TDI BEW into 88 4runner

lexi.kiselev

TDI
88 4runner tdi
A bit of an update.
I haven't had much time to work on it but i did get some stuff done.

I got most of the suspension done, just have to hook up the brake lines and finish putting the steering links together. ill post some pics later

I decided to redo my engine bay since i half ass'd everything because i was too excited to get it running. The goal is to make it look nice and pretty.

Modified the intake manifold.
Untitled by lex kiselev, on Flickr

Decided to put a new intercooler in the front.

Im going to place the battery back into its original spot on the passenger side. Im also installing the stock tdi air filter box, hoping that will quiet down some of the engine noise. I bought an original power steering reservoir and extended it. Also removes the tdi expansion tank and going to install the original Toyota one.

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jsw TDI, audi 90 AHU swap
I hate be be a bummer, but I have that exact intercooler on my audi 90 with and AHU swap. The packaging is perfect for a longitudinal TDI, but it doesnt work very well. It heat soaks very quickly and intake temps get pretty hot.

A friend also had one on an audi 4000 with a 20vt swap and a big turbo, and experienced the same thing, very fast heat soak.

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
I think its a combination of a less-than-ideal design combined with a cheapo core. I've seen where people have fabricated an intercooler like this with a good quality core, and they work decently well.

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
Bummer, i guess ill just run it for now until i can get something decent.
Thank you for the heads up vtpsd
Obviously, it will work fine, but take a look at your intake temps after a few seconds on boost and see if they start to climb.

I was so damn limited on front end space, and I basically built a cross member around this intercooler and radiator setup, so I havent changed it. I would if I could though.

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
The intercooler is the first, then the radiator is behind it, and the radiator has puller fans. The intercooler has great airflow on my car.

lexi.kiselev

TDI
88 4runner tdi
Little Update:

I ended up getting a new intercooler, its a spearco clone. I looked inside of it and i could see that the fins were staggered unlike the previous one.
The reason for getting the new one was because i found that it was leaking from two spots.

I got the runner under its own weight and its semi drive-able.
I took it for a spin and got really bad death wobble. It looks like either its a bad wheel bearing or trunnion bearing, because I wiggle the tire up and down while the axle is on jacks stands:eek:
I should have rebuilt the dam thing in the first place...

I still have the boost spike and surges.I also get black smoke if i step on it on idle.
I decided to put the old 2.5bar map on and the smoke went away and so did the surge, however the actual boost is still way above requested in my log
When I run my scangauge and look at boost, it only reads up to 22.5psi
Could it be that my tune still has a 2.5bar linearization?

OH and heres a pic ;)

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Looking good!

The tune update 3/16/17 was for a 3 bar, you have a fairly normal stage 4 tune. Since you have the 2.5 bar in the scangauge can only read as much as it puts out. Might be worth sending along some logs and picking up a flashzilla, happy to help there.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Nope, you've already bought one.

It's pretty straight forward
• download software from www.malonetuning.com/fz
• plug in the device and hit link
• select your vehicle from the listing
• plug into your vehicle and read off an ECU file
• plug into your PC, load the program and hit "read ori"
• email us that ECU read, and we'll reply with a tune
• press "upload mod" to upload the file
• plug the device back into your vehicle and go through the tuning menu to install it

Feel free to shoot me an email if you have any other questions.

lexi.kiselev

TDI
88 4runner tdi
Long overdue update...

Ive been getting some crazy death wobble with the stock fj80 radius arms.
I was going to do a 3 link eventually in the future but didn't want to throw down alot of $$ at the moment.
ive decided to do the three link and be done with it.

I purchased a 3 link kit from Ruffstuff and bought some used 12" fox coilovers from craigslist and it all went from there.

fast forwad to now, ive been dialing in the 3 link and finally got it to where i can drive it on the freeway. Now i can do some logging so Malone can adjust my tune.

Im still in the process of figuring out the overboost. I have installed a boost valve and i am still getting overboost :mad:
My guess is that it has something to do with the turbo/actuator?