16 Jetta TSI

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Well, since my TDI let go on me, we needed another car while we were out here in NE. So after a long decision, we went and test drove one. 2016 Jetta SE, 1.4 TSI/manual (hard to find a manual apparently!). Drove decent. Good torque down low, decent upper end. 150hp and 184 ft lbs (at 1400 rpm's).

So we haggled them down to 15K out the door. MSRP was 20,500 IIRC. Drove from Omaha to Lincoln. 5 miles of town driving, the rest was highway at 75mph, all with AC. Dash displayed 44MPG's when I pulled in (obviously we cant trust it, but its an indicator).

For the price, I dont see any other car out on the market place that can touch it. I dont know what the price of a TDI version would be, but I dont know if the premium would be worth it...

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Awesome! While I will certainly miss the "2-point-slow" that the 1.4L replaced due to its ruggedness and simplicity, it could never match the performance and fuel economy of the new 1.4L. I wish they'd offer that engine in a stripper Golf.

Hope to see how it holds up over time, thanks for posting. What kind of RPM does it turn at what speeds on the highway?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
That's pretty good. Does it feel like it pulls the hills OK in high gear? No need to downshift? A/C running effect it much?

jessabug

Veteran Member
TDI
Hubby's 2001 Jetta TDI, '84 IDI turbo diesel Jetta
The new gassers that VW has are pretty impressive. As are the gear ratios in the manuals. My husband picked up a '16 GLI 6-speed on New Years Eve to replace his '01 TDI. He drives highway twice a week to a job site and was getting low-mid 40's in the TDI at 80 with the AC. Pulled 38mpg doing the same commute recently in the GLI so we're not complaining. Definitely a fan of it.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
This thread may be making my day.................(as I had no clue the 1.4 liter was available in the USA)

a smiling ez.........................

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
It has plenty of power. Down below I'd say 1700 RPM's there is a little lag for turbo spool up. But it definitely has good down low torque, and the upper end is smooth and pulls well. It pulls better than a stage 1 tuned BEW, maybe less low end torque but a much better upper end

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
It was the only manual equipped one I could find within a decent drive radius. AC had no noticeable effects on driving. The only downside I would say is that I do have to actually give it some throttle to get going from a stop, more than a TDI would require.

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
My stepson just bought a 2016 Jetta SE 1.4 automatic for about $17K out the door. I was impressed driving it as to how quick it is, although we have no hills around here to see how it does on one.

You can't get in a Honda or Hyundai similar model for this price.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
Senor FordGuy100 - I'd sure be interested in mo' data on your highway mpg (if you can see your way clear here).

TIA,

ez sends

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Just an update. Stop and go seems to average below city driving MPG claims. This is probably the case for a lot of the smaller GTDI's out there. Luckily, I dont do much of that. Suburban driving seems to be around the low 30 MPG point.

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
First road trip. Lincoln NE to Fort Smith AR. Half flat, half rolling hills (northern AR had some decent hills) 75mph cruise with AC, 41.5mpg's. Wife did the same run leaving in the morning vs me at night, and averaged 43mpg's driving the same (both seemed low to me). I filled with non ethonol 87 oct. I might try premium for the way back for fun.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
My 2013 Jetta Hybrid had this motor......with a 27 HP electric Motor attached and a 7 Speed DSG transmission Loved the way it drove .......sadly the Hybrid was a huge bust for VW and is being dropped for 2017 and unfortunately they do not attach that DSG to the stand alone 1.4 engine....

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
The filter to turbo intake tubing came off at the turbo. Started smoking pulling a grade then started to sound like a Subaru boxer straight piped when running. Turbo is toast, bunch of aluminum and dirt in the intake manifold. Sounds like a bad rod knock now. I'll dig into it when I get back to Oregon in mid September. It might just get a ALH, swap

NoFuiYo

TDI
None :'(
Well, since my TDI let go on me, we needed another car while we were out here in NE. So after a long decision, we went and test drove one. 2016 Jetta SE, 1.4 TSI/manual (hard to find a manual apparently!). Drove decent. Good torque down low, decent upper end. 150hp and 184 ft lbs (at 1400 rpm's).

So we haggled them down to 15K out the door. MSRP was 20,500 IIRC. Drove from Omaha to Lincoln. 5 miles of town driving, the rest was highway at 75mph, all with AC. Dash displayed 44MPG's when I pulled in (obviously we cant trust it, but its an indicator).

