2013 Volkswagen Beetle TDI: This toy is diesel-powered

dieselyeti

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE (DSG)
What amazes me about the Beetle, is that it's now available as a convertible *with* a diesel. Never thought I'd see that in the US.

joeelmex

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Premium
Yeah I almost bought one, but decided to go with the Jetta instead. If I ever traveled with my 2 girls and they had to ride on the back seat, there is not much room there.

Maybe once they go to college, that will be my next car ;) .

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
I'd love to test drive the new Beetle TDI. They seem to be in short supply at the dealership (only on the showroom floor). Never any mention of them here by members who own one, if anyone does.

Last edited:

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon GL TDI 5-Speed Baltic Green
I used to dream about putting an AHU into a Cabrio. This seems about as close as I'll ever get, but haven't gotten to test drive one yet. I'm surprised they brought this over too though. Would love to rent one for a drive up the coast.

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
The writer says that the Beetle beats the Golf, among others. Highly subjective! However, for me the Golf beats the Beetle with the same drivetrain, because the 4 door version of the Golf permits a much more sane use of the back seat. Yes, I know that in the Fifties and Sixties we all crammed ourselves plus our friends or our children into the original Beetle without a second thought. Folding the seats forward to load the back seat was a normal inconvenience. Eight years ago, I sold my 1999 New Beetle TDI only because I had sufficiently enjoyed the reincarnated Beetle and was already fed up with 2-door access to the rear seats.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
My daughter would love a two door Golf and that's my constant arguement towards the four door. With the two door, your always fighting things in and out of the back seats. With four doors, it's much easier and the car is the same size. I owned my beetle for ten years, through car seats and teenagers. I knew when my daughter was mad at her friends because she made them ride in the back. Some of her friends were twice her size. I would love a convertible now but with helping pay of college loans and starting the second one in the fall, I'll just have to live with the JSW for a few more years.

Zapkat

TDI
2014 Jetta Highline
I've got the new Beetle TDI! Picked it up on Groundhog Day in a raging storm. You're right though, there aren't too many around. When we talked to the dealership mid January, he said there were only 7 on the ground in all of Canada. We were lucky enough to get one, and I have to say I LOVE this car! I had a '73 Super Beetle Sport in the 80's and was really looking forward to having another.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
The writer says that the Beetle beats the Golf, among others. Highly subjective!
The Golf was/is the World Car of the Year.

I just got the latest Consumer Reports, and they were kind of *meh* about the Beetle....a little cost-cut and not as high-quality as expected.

The Golf really is the better car. But the Beetle is the right choice if you really want that Beetle character.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
My daughter would love a two door Golf and that's my constant arguement towards the four door. With the two door, your always fighting things in and out of the back seats. With four doors, it's much easier and the car is the same size.
I've been half-considering a Golf, and have been debating 2-door vs. 4-door.

I don't like the way wind is directed into my ear in my JSW. It hits the chunky B-pillar (the side structures were beefed up considerably compared to my old 2000 Golf) and directs the wind right into my ear. So I was leaning toward the 2-door because the B-pillar is farther back.

However, there's a downside. Get in a Beetle or a 2-door Golf, and reach for your seatbelt. It's way back there, because the B-pillar is 6 inches farther back. Yeah, there's that seat-side loop thing, but it doesn't work quite as well. With my JSW or a 4-door Golf, the seatbelt buckle is right there on the B-pillar next to your shoulder.

In a side impact, I'm not sure which is better. Both have side curtain airbags. But behind that is either glass (2-door) or sheet metal (4-door.)

I think the 2-door Golf should technically be quieter, because it has only 2 doors and 2 sets of window seals. The lack of doors and the fixed windows make for less places for wind noise to come in.

On the other hand, 2-doors have a higher liklihood of sagging. That was the case on early Mk6 2-door Golfs.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
However, there's a downside. Get in a Beetle or a 2-door Golf, and reach for your seatbelt. It's way back there, because the B-pillar is 6 inches farther back. Yeah, there's that seat-side loop thing, but it doesn't work quite as well. With my JSW or a 4-door Golf, the seatbelt buckle is right there on the B-pillar next to your shoulder.
We figured this issue out - reach DOWN for the belt, not up, you'll find the belt much easier to get.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I think the 2-door Golf should technically be quieter, because it has only 2 doors and 2 sets of window seals. The lack of doors and the fixed windows make for less places for wind noise to come in.

