looking for best bank for buck VW diesel

rsperson

TDI
2002 Jetta
I have a 2002 Jetta/MK4 TDI with over 360k miles. I would like to start looking for a slightly more modern Jetta Diesel to mod - not 1/4 mile but more very good handling and performance - but streetable. A good candidate for simple mods and not cost too much to start. ie: do I want a MK5 or MK6 or what. lots of mods don't fit my MK4 but cost is an issue so a very new car is out of the question.
thanks all and let the "discussion" begin

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Cost goes up dramatically with anything above a MKIV. Maybe a 2005 or 2006 PD Jetta. Some of the buyback cars can be had quite cheaply as well right now.

rsperson

TDI
2002 Jetta
doing a little more thinking....

I have access to a potentially larger pool of cars. I do occasional driving for a car broker. Most of the things he gets are more of a flipper type car. He also gets things that need just a little more work. Dealer wholesale, auctions etc. The big thing is that cars that need bodywork often get skipped - too much time to profit from a flip. Most cars are decent values, need maybe brakes, tires, alignment and real good detailing. Anyway - cars that are a little outside a flippers easy flip radar are what I am looking for. I guess a MK6 with SOME body damage or a really clean MK5 with a little work needed are when I should look for. Thinking MAYBE 150hp mod - definitely NOT over 200hp. Suspension upgrades eventually. Just is there a model that I should be on the lookout for. I really want a Jetta.

I see many mods available for MK5 and newer - not so much for a MK4. Just really need an idea for how new to I need to go.

rsperson

TDI
2002 Jetta
THANKS!!! thats EXACTLY the kind off info that I was looking for. I had friends with Diesel trucks and what was good and bad. Common rail was a good thing for them as well. Sounds like 2009+ for me. Now I can start reading about those cars.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The other ones can do that as well. My 2006 Jetta was tuned to 150 hp +/-. The later cars already start with more HP to start with so getting a little more to 150 isn't hard. My 2015 Beetle came stock with 150 HP IIRC. Maybe all the 2015's, I am not sure. But the later models have much more complicated emissions systems on them that the pre common rail ones do. Of course deleting any of this stuff is illegal and has its own problems to deal with. You need to really read up before you decide what you can and can't do and then decide what you want to do. Read up in the power forum too. Lots of info in there.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
I have a 2002 Jetta/MK4 TDI with over 360k miles. I would like to start looking for a slightly more modern Jetta Diesel to mod - not 1/4 mile but more very good handling and performance - but streetable. A good candidate for simple mods and not cost too much to start. ie: do I want a MK5 or MK6 or what. lots of mods don't fit my MK4 but cost is an issue so a very new car is out of the question.
thanks all and let the "discussion" begin

what kind of performance goals are you trying to achieve? There are some amazing turbos now available and without breaking the bank 300hp should be attainable. It is best to start with a goal in mind in terms of performance.

Twitch

TDI
2003 gls jetta tdi 5 speed
Someone correct me if i am wrong but i believe certain years of the mk6 tdi jetta have irs (independent rear suspension) which will handle better then a torsion beam rear. Then good set of coils sticky tires nt555 g2/ nt05 and upgraded sway bars should make the car handle extremely well for road course then tune and delete im not sure if anyone makes aftermarket injectors for a commonrail tdi

rsperson

TDI
2002 Jetta
Seems like I can get a beat-up 2009-11 Jetta and get a little more crazy. Looks like 300hp is not out of the question. If I find a good enough deal, bigger turbo, injectors, a few pipes, probably a pump, clutch and a major tune. Repairable/salvage and put the money where it counts.

My existing toy will probably need to get parted out unless I can find a decent 2 rotor for it.

Last edited:

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
I hope you have deep pockets because that's what is going to take to mod a CR to those power levels. Also if you live in a emission testing state and just forget about it as the DPF is a major obstacle. Its a shame because the base engine is really nice 16 valve monster but the crap its saddled with just ruins the package. And the HPFP they come with just grenades randomly and takes out the fuel system.

