2014 Jetta or Passat?

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6MT-VW bought back as a lemon
Most adults are not happy sitting behind another adult in a A4 platform VW. The rear seat is very small. I'm short and have spent an extraordinary amount of my life in coach airline seats but I still find the rear seat in my wagon on the snug side. And my kids complained bitterly once they got to their full height, and we're smaller than average these days. It's not width as much as head and legroom.

I have seen people trade MKVI Jettas for Passats because they "outgrew" them on here and it just kills me!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
That I agree doesn't make a lot of sense unless they have other reasons. The current Jetta is larger on most dimensions than my '97 Passat.

cfm56

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI SportWagen
passat is hands down a nicer vehicle and not that much more to where its a night and day diff price wise. For the ride, mpg, size, suspension, design (in n out), the 3k more is worth it.

dknj

TDI
None yet
Will there be any upgrades or advantages to waiting for the 2014 model and will it come in late spring such as the salesman said?
Is anyone able to answer this original question? and know when someone will still be able to order a 2013 until?

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
I don't get this outgrew it argument. If you go from a Jetta to a Minivan because you have so many kids....ok then. But to go from a Jetta to a Passat to get the extra inch between people in the back seat....? That doesn't make sense to me. It just seems like trying to justify getting the Passat. If you like it more then get it but honestly I've driven both and room difference isn't enough to justify the thousands of dollars difference between the two cars.

I'm pretty sure that you are confused or just trying to be charming, as anyone that has sat in an NMS Passat knows that with the drivers seat all the way back provides alot more than a one inch improvement over a MKV Jetta.

As much as I feel like I am wasting my time responding to your snide comment, I felt it was worth the time to let you know that I can now leave the drivers seat in the full back position (normal for me) and have a person ride in the seat behind me, something I was absolutley not able to do in the Jetta. I'll leave it to you to look up the rear seat leg room specs.

Funny you state that you have driven both and cant justify the added expense. Do you drive with the seat all the way back? Have you tried to sit in the back seat of a Jetta with the drivers seat all the way back? I'll guess you havent.

FWIW, my teenage daughter (5'7") just commented last week how much she loved all the extra room in the Passat.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
I'm tall, 3 younger kids. The Passat is the smallest vehicle I considered. The more rear seat room the better!

But if you are average to shorter height, no kids, I can understand how that is not important.

Also, the packages/trim levels are more restricted in the Passat than the Jetta.

Last edited:

VWJayhawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Is anyone able to answer this original question? and know when someone will still be able to order a 2013 until?
I would think by the end of the month we would know what changes might come in 2014. I think we are too far along for any major changes at this point (simply because of time to implement).

I think you generally have until mid May to order a new car, as the last productions happen late June or early July (this was Audi's story anyways, so assume it is the same or close).

inthered

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
I'm also looking for more room as when my toddler is in the booster seat it is not very comfortable for her unless I push the passenger seat all the way forward.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
If I had to choose between the two sedans, I would go for the Passat. The Jetta is just too dumbed down for me. I've had both in gassers for rentals and prefer the Passat.

Open the search wider and I'd get another sportswagen. I (6'1") have riden in the back seat of the JSW and the Golf when my daughter (5'1") or wife (5'5") is driving and it's not too bad. My daughter usually sits behind me when I'm driving on road trips because my wife likes to have her seat reclined.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
2012 ordering cutoff was mid May, and first 2014's hit dealer lots 2nd week of July. 2014 Content was known prior to close of ordering a 2012. Who knows if the same will be true for 2014.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I'm happy to speculate. VW has a history of "decontenting" models as the years go on - they already did that between 2012 and 2013. The lower trim Passats will probably end up with fewer features for the same price, and the high trim Passats will increase in price for 2014.

So my advice is to go back in time and buy a 2012. ;)

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
I have seen people trade MKVI Jettas for Passats because they "outgrew" them on here and it just kills me!
I did outgrow my grungy 2000 TDi Beetle, because in those 12 years I went over 50.

You get tired of seeing idiots with bigger cars cut in front of you because you are driving the smaller Bug (though roomy inside), especially the SUV Trash.

Particularly here in the Northeast, people have hate issues toward VW Bugs.

BTW, the new Bug is shaped like a Pinto...

