Topping off G12 - where to get deionized water?

truav8r

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL TDI Silver Auto
I got a gallon of G12 today, just to top off the reservoir. (No leak, it was just delivered with the coolant at the "Min" line). I had assumed I could use distilled water, but the bottle says to mix with de-ionized water. Now wally world has everything, but not that /images/graemlins/smile.gif Where do I find deionized water?

Also... the coolant I bought was part #G 012 A8FA4. It appears to be the "new" red variety? Any problem mixing this with my existing pink/orange G12??

Thanks.
- sean

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
The coolant you got is backward compatible with previous versions of G12 and G11.

Distilled water will work just as well. Grocery stores often have distlled and de-ionized water by the gallon bottle.

Joe Fisher

Veteran Member
TDI
NA
I did the *exact* same thing yesterday. My coolant has been right below the Min. line in the overflow reservoir for forever.:-/
I had to guy a gallon of G12, I used about 5 ounces of it. As for the distilled Water, as Mogolf says, I just bought mine at the grocery store in a gallon jug.

Benlinus

Veteran Member
How often should you flush and fill the coolant? I've gone about 40K since I bought mine with 55K on it, so I figure it's about time.
I'm thinking I'll just buy the coolant and bring it down to Valvoline Instant Oil Change. They've got that "sucker-outer" thing. I figure they'd charge me $10 or something and I'll be in and out in 20 minutes.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
VW's coolant is a good product and doesn't need to be flushed. Leave it be, top up as necessary, or refill whenever the system is opened up for component replacement (e.g. water pump replacement).

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
I remember attempting to flush a coolant system a bunch of years ago. I was never sure about the mix = had to use one of those specific gravity ball thingys. Not to mention that I wasn't using distilled water. Both factors I think would argue for not flushing.

truav8r

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL TDI Silver Auto
Ok, so I topped up the coolant with G12 and distilled water. Peeking down into the coolant tank, I noticed some fine "dirt" particles that seemed to be sitting near the bottom of the tank. I have never opened the coolant tank before this.

Anything to be concerned about? Just normal radiator crud??
- sean

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's normal. Don't worry about.