They also seem to produce a LOT less torque for some reason. An ALH with a VNT17 will me making close to 160hp/300ftlbs. I CR will need to make close to 250+HP to reach the same torque.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Also if you live in a emission testing state and just forget about it as the DPF is a major obstacle.
I dunno, ain't bobby singh doing some unheard of things with tunes on DPF equipped cars? I remember a year back he was making waves with a V6 tdi that ran crystal clean

3turboz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL Wolfsberg
Someone correct me if i am wrong but i believe certain years of the mk6 tdi jetta have irs (independent rear suspension) which will handle better then a torsion beam rear. Then good set of coils sticky tires nt555 g2/ nt05 and upgraded sway bars should make the car handle extremely well for road course then tune and delete im not sure if anyone makes aftermarket injectors for a commonrail tdi
2014 got IRS in all Jettas, before that only came on GLI in North America. Pretty sure rear discs came late to the party as well. When I was looking at Jettas I was only looking at 2014-15 for that reason (IRS).

Of course the MK7 GSW guys will tell you that the torsion beam handles just fine. :D

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
All Jetta TDIs from '99.5 have had rear disc brakes.
yup
sucks here in the salt states because they rust up solid real quick
then your handbrake doesn't do much holding until it decides to hold 'that one time' and you dump a tank of fuel into burning up a brake

where drums are pretty troublefree as far as rust is concerned, just gotta ignore the minor labyrinth seal noise you get when people are stupid enough to pull the drums "to check the condition of the linings"

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
If you maintain them they're fine. I clean and lubricate the slide pins annually, and actually haven't had much trouble with parking brake cables. Original calipers after 18 years and 410K miles. Can't complain.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
2014 got IRS in all Jettas, before that only came on GLI in North America. Pretty sure rear discs came late to the party as well. When I was looking at Jettas I was only looking at 2014-15 for that reason (IRS).
Of course the MK7 GSW guys will tell you that the torsion beam handles just fine. :D
Problem is the rear suspension setup is NOT the same. MK7 rear beam is more like a MkIV rear beam and can handle very well. The Mk6 is more like a Dodge Cara... Routan. You can figure out how that handles.

I have to check, but I though some base Mk6 TDIs with the beam also had drum brakes. Could be wrong. Couple years there where VW over did the cost cutting.

Jason

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Last TDI in North America with rear drum brakes was the 1999 MKIII Jetta.

And I wouldn't choose a Jetta based on whether or not it has a rear beam or IRS. I've driven both pretty extensively and these are not sports cars in either form. In 95% of driving you'll not know the difference. I'd lean towards a 2015 more because of the refresh and stronger body for better offset collision protection and lower NVH. But if you found a great example that was a '13 or earlier I'd not hesitate to buy it.

ssullivan

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
For anyone interested, I'd take a look at power to weight ratio, more hp in later cars is basically offset by higher weight IMO. Take a look at the rulebook you want to run, the category you fall into with different cars may change your mind. My mK4 pulls plenty of g on the sticky tires and most of the bolt on suspension improvements. I regret not putting the Seat Cupra R bushings in when I swapped the VR6 beam/stiff sway bar.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
They also seem to produce a LOT less torque for some reason. An ALH with a VNT17 will me making close to 160hp/300ftlbs. I CR will need to make close to 250+HP to reach the same torque.
Nah, the commonrails are just as "torquey" as the older tech. The power delivery is just much smoother and more refined, so it may feel less dramatic.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
TLDR:
If you have time and skill. Old 2000s mk4 or the 2015
If you have no skill but have $. Buy the newest best car you can afford and get a skilled guru tdi mechanic in your area and become friends.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
My personal favorite are CJAA which is EA189 engine family, very easy to work on. I have CVCA, CJAA, one time own ALH (03 wagon 5MT).

My CJAA is deleted and tuned with Cp3 that’s as reliable as the ALH but far more power and more creature comforts. Better aftermarket support such as suspension, and such.

Passats are somewhat limited on the suspension.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
If all the OP is after is 200hp, go for an ALH. A lot less money to modify to that level, and IRS is nice, but tweak the
rear end on a Golf or Wagon and you'll have a blast. Sure the CRs can be tweaked to higher levels, but you'll need
a degree in computer programming to make it work reliably. If you've got deep pockets and some high tech savvy,
go for it. But having had both, simpler is funner in my book, especially if you want something streetable.

I can't remember which British racing driver said when asked what was the most fun he had with a street car,
it was something like an old Anglia or similar wagon. The phrase, "Driving a slow car fast" comes to mind.

It comes down to whether you like being under the hood, or on the road.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Interesting but old thread. O,p, hasn't posted since 3/20. Wonder if he was even serious