Rower

TDI
passat 2005
Had couple Jettas before I got Passat. Passat has more smooth and comfortable ride. Like it.

raptor2TDI

TDI
13 passat SE TDI
i jumped into a passat because the interior was slightly nicer and it seemed to get slightly better mpg. It is also nice having a slightly larger car. So far so good, im actually enjoying it (thought this was going to be another "bought a hybrid, sold a hybrid 2 months later" story again)

wild_phil

TDI
None yet
0% VW financing????? Oh I am calling my dealer tomorrow or Friday about all this.

Learning about TDI's.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Late getting back to Ad Blue issue with all VW cars. Read the Touareg site and you will see reams of issues with the the pumps systems and issues with ad blue. I own a 2012 Treg and so far have not had an issues,but thousands of replacements have been forced to be made. All German makers have had problems with these systems. My fingers are crossed with mine.:(

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
My assumption is that the issues with the adblue tanks is due to corrosion from the urea.

tdireader

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
I like both but for me the contest was between JSW, Passat, Treg.

I ended up with the Passat.

The jetta is a very nice vehicle but the passat gave me more space with little higher mpg.

Jetta:

• Lowest trims loose center console and other trim items
  • No KESSY / keyless entry
  • less rear seat room
  • No rain sensing wipers
  • No urea tank

Passat:

• SEL has crappy rns 510
  • SEL has keyless entry and rain sensing wipers
  • Base model has better interior than base model jetta
  • More space
  • Much larger trunk

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Go with the Jetta. I got the Passat and it is not the same level of appointment as the 2005 Passat, so why pay the extra money? I can't justify the extra $$$.

All the gadgets are an overhead. The NAV maps cost you to update about $200 every year. The bluetooth phone with the handsfree mic sucks on my car. You cannot hear the person but you can hear every concrete panel divider "thunk" "thunking" over them.

As to MPG that is a sore subject. Look at my Fuely. There are those that blame my driving habits for the "lower" than them numbers, but it is what it is. That higher MPG is not a guarantee. The DSG is disappointing in several ways so stick with the M6.

The new Passat is a downgrade. The DEF (Urea) maintenance is extra with the Passat. Sure it is bigger. The dynamica "leather" seats are a joke. The plastic is cheaper in the Passat than in the past.

Oh and the NOISE. This Passat is so much more noisy than the 05's. Same for seat comfort and ride handling and comfort. Once you have known better this Passat disappoints.

Sure I may be the lone sheep here, but I am being honest with my experience with 4 other Volkswagens and the Passat disappointed me after a year.

Last edited:

tdireader

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
I agree that the NMS passat is definitely a lesser build than the B5.5 passat. I've got both and the 2005 definitely feels better and has less road noise.

However, I new what I was getting into when I picked up my 2013 SEL. Road noise and all!

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I agree that the NMS passat is definitely a lesser build than the B5.5 passat. I've got both and the 2005 definitely feels better and has less road noise.

However, I new what I was getting into when I picked up my 2013 SEL. Road noise and all!
When they took all that money off the sticker with the NMS, some things had to go. If you read the "gripes" thread you'll probably run across more that were the result of this. However, as an "American market" sedan, the NMS has been an unqualified success. We finally bought a TDI SEL Premium after looking at quite a variety of cars since February. The other car we were considering (and it was a VERY close decision) was the Ford Fusion Hybrid. In top trim, like the Passat, it would have run $4-5K more. I'm not saying that was the only factor in our decision to buy the VW, but it was part of it.
I'm just saying that you have to look at the whole picture. If you say it's a lesser build, you should consider why.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
What was the price of a 2005 Passat TDI, Tom?

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
What was the price of a 2005 Passat TDI, Tom?
$24,500 for the TDI GLS with the 17" tire package, leather package and delivery. My dealer gave me this price because we were buying two of them. So $24,500 for one and $25,000 for the other because it had the mud flaps.

2012 Passat was $33,000 for the SEL Premium 6 years later.

Last edited:

detroitmike

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat DSG
I had a 2012 Jetta for a year and a half and traded up for the Passat. Exponentially better car. My Jetta must have been built on Cinco de Mayo cause it was a POS. No joke. VW is lucky to keep me after that one.

