VW Canada Settlement - $2.1 Billion

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Though, it serves me right for being lazy, and not having read the entire agreement, in the first place.
Christ, I just read part of Schedule H. A friggin novel is shorter. Leave it to lawyers for spewing endlessly.

Last edited:

shak911

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-372000KM
Yesterday I test drove 2x Mazda 3, both were hatchbacks, one was a GX, was ok, but the GT fully loaded is the one I fell in love with, we started talking numbers, I thought I'll trade in my 04 TDI,(no room for a 4th car in my driveway) but the salesman left it to the last minute to show me the carproof report, the car in 2015 had an insurance claim of $12,000. repair to the rear and centre rear.

That was a deal breaker for me, he should've known to tell me that upfront, I did not think a Mazda dealer would do such thing.

For now I will wait to sell back my 12 Passat and then shop around for Mazda 3, GT.

I will keep my 04 Jetta, as a it has been a good car to me, still going strong and reliable at 362,000KM.

As for rust, my daughter 05 Mazda 3 got rusty real fast, but I understand the rust issue has been addressed since by Mazda.

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
As for rust, my daughter 05 Mazda 3 got rusty real fast, but I understand the rust issue has been addressed since by Mazda.
They all do, some faster than others.

Just have Krown T-40 applied to your next car. And if you have an issue as I do with having holes drilled, Krown it yourself. My 15 year old Honda had zero rust. It went to a friend who was thrilled to get it still in like new condition.

shak911

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-372000KM
They all do, some faster than others.

Just have Krown T-40 applied to your next car. And if you have an issue as I do with having holes drilled, Krown it yourself. My 15 year old Honda had zero rust. It went to a friend who was thrilled to get it still in like new condition.
I have the equipment to spray the Rust Check, I do not mind the few holes, is the Krown stuff in a liquid form, and is it available for DIYselfer, and where, annual thing or just once ?

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I have the equipment to spray the Rust Check, I do not mind the few holes, is the Krown stuff in a liquid form, and is it available for DIYselfer, and where, annual thing or just once ?
Krown is available in T32 (pink) and T40 (gold), both are liquids. The T40 is thicker and better for the underside. I use it exclusively within the body panels and underside. It creeps, especially on warmer days.

I buy a 20 liter pail at the Krown dealer.

It is applied annually. Any product that is applied once is useless as far as I'm concerned. I apply Krown T40 the first three or four years in a row. After that, you can go every second year.

We (a lab where I worked) tested Rust Check along with Krown and one other product according to test standards. The Krown came out on top.

And don't waste your time with those electronic modules that are supposed to stop corrosion. A total waste of money.

shak911

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-372000KM
Krown is available in T32 (pink) and T40 (gold), both are liquids. The T40 is thicker and better for the underside. I use it exclusively within the body panels and underside. It creeps, especially on warmer days.

I buy a 20 liter pail at the Krown dealer.

It is applied annually. Any product that is applied once is useless as far as I'm concerned. I apply Krown T40 the first three or four years in a row. After that, you can go every second year.

We (a lab where I worked) tested Rust Check along with Krown and one other product according to test standards. The Krown came out on top.

And don't waste your time with those electronic modules that are supposed to stop corrosion. A total waste of money.
Thank you for the reply.

When you a say a dealer, do you mean the shop where they apply it ?

How much for 20L ?

How many cars/coats 20L does on average car size?

Shelf life ?

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Thank you for the reply.

When you a say a dealer, do you mean the shop where they apply it ?

How much for 20L ?

How many cars/coats 20L does on average car size?

Shelf life ?
Yes, a Krown application centre.

Price was about $230 years ago.

If you put 4 liters on a car, that is really soaking it. So you can do a car at least 5 times.

No shelf life.

rhskcdn

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Wagon 2014 Reflex Silver
Just used the new Canadian Black Book (CBB) tool at the bottom of the VW settlement page.

With 60K kms, our 2014 Golf wagon, Comfortline 6s has a CBB value of $17,350. Original MSRP was $28,075. Not accounting for an undercarridge dent (visible on the passenger side) and a windshield crack.

