It's -44, and I want to leave car running and lock doors - how?

Taz107

TDI
06 Jetta
When I run in to get my coffee from the local coffee shop on my way to work, I want to leave my car running, and lock the doors...is this possible with any combination of regular keys, valet key, and remotes?????

Also, I have found the only way to increase the idle is to turn on all the electrical accessories, defrost, mirrors, seats, and fan. This only increases idle by 100 or 200 RPM. Is there another way?

Thought of putting in command start, but with the idle so low, it would be pointless...wouldn't it be neat, start it remotely, and increase or decrease the idle speed with the remote as well....:D

No "shouldn't leave your car idleing blah blah blah" please...it was -44 this week, can't see it being good to shut off the car after running for only 2 minutes....to start again 2 minutes later...:confused:

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
This is where a drive-thru that sells good coffee would sure be nice!!

No solution here, but you have my sympathy. Sorry.

Please tell us, does your heater ever work and does your engine warm

up at all? Most of us will NEVER experience temps like yours..

Bill

DrewD

Veteran Member
I do this on occasion when I don't have time to do a proper 2 minute turbo cooldown. I use my valet key to manually lock door with my regular key in the ignition with vehicle running.

Taz107

TDI
06 Jetta
DrewD said:
I do this on occasion when I don't have time to do a proper 2 minute turbo cooldown. I use my valet key to manually lock door with my regular key in the ignition with vehicle running.
thanks, i will give that a try. When you say lock the door, you mean put the key in the door and turn, like the "old days" before everyone got key fobs???:D

My GM truck is nice cause i can start it with the normal key, and use the key fob to lock the door while it runs...

Heater Work? nope...have the front rad completly blocked and after 20 mins on the highway, lucky to get the temp gauge up at all, thank god for heated seats, or the car would have been sold months ago....

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
A few minutes idle under those conditions is not a problem. Hope you have a garage and a block heater up there. If your garage is well built, small, I used a 8k btu Kerosun. It would run 34 hrs on 2.5 gals and I would start it just before midnight. At 6 am the garage was tolerable and one tank lasted all week. Great for warming tools and hands when working under those conditions. Kerosuns are very safe. Its cheaper than a block heater all night and you can set that by timer for 4 am. I also saw a battery heater at JC Whitney that can come on with the block heater, and OH you need the 0W oil. By the by the new 507 5W30 is actually better than than the 506.01 0W30 by 9 F.

You could use the Valet key in the ignition and the remote to unlock as you approach the car.

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
The second post from our freezing neighbors that reports temps at or below -40C (-40C = -40F).
I was curious about the freeze protection of our G12 antifreeze, so I googled around and found that a 50/50 mix of G12 is good to -29.5F.

Anyone else have any other sources, or numbers to share?

RickD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JETTA TDI
wjdell said:
A few minutes idle under those conditions is not a problem. Hope you have a garage and a block heater up there. If your garage is well built, small, I used a 8k btu Kerosun. It would run 34 hrs on 2.5 gals and I would start it just before midnight. At 6 am the garage was tolerable and one tank lasted all week. Great for warming tools and hands when working under those conditions. Kerosuns are very safe. Its cheaper than a block heater all night and you can set that by timer for 4 am. I also saw a battery heater at JC Whitney that can come on with the block heater, and OH you need the 0W oil. By the by the new 507 5W30 is actually better than than the 506.01 0W30 by 9 F.

You could use the Valet key in the ignition and the remote to unlock as you approach the car.

Oddly,my remote won't work with a key in the ignition,motor running or not.

When I leave my car running,I lock it manually with the "second" key.

Taz107

TDI
06 Jetta
RickD said:
Oddly,my remote won't work with a key in the ignition,motor running or not.

When I leave my car running,I lock it manually with the "second" key.
Thanks, remotes seem to go "dead" when car is running...that is one of the first things I tried...

Gaggu P

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat B5.5 BHW
yup..remote goes dead when theres another key in the ignition...start her up with one key and use the other key to manually (turn) the lock to the locked position...