Passat is much more comfortable for serious highway miles. I can kick back and literally sprawl out like I'm sitting on my living room couch compared to the Jetta. I felt like I was just to confined in the Jetta for the type of driving I do.

And to boot, I'm getting equal mileage with a DSG in the Passat as opposed to a manual in the Jetta. No IC icing, lower fuel pump issues, assembled in Chattanooga. Passat is a win.

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
Go with the Jetta. I got the Passat and it is not the same level of appointment as the 2005 Passat, so why pay the extra money? I can't justify the extra $$$.

All the gadgets are an overhead. The NAV maps cost you to update about $200 every year. The bluetooth phone with the handsfree mic sucks on my car. You cannot hear the person but you can hear every concrete panel divider "thunk" "thunking" over them.

As to MPG that is a sore subject. Look at my Fuely. There are those that blame my driving habits for the "lower" than them numbers, but it is what it is. That higher MPG is not a guarantee. The DSG is disappointing in several ways so stick with the M6.

The new Passat is a downgrade. The DEF (Urea) maintenance is extra with the Passat. Sure it is bigger. The dynamica "leather" seats are a joke. The plastic is cheaper in the Passat than in the past.

Oh and the NOISE. This Passat is so much more noisy than the 05's. Same for seat comfort and ride handling and comfort. Once you have known better this Passat disappoints.

Sure I may be the lone sheep here, but I am being honest with my experience with 4 other Volkswagens and the Passat disappointed me after a year.
You can justify extra price since it's bigger car, more trunk space, very comfortable for big family (4 people), while drives like mid-size car (i think Passat is full size car). You got great deal for Jetta, but in the end Jetta Prem with Nav and Passat SE (well equipped) is just about 4 grand or 80 bucks a month. I would better get slightly used Passat SE then Jetta. And it will have higher resale value.

Passat has option for manual tranny but at lower SE trim. But I like DSG, it's good tranny, and doesn't suffer MPG.

DEF is saving our planet or does at least little more cleaner, even I'm not liberal or "green party member". It cost nothing, save one lunch and it will compensate for the urea bottle.

Seats with dynamica are amazing, no sliding around over the corner, so sweating or freezing on summer and winter times respectably.

Well, I came from BMW 550 (last my car), I tell you it's not BMW in the term of quietness, but I installed the weather strip on rear back seats, and it got better. On hwy is quiet as it can be as I said before it's not BMW. I had 03' Passat 1.8T back 6/7 years ago, it was more noisy then this model it's sure.

I had Jetta's, GTi's, Passat's, Audi's, and I can tell you this model is way better from VW AG than all previous generation. I happy so far, but I'm not big fan of Jetta's, if I was on market for that size car from VW I would buy Golf model, but it could be part of European man is talking. I think Jetta is more American style, that never liked even I owed one for 2.5 years as lease car.

quadrun1

Veteran Member
TDI
past: 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Traded in a 2010 Jetta TDI DSG this past May for my 2013 Passat SE TDI 6M.

The Jetta had better acceleration, handled better and was more tossable, with a tighter turning radius. That's about it, as far as what I liked better. Oh, and I could open/close the windows via the remote control keyfob (after a VCDS tweak). I never had HPFP failure or frozen intercooler problems but those issues were always in the back of my mind. I am not sure if these issues are resolved in the latest Jettas.

The Passat is much roomier, more comfortable, and far quieter (85 mph in the Passat is quieter than the Jetta was at 60 mph), and gets better fuel economy. I am hoping the AdBlue will be a more reliable system, as my Jetta had trouble with both the DPF and LP-EGR. Equipment-wise, I am happy that the radio is better (built-in HD Radio and Bluetooth Audio). The brakes are much better without that awful rear-bias the Jetta had. Oh, and the dangerous horn delay in the Jetta is gone in the Passat!

For around $23.5k the '13 Passat TDI SE 6M is hard to beat.

Last edited:

azerite

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Wagon, 2005 jetta
I have a 2005 pd, and a 2010 jsw. The Jetta wagon is great but nothing beats my 05 keep it it'll last forever..

sent from mobile

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have an 03 Passat and really love how it cruises down the highway. Ride is vastly different compared to the JSW and Golf. Sure wish it had a Diesel engine though.