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
So what were to happen if I were to buy myself a 2014 Touareg TDI tomorrow? Would it be fixable? Wonder what will happen to all of the course people want to keep, but that can't be fixed?

rhskcdn

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Wagon 2014 Reflex Silver
Did you also try to take a shortcut through a snow bank only to find out it was pure ice? ;)
LOL. I have no idea what happened but it pushed up like it was made of tin. No paint damage that I can see and certainly no door issues. Just looks weird.

shak911

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-372000KM
LOL. I have no idea what happened but it pushed up like it was made of tin. No paint damage that I can see and certainly no door issues. Just looks weird.
I do not think this should impact the value, it is accidental, as the price you'll receive is before the visual inspection, which leads me to wonder what the inspection is all about, maybe to make sure you did not strip the vehicle.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
So what were to happen if I were to buy myself a 2014 Touareg TDI tomorrow? Would it be fixable? Wonder what will happen to all of the course people want to keep, but that can't be fixed?
2014 3.0 tdi isnt even on the buyback list.....everyone is so worried about nothing, if there is no fix they will just make you pay your emission test fee and plate sticker the government isnt going to stop you from driving it they want youre money...further more it passes all the testing we have in ontario currently anyway. They are not going to take youre vehicle....they cant have mine regardless how they try

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 3.0 tdi isnt even on the buyback list.....everyone is so worried about nothing, if there is no fix they will just make you pay your emission test fee and plate sticker the government isnt going to stop you from driving it they want youre money...further more it passes all the testing we have in ontario currently anyway. They are not going to take youre vehicle....they cant have mine regardless how they try
No, it's not part of the 2.0L settlement, but as I understand it, it is one of the affected vehicles. I'm worried about pulling the trigger and buying a 2014 I've been eyeing, only to run into issues down the road.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
No, it's not part of the 2.0L settlement, but as I understand it, it is one of the affected vehicles. I'm worried about pulling the trigger and buying a 2014 I've been eyeing, only to run into issues down the road.
What issues? You've been reading the internet hysteria a little too long. The issue is not between the owner and governemnt, it's between VW and the government.

shak911

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-372000KM
Mark my words we will be paying with increased licensing fees. Don't expect the government to give us anything for free, do you?
Sorry, don't mean to Hijack the topic, what does it mean No Fee...we still have to get our cars tested,right ? does the garage bill the government...or what

and yes stickers are up from $84 to $120....no free lunch..they take $36 extra and give you back $15, and you're supposed to happy...

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
yes im aware but only 9-12 3.0s are considered first gen 3.0s....second gens will not get a buy back option, mines a 12 and i can assure you they will not stop me from driving it...how can they i didnt build it how is it my fault i bought it.....its a voluntary buyback therefore you can keep it if you choose plain and simple

Last edited:

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What issues? You've been reading the internet hysteria a little too long. The issue is not between the owner and governemnt, it's between VW and the government.
If they can't get an approved fix for the second generation engines, and a buy back is forced. Losing money on the buy back then. That issue. There is no approved fix yet.

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sorry, don't mean to Hijack the topic, what does it mean No Fee...we still have to get our cars tested,right ? does the garage bill the government...or what
and yes stickers are up from $84 to $120....no free lunch..they take $36 extra and give you back $15, and you're supposed to happy...
Before garages charged us half and got the other half from the government. Now they will get the full amount from the government.

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
If they can't get an approved fix for the second generation engines, and a buy back is forced. Losing money on the buy back then. That issue. There is no approved fix yet.
On a MTO site, they already stated that the TDI will only need to pass a CEL test as any other car would have to.

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
On a MTO site, they already stated that the TDI will only need to pass a CEL test as any other car would have to.
that's just great! I have a recurring error code from the Cyl. 3 glow plug pressure sensor. oh well, I have till February 2018 to fix it.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
If, if, if! This is all hysteria! "They" can't force you to do anything. Relax and act as business as usual until an OFFICIAL announcement is made.

shak911

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-372000KM
that's just great! I have a recurring error code from the Cyl. 3 glow plug pressure sensor. oh well, I have till February 2018 to fix it.
what a funny coincident..I am having the same with cylinder 2 & 3, I think it may be the harness, as I swapped cylinder 1 GP with Cyl 2 and 3 with 4,

The problem returned on cyl 3 only, so far.
cyl 1,4 no codes, I ordered a set of 4, from amazon.ca (chinese) for $19 just in case, I have to do my emission by next Friday...I think the issue maybe in the splice where the heavy duty harness splices with the individual wires.

What does it mean TDI cel only, do they check for readiness ?