Mk5 R32 to TDI swap

R-TDIGR

Veteran Member
TDI
GOLF TDI
I’m working on this conversion project and need some help / advice.
So I have 2 complete cars (golf R32 DSG and a golf TDI manual) both mk5.
I want to swap the TDI engine into the R32 Golf, keeping the 4motion and converting to 6sp manual.
DSG to manual 4motion conversion is almost done. No problems there.
Here’s the first problem i am facing and need help with:
Wiring.
The 2 cars obviously have different ecu plugs. The engine wiring is not a problem. (That is from engine to 1st ECU plug).
But the 2nd ECU plug going to the inside of the car needs to be changed. The tdi ecu is EDC16 and the R32 is ME7.1.
So is it best to cut the existing ME7.1 wiring and figure out the correct pinout to go to the tdi EDC16 ECU plug?
I don’t know if it possible to take out this complete wiring from the TDI golf and use it on the R32 golf. It just seems like a lot of wiring.
Any other possible issues i need to look out for?
Has anyone done this before?
:confused:

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
The mk5 r32 engine chassis wiring is challenging to remove. Unplug everything from the relay panel. The. You will either need to take an extreme amount of time to unwrap the harness going to the use panel or you will need to cut it. When pulling them for swaps I cut them inside the car above the area that goes to the relay panel.

R-TDIGR

Veteran Member
TDI
GOLF TDI
Yes true. That’s why i want to know if it is possible to partially use the R32 wiring. Maybe rewire the essential engine wiring from the ECU to the chassis/fuse panel.

Does someone over here have the ECU pinout for either of these?
Mk5 R32 ME7.1.1 and mk5 TDI EDC16 ?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
No idea, probably easier to ask for a mk5 r32 pinout in a mk2 forum and the TDI pinout here. You will have to write to book and learn to read schematics and get good with playing with pins and what not.

Maybe install a bulkhead cannon plug at the firewall to avoid diving into the fuse box area. Cut the r32 harness in the bay and the TDI harness in the cabin to give yourself some extra harness to play with.

Or just take the mk5 TDI and install Haldex. I thought they used the same rear pans.

Last edited:

R-TDIGR

Veteran Member
TDI
GOLF TDI
I thought about installing the haldex on the TDI golf, but the R32 is a nicer car with lots of extras. Or i would have to swap everything. Interior, body parts etc.

I hope someone can help with the ECU pinouts.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Best bet is to pay for a 24hr service on https://erwin.vw.com/erwin/showHome.do and get the wiring diagrams using the VIN for both cars. Will cost you $35 but you can get just about everything you need and then some for the swap.

R-TDIGR

Veteran Member
TDI
GOLF TDI
Thanks for that info.

I think i have most of the wiring figured out.

Does anyone know if the R32 in-tank fuel pump can be used on the tdi engine?
Is there such a thing as too much fuel pressure?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Use a Holley by-pass fuel pressure regulator to knock the pressure down to 6psi or so. It’s meant for fuel injected cars that are now running a carburetor. I ran one on my TDI SLC corrado. You will just have to reroute the fuel back to the tank. I used the vacuum pressure port on the top of the fuel tank neck to dump excess fuel back into the tank.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I ran a t or an H fitting on my 2nd tdi swap (g60) corrado, it quickly killed the fuel pump, I guess fuel pumps like having pressure.

I removed the fuel pump and went with a siphon setup from a mk3 take since I was using an AHU engine.

The first TDI corrado inbuilt was an ALH into a VR6 corrado and the tank was deeper than the g60 so I didn’t use the mk3 sending unit.