On the other hand, 2-doors have a higher liklihood of sagging. That was the case on early Mk6 2-door Golfs.
One of the biggest complaints I got from the kids in the back of my 2000 Beetle was not enough airflow. If they could have put the windows down, that would have cured it. Another reason I like the four door better. Of course on the convertible, I guess the back windows do go down.

In 140K miles on the beetle, I never had an issue with door sagging.

BlueBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2000, Bright Blue & Yellow, Things & Wings rolling advertisement
Maybe it's just me but I test drove a used 2012 JSW with the thought of passing my 2000 NB to my wife. The problem is that I do not fit in a JSW! Being 6'1" and having long legs, my knee was smashed into the Y of the center console. have not drove a redesigned Beetle yet, no local dealers, but I still can sit in my current NB and spread out like I'm in my favorite easy chair. Bummer! Hope that the Golf 7 Estate comes to the states and has more leg room.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Maybe it's just me but I test drove a used 2012 JSW with the thought of passing my 2000 NB to my wife. The problem is that I do not fit in a JSW! Being 6'1" and having long legs, my knee was smashed into the Y of the center console. have not drove a redesigned Beetle yet, no local dealers, but I still can sit in my current NB and spread out like I'm in my favorite easy chair. Bummer! Hope that the Golf 7 Estate comes to the states and has more leg room.
I design auto interiors for a living, so I notice stuff like this more than most folks.

I think there has been a design change that was driven by side impact standards. In my Mk4 Golf, my left knee would rest against the door trim, but my right knee was plenty far away from the center console.

In my Mk5/6 JSW, I'm no where near touching the door, and my leg is constantly rested up against the center console.

I believe VW shifted the driver's position 'inboard', to keep the occupant farther away from the door and improve side-impact ratings. Putting more of a buffer between you and sheet metal....and the other car's bumper that is trying to shove into it. To have a 5-star crash rating is a big thing for the automakers.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Surprised you don't fit well in the JSW. I'm also 6'1" and don't have any issues with legroom.

vdubdezl

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI 5MT, 05 Honda Odyssey EX-L
I design auto interiors for a living, so I notice stuff like this more than most folks.

I think there has been a design change that was driven by side impact standards. In my Mk4 Golf, my left knee would rest against the door trim, but my right knee was plenty far away from the center console.

In my Mk5/6 JSW, I'm no where near touching the door, and my leg is constantly rested up against the center console.

I believe VW shifted the driver's position 'inboard', to keep the occupant farther away from the door and improve side-impact ratings. Putting more of a buffer between you and sheet metal....and the other car's bumper that is trying to shove into it. To have a 5-star crash rating is a big thing for the automakers.

I have noticed this too. It's easy for me to tell this after I get out of my mk4 Golf and into the 11 JSW right when I get home. I have a 2-dr golf and one thing that thoroughly surprised me with it is the seat lifts and flips forward to get in the rear. It pretty much makes a big opening to get into the rear of the car that most 2-dr cars do not have. I really love the new beetle, especially the Turbo because of the spoiler and such. I saw one at Lindsey VW in Sterling,VA when we bought our wagen there in june 2011. :eek: It was one of the first ones in the country as they are the closest dealer to VW headquarters in the US.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
We just picked up our Beetle 6M last Saturday. Love it!! The wife is finally in the TDI family.

I work there BTW and I think the GM was griping about having 6 TDI Beetles on the lot. I guess people were scared off by the window motor issues. All of them are DSG so we had to order our manual.

Jason

PS; when are we going to have a Beetle section in the forum?

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Being an old guy I like being able to get in and out with ease. I find the 4 door much easier getting in and out than the two door. While the two door is wider and you might think it would be easier to get in and out, but with the two door that wider door is wasted space.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
My step mom was adamant about how much she hated Beetles.....until she sat in one.