For the price, I dont see any other car out on the market place that can touch it. I dont know what the price of a TDI version would be, but I dont know if the premium would be worth it...
Hey FordGuy100, did you have to finance through VW Credit to get that OTD price? I am curious because I would like to know how to negotiate down if I don't have to finance through VWC in order to get that price. Thank you in advance:)

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
I had experience with the 1.4L TSI in a 2013 Jetta Hybrid, also. It was a decent car, but some annoying sunroof and center console rattles. Driving around secondary roads on my 25 mile commutes to work in warm weather I could get around 50 mpg, no A/C. On the highway I'd get low to mid 40s. On the highway trips, I suspect the hybrid setup was just extra weight to carry around. With the 1.4L TSI alone, I'm not surprised it would get into the mid 40s mpg on the highway. Good little engine.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
They had a bunch of incentives that ended on July 5th-they now have "Year-End" deal of $1000 Visa card tempted to go test a manual one.

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
I actually got financed through a large bank (at a decent rate). I see they are running a 0% OAC for 60 months. They were asking $16,400 IIRC. I went in, said 15 OTD, they countered, but I said I didn't need the car and would walk away right then if they wouldnt do it. An hour later, we drove away.

I have been driving all city this tank, getting about 28-29 MPG. No AC in the morning, AC on the way back. It has plenty of scoot with the AC is going. Its a smooth running engine for sure. I'm tempted to tune it though, although nobody has any out yet. Not because its low on power (its decent), but because I have gearhead problems.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I actually got financed through a large bank (at a decent rate). I see they are running a 0% OAC for 60 months. They were asking $16,400 IIRC. I went in, said 15 OTD, they countered, but I said I didn't need the car and would walk away right then if they wouldnt do it. An hour later, we drove away.

I have been driving all city this tank, getting about 28-29 MPG. No AC in the morning, AC on the way back. It has plenty of scoot with the AC is going. Its a smooth running engine for sure. I'm tempted to tune it though, although nobody has any out yet. Not because its low on power (its decent), but because I have gearhead problems.

What options were on the Jetta at that good price? Wheels? Sunroof? Seats? etc?

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
The manual ones I've been seeing at that price point are basic-cloth,steel wheels,no roof. Some say technology package. The 1.8T's have a little more-rims,roof,fancier cloth for $22k-$23k sticker. Still sad to see all the new '15 TDI's w/ window stickers sitting in a row behind the dealers I've visited. I like the Cardinal Red or Silk Blue- one is in Rochester,one is in Buffalo. Not gonna get hopes up for financing,though. I really miss having a manual tranny......

NoFuiYo

TDI
That's good to know... a local dealer here was advertising $4000 off msrp on a 2016 GTI, but when I inquired they told me that I had to finance through VWC in order to get those $4K off... That's great that you didn't have to :)

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
If I were getting a 1.4L, I'd want a manual also. The Hybrid, however, came with a 7 speed DSG that was terrific.

NoFuiYo

TDI
If I were getting a 1.4L, I'd want a manual also. The Hybrid, however, came with a 7 speed DSG that was terrific.
What I heard about the transmission fluid on the hybrid is that it costs around $600-$700 to change:confused: because you have to drain the battery first.. the humble mechanic talked about that on one of his youtube videos.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
What I heard about the transmission fluid on the hybrid is that it costs around $600-$700 to change:confused: because you have to drain the battery first.. the humble mechanic talked about that on one of his youtube videos.
At 1st because the Hybrid had Dry Clutches VW said you didn't have to change the Fluid however about a year after I sold mine I got a notice from VW saying that yes you needed to change DSG fluid at 40,000 miles......and yes when work is Done on the car it has to denergized.....so it is no surprise to me that VW wants to charge this much

Last edited:

NoFuiYo

TDI
At 1st because the Hybrid had Dry Clutches VW said you didn't have to change the Fluid however about a year after I sold mine I got a notice from VW saying that yes you needed to change DSG fluid at 40,000 miles......and yes when work is Done on the car it has to denergized.....so it surprise me that VW does this
Not a pleasant surprise for sure for VW hybrid owners that thought they did not need to change the transmission fluid:eek:

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
What happened to the TDI,and which one?
I have a 2015 Jetta SEL TDI now trying to decide what I am going to do with VW will give me nearly $30K on a Buy Back.....I would to see this car get crushed..... May put it up for sale and try to get nearly the buy back value this one is. A rare beast......

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
It does have cloth seating. It has all standard options of the S plus backup camera, heated seats, push button start, and 16" Sedona wheels (off the top of my head). NO sunroof, I wont own any sort of car with one. For a cheap commuter it has some nice options, but it certainly isn't high end by any means (I'm not complaining though).

Only picture I have.

Last edited:

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
And I just looked at the Window sticker.

$20455 including options (like monster mats, roadside assitance package, etc) and delivery.

Still thats over 25% off.