Green nozzle handle diesel? Not always!

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Variant TDI Black w/Gray
Emabrrassing noob move of the week:

Every place I have ever visited I have always looked for the green nozzle cover at the service station. This past week I tried to fill the tank in NC and was having a horrible time getting the pump to work for me. Eventually the attendent came out and let me know that I had the gasoline nozzle in the tank filler and was pushing the diesel selection button on the pump, therefore it would never work! It was fortunate for me that their pump system didn't permit the gasoline to flow.

Yes, I should have noticed that the spout was a smaller diameter on the gas nozzle. Did I? Nope - that would be too easy.

What was strange, to me at least, is the diesel nozzle cover was black and the gasoline nozzle cover green. Is this unusual or I am living in some sort of alternate universe? It's now much easier for me to understand how the mis-fueling posts here on TDIclub.com could happen.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
daedalus said:
Emabrrassing noob move of the week:

Every place I have ever visited I have always looked for the green nozzle cover at the service station. This past week I tried to fill the tank in NC and was having a horrible time getting the pump to work for me. Eventually the attendent came out and let me know that I had the gasoline nozzle in the tank filler and was pushing the diesel selection button on the pump, therefore it would never work! It was fortunate for me that their pump system didn't permit the gasoline to flow.

Yes, I should have noticed that the spout was a smaller diameter on the gas nozzle. Did I? Nope - that would be too easy.

What was strange, to me at least, is the diesel nozzle cover was black and the gasoline nozzle cover green. Is this unusual or I am living in some sort of alternate universe? It's now much easier for me to understand how the mis-fueling posts here on TDIclub.com could happen.
Was it a BP? That's the only instance I could think of. My dad said when they were visiting the Caribbean, that diesel nozzles were red. Said he bout filled up a rented moped with diesel! Oops!

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
Just a few days ago, I stopped at a BP to top off before a long trip this weekend. Picked up the green nozzle and pushed the start button, when I realized my mistake. It was the reg unleaded nozzle.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
There is no "standard" in the USA about what color nozzle does what. PAY ATTENTION ! About the best you can really hope for is the seperate diesel pump - then there is NO confusion about what nozzle to use :D .

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Yup, I see green, black, and yellow nozzle covers for diesel here. No safe substitute for looking at the writing on the pump.

VWTDIBeetle

BANNED, Frank M alias
TDI
Beetle
I was at the rear of a Shell staion where only diesel is pumped.
They had off-road and road diesel nozzles.
I used the green one as I assumed the yellow was for off-road.

Half way through my fillup I realized I was pumping in off-road.

The yellow was for road diesel and the green for off-raod..
I was red-faced.....

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't guess there's any standard but a lot of the diesel pumps I have seen with the gas pumps are green (I guess at BP, the gas nozzles are green too). But if the pump is tucked away from the gas, then they're whatever color.

Last edited:

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
There is NO NATIONWIDE STANDARD COLOR CODE FOR FUEL TYPE.

(sorry for the caps)

Teach yourself and anyone you care about to READ the SIGNS.

Never RUSH when you REFUEL, mistakes can kill you, not just damage your car.

If one of you that have a way with words would write something stickie-worthy, I'll bet the mods would stickie it.

Good luck!!

Bill

ATLSilverTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Special Edition Jetta - Silver
I've seen green, most common, yellow and black.

I have never seen a diffference in the diameter of the nozzle vs. gas. I have been to a pump with high flow, my car does't accept those.
John

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
The Gulf I usually go to has a seperate diesel pump. The new stations that have gone up around me have the gas and diesel pumps combined, that's where the problem is. You just have to be careful and read the pumps because the nozzles are the same size.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI

DO NOT put GASOLINE in this airplane!!!

Imagine the DOH factor when you flame out at 100 feet above the trees after take-off due to somebody not paying attention!

DB

soberups

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Every pump I have ever seen in Oregon is...black or red for gasoline, green for diesel, blue for biodiesel, yellow for E85 flexfuel. I dont know if its a law here, but that is the way all of them are.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Drivbiwire said:

DO NOT put GASOLINE in this airplane!!!

Imagine the DOH factor when you flame out at 100 feet above the trees after take-off due to somebody not paying attention!

DB
The embarassment wouldn't last long..;)

Bill

Mondog1

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4V
I almost filled up at a BP with RUG once since the pump handle was green. I caught myself before I started pumping. WHOOPS

thermopylaetech

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Variant TDi/PD
I had a similur incident this weekend. Riding a borrowed motorcycle, stoped for fuel and basicly forgot. I am so used to putting el'Cheapo gas in my truck and #2 in the VW that I blanked out and pumped about a buck worth of 89 into a bike that lists a minimum of 93. Oppsie!

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
snafu13 said:
Hess here has red nozzles for diesel.
Green or Black for gas.
__. In the UK, green is the standard for unleaded fuel, both the plastic trigger guard on the nozzle and a stripe on the pump itself. Black for diesel. There's no standard in the US.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
Sometimes the spout diameters are different, diesel being larger. But not always. Might keep you from putting diesel in the gasser, but not the reverse.

Nearly happened to me at a BP when they changed over from Amoco. They changed the color on the pump to yellow. Green was UG of some sort.

Reggie870

TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI 5sdp Pkg 2
mrGutWrench said:
__. In the UK, green is the standard for unleaded fuel, both the plastic trigger guard on the nozzle and a stripe on the pump itself. Black for diesel. There's no standard in the US.
Sad thing is when we were vacationing in Switzerland I pulled into the gas station, grabbed the green handle and put 3 liters in before I noticed it wasn't diesel. I was honest with the rental car company and he told us it happens all the time!

b4black

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta blue
5 gallon diesel jugs are yellow by law and Wisconsin has yellow diesel nozzle's by law.

Then the e85 guys come along and swipe yellow for themselves (something about corn being yellow).

Most diesel nozzles are the larger "leaded" gasoline size. Most poeple can't tell the differance just by looking. Big-Rigs use a 1" nozzle.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Reggie870 said:
Sad thing is when we were vacationing in Switzerland I pulled into the gas station, grabbed the green handle and put 3 liters in before I noticed it wasn't diesel. I was honest with the rental car company and he told us it happens all the time!
For 3 liters I don't think I would have told them. :cool:

Tims88

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon
I pumped 14 L of regular into our F550 before I realised what I was doing. The pump was off by itself, yellow handle, etc... I was tired.

Couldn't tell the difference in how it ran. So that would be 14 L of regular in a 140 L tank.

Reggie870

TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI 5sdp Pkg 2
dhdenney said:
For 3 liters I don't think I would have told them. :cool:
I know but I'm anally honest sometimes. I was amazed at how much power the vehicle lost on the trip up to Basil with a little unleaded in the tank.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
I remember learning in 3rd or 4th grade not to assume anything. Remember that stupid phrase? You make an ASS out of U and ME?

I wonder how many accidental gasoline fill ups by a spouse, partner, friend, sibling, etc. would have been avoided by clearly stating: "Look for the pump LABLED Diesel." Instead of saying, "Look for the green handle."

The few times I've had to loan either of my TDIs to family members I've made sure the tank was full and even refilled from about 1/2 tank once, just to be safe. I figured $50 and a lot less aggrevation was a better price than a wrecked IP.

d2305

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Ram EcoDiesel
I almost made this mistake a couple of year ago. I've noticed that the diesel nozzles feel different (oily) than the gassers. Another tale tell sign is the discoloration of the concrete by the diesel pump.