Comparison wav files BHW chan gear BS sounds

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
I met up this am with BadgerFan who just had his oil pump chain converted by Oilhammer.

The one of my car has more wind noise than I wanted and I may replace that file soon. Listen to the end and you can hear the chain BS making its noise.

If you have good speakers you should be able to dicern the sounds. I won't keep these files active forever because I don't want to wank out the limits with my hosting service. So save and share.

leicaman

www.lakebreeze.org/tdi/LeicamanBHW.wav
www.lakebreeze.org/tdi/BadgerFanWav.wav

Here's an additional file I did of mine:
www.lakebreeze.org/tdi/LeicamanBHW2.wav

Please note that I am using Castrol Professional OE 5w30 and in BadgerFan he is using Pentosin 5w40 fyi.

Last edited:

maktas

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI
Yes leicaman's sounds exactly like mine, there is a noticable difference.
Question: Is there a sound difference while on the road?

senez

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat DSG
whoa...leica's was loud.

mine doesn't sound anything close to that, but it's a bit louder than badger's

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You don't hear it when you are in the car. That is the kicker. I placed another wav file done with the same recording device. On the second one the car had been shut down for awhile, but was merely backed out of my garage and then recorded. I did no editing so as to keep the documentation as pure as possible.

Last edited:

volkswagendude

Veteran Member
TDI
None for now...
leicaman said:
yes it is.
Listening to that video you recorded back in early 2008, your car's engine sounds nice and crisp. I was thinking that if you still had the same recording device, that you could make a new recording, same distance, same angle as before. This would be make for an excellent before and after for a deteriorating BS on the same car.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
In fact I will do that This week sometime. I have that very same camera still in my collection. Great idea. The one that I made the sound file for was a pro camera that has a sound record function which is most excellent.

BadgerFan

TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive, White
Sound Difference between BS upgraded BHW and oem BS

When oilhammer brought the my 05 Passat into the service bay at his garage on 2/20/09 he asked me if i could hear the chain making the noise which would eventually lead to failure of the oil flow. Since I had no reference point prior to this for how the engine should sound I took his word for it and we proceeded with the upgrade. Afterwards (6.5 hrs later) he fired up the BHW and from my perspective I could tell some difference but not as apparent as it was to oilhammer (since he had done 10+ upgrades he obviosuly could). It was only when Leicaman and I had both cars inches away from each other this morning was the engine sound difference easily noticeable.

badgerfan

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
So one of them sounds like I remember my 98 1.9 tdi, pure diesel. The other sounds like diesel with undiesel-like sounds mixed in, much different.