Changing air filter in 2009 Jetta

ks-tdi

TDI
2009 Jetta
Either I am blind or there is no mention in any of the VW manuals about when or how to change the engine air filter. Yea I don't have really a "how to question" but I thought I could check the service booklet to determine when the dealer should have done this during one of my 3 free oil changes. I know they did not make mention of changing it recently at 33K miles so I am assuming it never has been replaced. Any thoughts from someone who has better eyes than I have??:confused:

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
The only thing I saw in the Warranty and Maintenance guide was a mention at 60k miles or one year after last change. I will probably change mine annually or with each oil change at 10k,20k,30k............ I'm thinking I read somewhere that it called to be changed every 20k.

Dweisel

ks-tdi

TDI
2009 Jetta
With your comment about 60K miles, I was able to find it in the actual owners manual. Thanks. That sure seems like a very long time. Since it has not been serviced yet I will be changing this weekend.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
FYI, in suburban DC, at 21k, mine appeared to be rather dirty (can't say "clogged"), I guess from all the sooty salty dust from the heavy snows we had. The pre-filter looked pretty nasty, and I couldn't see a bright flashlight through it.
No noticeabl echange in performance or mileage after the change. I'l probably continue to change it every 20k miles.

Is it really true that the gasket on the air filter is a "one time compression" and shouldn't be opened up for inspection? I find that hard to believe.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Prior to the 09 models it was 40,000 miles for the PD engined MKV cars. Comparing them to farm tractor filters it would seem like they could last a lot longer than the specified service interval.

That said, I change mine each 40,000 miles, just like the book says. YMMV.

Bill

Last edited:

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The service manual also states 1 year. Change intervals are also going to be determined by the conditions you run in. Dusty rural roads are going to make a filter dirtier quicker than most other conditions.

Dweisel

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
My maintenance manual says at 60,000mi and at every 6 years, regardless of miles driven.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
El Dobro said:
My maintenance manual says at 60,000mi and at every 6 years, regardless of miles driven.
Page 41 Service at 60,000 miles or one year after last service,whichever occurs first.

I guess that means the first air filter is good for 60,000 miles and then service annually after that. At least thats if its to be taken literally. I'll be doing mine once a year whether it needs it or not. Same on the fuel filter,once a year whether it needs it or not.

ks-tdi

TDI
2009 Jetta
Dweisel...

OK maybe this is not as easy as I thought. I have all the screws loosened up but the top lid does not want to break free. What am I missing??

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
ks-tdi said:
With your comment about 60K miles, I was able to find it in the actual owners manual. Thanks. That sure seems like a very long time. Since it has not been serviced yet I will be changing this weekend.

You have 60,000 miles on your car already? Bring it to the GTG next month and someone will be glad to help you change it.

Look in the Mid-west forum for the DCOTC GTG.

Bill

ks-tdi

TDI
2009 Jetta
I guess that why real mechanics have good lighting in their garages. Didn't see those rear screws. With those out it does make a difference.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ks-tdi said:
I guess that why real mechanics have good lighting in their garages. Didn't see those rear screws. With those out it does make a difference.
Don't feel bad I did the same thing the first and second time I checked it out. Only its not the light. There is something like 8+ screws holding it secure.

Dweisel

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
JETTA TDI 2009, JSW 2013 DSG PANO
ks-tdi said:
Same thing happened to me yesterday, when I was trying to take the cover off, those rear screws are hiding very well.

I got a new one after 12k miles, the old one was just dirty not bad but 60k miles is way too much I think.
Maybe every 20k miles is ok but after this long winter, no way.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
ks-tdi said:
Either I am blind or there is no mention in any of the VW manuals about when or how to change the engine air filter. Yea I don't have really a "how to question" but I thought I could check the service booklet to determine when the dealer should have done this during one of my 3 free oil changes. I know they did not make mention of changing it recently at 33K miles so I am assuming it never has been replaced. Any thoughts from someone who has better eyes than I have??:confused:
This might be counter intuitive, but with oem recommendations @ 40,000 miles, I have been changing air filters (MK IV) @ 60,000 miles

Actually a "used" oem air filter filters the air better than a new one. Obviously, you don't want the air filter to be jammed clogged. Another thing is since you have changed the air filter early (@33k) with latest oem recommendation of 60,000 miles, it would be best not to yield to temptation and unscrew the air box (to check) until the next time you decide to change the air filter ( again oem recommendation in another 60,000 miles) When you unseat and reseat the silicon air filter sealing material , you increase the chances of creating a leak. This of course allows more of LESS filtered air in, aka DIRT/silicon particles.

ks-tdi

TDI
2009 Jetta
Thanks for all the responses. Had I never left the interstate highway system, 60K miles might work. But with driving through blowing dust and sand because of our great Kansas winds, I wanted to open it up early. While the filter didn't look terribly bad, I couldn't begin to see any light through it. Besides I was on a roll. Changed out my fuel filter and the cabin filter so I just couldn't help myself.