The seats are big and comfy, also sort of flat which makes it easier for her to turn and slide in and out of the car. Huge amount of room for the two people up front. Large door for her to get in and out. She has fibromyalgia which limits her mobility and her Beetle is one of the few cars she can get in and out of on her own.

Jason

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
I drove a 69 for about a year (when I was ~15years old), then a 72 hand me down from my Mom. I used to get up speed and skip it like a stone across a shallow forge for fun after school (the bottom was one big plate). I like the legacy of the Beetle, but want more room. So the Passat makes me happy.

About the wind noise/pillar issue in the JSW. I never thought it was noisy, but the Passat is QUIET. It is really a nice cabin (except for the hard "in the way" armrest-what's that all about?)

But did you notice that the author mentioned the Jetta and Golf having the same TDI engine option, but overlooked the Passat, made in America Passat? That is a weird omission. Maybe he considers the urea injected TDI to be a different engine:rolleyes: Me too, more torque sooner, slightly better fuel economy... yes. a different engine:)

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
If you've been a fan of NPR, you may remember the name Daniel Pinkwater. He once lavished praise on the New Beetle as being a great great car for 'large' guys like himself -- easy to get in and out of.

http://www.cartalk.com/content/daniel-pinkwater-fat-city
And then, one of those new Volkswagen Beetles appeared. I barely took any notice...until, the door swung open, and there emerged...a giant! A fat giant! He seemed to get out without stress or strain...with dignity even!

Phil Infiorati

TDI
2013 TDI Beetle Conv
I just picked up my 2013 Beetle Conv TDI on Feb 15th, 800 miles on odometer today, love it!! Great in the snow and tight. Last VW1963 Beetle where I grew up in northern Maine, had a gas heater, what a car. My kids are all grown up now and I wanted another one and made the move, glad I did. Averaging 41MPG around town.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
Yes, the New Beetle was perfect for us chubby guys.

I haven't tried the 2012 version though.

The only complaint I have for the New Beetle, and I hope has been solved in the new version is that the steering column didn't go further up. I always had a tough time getting in and out due to the steering column.

bigsexyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 NB, '04 Jetta
I concur with the circumferly challenged part. I am a big guy and my 98 New Beetle is hands down the best commuter car I could have ever hoped for. SO MUCH ROOM!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
When we first looked at the new beetle, I thought the leg room was one of the best I'd ever seen. I'm 6'1" and if I put the seat back all the way, I couldn't reach the pedals. Once we picked up our five speed, I realized that I lost a lot of leg room to how far the clutch pedal travelled. It was still comfortable, but not as good as I originally thought. I notice the same thing with my B5.5 Passat but am used to it.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
I LOVE my 2000 NB - The front seat is heaven for me (lots of space (especially for "tall in the body" me), seats are comfortable enough for both of us to do a 20 hour stint in them (Raleigh to Kansas City stopping only for food, fuel and bathroom). It's even better since we got the 5 speed manual put in at 252,000 miles - so much better suited for the engines torque curve. I'm really looking forward to driving to Kansas this summer to see the family in the Beetle (BTw - I'm at 290,000 miles now - or will be well over by that time in August).

The back seat is my worst nightmare - I do not fit - I'm too tall (I'm about 6 feet tall, but I wear 30 inch inseam trousers - hence - long body).

I don't have an issue with getting things in and out of the back seat, nor in folding the seat down when we are loading up for a road trip.

Changing from the 4 speed autotragic to the 5 speed manual jumped my MPG from 38 to 44-46 MPG.

loufought

TDI
13 Beetle Convertible
When I got my TDI convertible about 6 weeks ago, it was (according to the dealer) the only one in Texas. It is a delight to drive, compared to the 01 New Beetle sedan it replaced. The high torque engine working through the 6 speed automatic trans. gives very satisfying acceleration. I traded the standard wheels for the Heritage wheels to look more like the original beetles. Those black rimmed wheels on the white car with black interior and roof are striking, bringing plenty of favorable comments from folks who see it. I am amazed with the tightness and quiet of the whole body, especially the convertible top.