Front Upper Strut Top Mount

flash9

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon GLS 5-Speed, 2003, White
A few years ago I installed Bilstein HD Shocks on my 2003 Jetta Wagon, and I double checked everything when putting them back together. I did notice that the front upper strut top "metal cap" did not sit down flush bit it did not appear to impact the driving so I really did not think much about it.

This week, I had my local Firestone dealership rotate and balance my tires and they said this was causing my upper strut to move around.

Here is what it looks like (on both sides).

Here is what it looks like with the "metal cap" removed.

Here is my setup for getting the nut tightened down to secure the "metal cap" down as far as it can go.

Is there any problem with the "metal cap" not going flush with the frame of the car?

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Funny, I had Firestone do my alignment recently, my strut towers look the same as yours, and they didn't say squat. Does your upper strut actually move around a bunch?

flash9

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon GLS 5-Speed, 2003, White
Funny, I had Firestone do my alignment recently, my strut towers look the same as yours, and they didn't say squat. Does your upper strut actually move around a bunch?

Not that I can tell.

Everything about this setup (Bilstien HD Shocks, MetalMan Installation Kit with OEM Springs) is such an improvement.

I did notice this weekend that my OEM Lower Control Arm Rear Bushings were pretty shot (190k), so I purchased both sides of these lower control arms from idparts. For less than $83 for the arms, TT rear bushing, front bushing, outer ball joint and hardware it was a not brainer. I'll keep my old arms and if these fail I can just buy the parts and install them, but these will just be a remove and replace. I am also replacing the front sway bar bushings as they also have 190k miles.

Last edited:

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
The gap is completely 100% normal.

Not uncommon to wonder... lots of threads here like yours here over the years..but that's the normal look of that specific design. With the car on the road all is well.

Last edited:

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
Those strut bushings look shot. In the one picture it's cracked almost all the way around where the bearing is underneath. I'd replace the strut bushing and bearing underneath.

Eric

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Key words in the post is "a few years ago." Strut mounts on these cars don't last very long. After 3-4 years, depending on how and where you drive, you should replace them. You can get new ones in place without removing the strut.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Completely normal, it’s the way these cars were designed.