2006 Jetta TDI Turbo Problems. Possible Boost leak?

TDI817

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2018 Golf-R
Hey guys,
I just recently starting having this problem where it sounds like boost pressure may be leaking. I have a 2006 Jetta TDI with 121,000 km. Its had a stage 1 Mikro tune since 109,000. At 1800 rpm when I step on the accelerator the turbo spools up very quickly and almost sounds like a blow off valve. Like boost pressure is leaking out. and it stops at 2,000 rpm and then the car takes off as normal. Under normal driving it will not make this sound, Only when I request full power. I’m also getting horrible fuel economy. 500-600km per tank. It was bad before but its just becoming really bad. I know the winter diesel sucks but this is becoming a big concern. There is no extra smoke at full throttle and there isn’t any less. There seems to be a slight loss of power going on for the past few months, Very gradual loss of power. In the rain the tires could break lose in any gear at full throttle. Now I can barley get any wheel spin in 2nd gear. Any help is appreciated, Thanks

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
It is possible that you have more than one issue.
The turbo vanes are closed too much at full boost position creating back pressure in the exhaust manifold.
Here is a couple of youtube fliks by Jeff Robertson of Rocketchip to describe the condition

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=3469686&postcount=62

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=3469692&postcount=63

There is also the possibility that the EGR cooler is developing a leak at the flap valve bearing on the back of the engine. Thus the hissing. You can check for soot tracks where the lever pivots.

And lastly, there may be camshaft/lifter wear going on under the valve cover. This one is almost a given to some degree.
BRM cam failure - http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=225918

TDI817

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2018 Golf-R
Problem found

I took my car into sun west VW in Courtney BC and they discovered the problem is a vacuum line has come disconnected as well as my EGR valve is not functioning properly. They said something about a control arm? Im not sure what that means. I know the EGR is exhaust gas recirculation and have a very basic understanding of how it works. They have said it will be about $840 to fix it. That seems extremely expensive. I'd found a EGR valve online for $250. Does anyone have an suggestions?
Thanks
-Bret

MakDad

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta.
I took my car into sun west VW in Courtney BC and they discovered the problem is a vacuum line has come disconnected as well as my EGR valve is not functioning properly. They said something about a control arm? Im not sure what that means. I know the EGR is exhaust gas recirculation and have a very basic understanding of how it works. They have said it will be about $840 to fix it. That seems extremely expensive. I'd found a EGR valve online for $250. Does anyone have an suggestions?
Thanks
-Bret
You can change the EGR and the ASV (anti shudder valve) yourself in under 2 hrs total. Save your $$$. EGR $200USD, ASV $130USD... I did it about a month ago. Nothing to it. You didn't say if re-connecting the vacuum hose fixed the boost leak problem or not..................

06jettatdi89

TDI
2006 Jetta tdi
2006 Jetta tdi

Ok well here's how it started. I drove the car this morning and all was normal i parked it for about 3hrs and forgot the lights on so battery was dead. I jump started it + on + - on - started up and idled like **** so I noticed the exhaust came apart right in the middle of the car underneath so I put it back together thinking it was idling rough due to no back pressure. I started it back up and gave it some fuel and still didn't run right so I ran it down the road about 2 miles and came back. I was thinking fuel filter but then I drove it home and it drove better and smoother but I never felt the turbo spool up.
Need to get back on the road any advice is helpful

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
You're going to have to do the rundown and see what's not working. Start with the easy stuff (vac lines, n75 swap) and see where it takes you.

I recommend you start your own thread though.