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
Thats why I and others will tell you 70% coolant -30% deinonized water. But its not advisable to go higher as water activates coolant - read at Zerox site very good. Although the manual says 60% max the bottle says 70%.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
I came across a Starbucks that had bought out and moved into a bank. They had turned the teller window into a drivethrough.

Nice.:)

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
wjdell said:
Thats why I and others will tell you 70% coolant -30% deinonized water. But its not advisable to go higher as water activates coolant - read at Zerox site very good. Although the manual says 60% max the bottle says 70%.
With an Address in FLA, you probably mix the stuff in 1% increments.

;)

Thanks for the info, I hope others can use it.
(50/50 is good for Michigan)

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
You can also lock the car by pressing the lock button on the passenger door and closing it after you do so. But again, you'll need a key to unlock the car.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
On my A4, you can lock the car with another key while it's running using the slot on the outside of the drivers door.

-Jason

bulabula

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 Jetta; A4 Golf 2-door; Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel
Taz107 said:
Also, I have found the only way to increase the idle is to turn on all the electrical accessories, defrost, mirrors, seats, and fan. This only increases idle by 100 or 200 RPM. Is there another way?
I've never tried it with the Jetta, but with my Cummins, I use a stick between the pedal and the seat to raise the idle. Guys with power seats have used the seat switch to vary the rpm....

Last edited:

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
i would suggest brewing your own coffee at home. it's a heck of a lot cheaper, and generally better quality! it only takes a few minutes and then you don't have to stop or get ripped off at the coffee shop

Taz107

TDI
06 Jetta
bulabula said:
I've never tried it with the Jetta, but with my Cummins, I use a stick between the pedal and the seat to raise the idle. Guys with power seats have used the seat switch to vary the rpm....
Forgot about that trick, used to do it with a car I had with no choke to keep it running...thanks...snowbrush is normally about the right length...

burpod said:
i would suggest brewing your own coffee at home. it's a heck of a lot cheaper, and generally better quality! it only takes a few minutes and then you don't have to stop or get ripped off at the coffee shop
Next time you're up our way, have a stop at Tim Horton's...you'll see why homemade coffee can't compare....and at a loonie and a half ($1.50 for our southern friends) it's cheap...:D

Taz107

TDI
06 Jetta
JJTDI said:
At -44, is your coffee frozen by the time you make it back to your car???
Thankfully no, but we can start to drink it right away...no cool-off time required...:D

Maven

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI, Black/Black, PKG2
Taz107 said:
No "shouldn't leave your car idleing blah blah blah" please...it was -44 this week, can't see it being good to shut off the car after running for only 2 minutes....to start again 2 minutes later...:confused:
You mean everyone doesn't shut off their cars at traffic lights for the 2 minute wait? That must be their brains that go on standby then, since they can't tell when the light changes to green. :p

TDI73

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Only -20C this morning .... I was able to lock the doors with the second remote, while first was used to start the car.... In case I was dreaming, will try again tomorrow morning....... I did a few changes with VAG-COM: soundless locking/unlocking enabled, unlock all 4 doors with one click...

TDI 4 RD

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI Pkg 1
I have to ask -- who in their right mind would be out stealing cars in -44 temperatures? Wouldn't anyone who was outside, already have a car? :D

dieseldave2006

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 Jetta DSG, 06, sliver
You should never do this because if your car gets stolen, well, you left it running with the key in. Insurance will not pay for that. So you would have to be driving with 2 "secured" keys, one in the ig and one to lock the doors. IMO, just shut off the eng and get your coffee.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Thief would just break the glass and still drive off.

dieseldave2006

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 Jetta DSG, 06, sliver
Bob_Fout said:
Thief would just break the glass and still drive off.
He was talking about leaving the engine running. Breaking glass is simple for theives, yes... well. uhh Keeping a key in the car to keep the engine running as a honest person invites thieves to take the car by breaking windows. They will have the key and will not have to hot wire it!

dieseldave2006

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 Jetta DSG, 06, sliver
Leaving a car running with the key in the ignition and the doors closed is NO payback by insurance companies if it gets stolen. I mean You would have left everything there for them to ONLY break glass to operate the car..

Last edited: