Panzer Plate vs ECS Tuning Aluminum Street Shield Skid Plate

ojorek

TDI
2001 VW Beetle TDI x2, 2005 VW Golf TDI
I recently picked up a TDI Bug and its exposed. The Panzer seems most popular but costs about $60 more after shipping than the ECS. They both are close in thickness so I am asking for opinions on which way to go and if there is another option I am not aware of.

djrhetoric

Veteran Member
TDI
80 Rabbit pickup MTDI
I couldn't find the skid plate by ECS that you mentioned. I see they have it for the 11-current Beetle, but not the 2001.

I've had a Panzer with side skirts for 5 years and it's been perfect in every way. I live in MN so I hit massive ice/snow chunks nearly every day in the winter, plus I've hit semi-truck retreads on the interstate at 70 MPH and it's not shown a sign of wear. It's a great investment for any MKIV.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
I recently picked up a TDI Bug and its exposed. The Panzer seems most popular but costs about $60 more after shipping than the ECS. They both are close in thickness so I am asking for opinions on which way to go and if there is another option I am not aware of.
Does the ECS model offer the optional metal side skirts too? If not, that would be a deal breaker for me right there. In the end I think you will get people who own one or the other and will say xxxxxxxx is better but I highly doubt you find someone who has bought both and evaluated each on for its pros and cons.

All that goes to say, something is better than nothing down there. Good luck with your decision!!

I own a DieselGeek panzer plate with metal side skirts, no complaints...

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I would be interested to see what anyone might know about the ECS unit also. I've been very happy (and often grateful) for my Panzer Plate on the 2001 but need another for the '03. I either need to buy another plate kit or a new set of Panzer mounting brackets and install the old plate on the "new" '03 Jetta. Metal side skirts "jacket" I don't care about, so the ECS version is an option if they actually offer it for the MklV Jetta.
I won't drive in the winter w/o one up here.

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
Are there parts availabe for the ecs model? If not diesel geek does. Diesel geek also a smaller business and more likely to get better customer service.

ojorek

TDI
I couldn't find the skid plate by ECS that you mentioned. I see they have it for the 11-current Beetle, but not the 2001.

I've had a Panzer with side skirts for 5 years and it's been perfect in every way. I live in MN so I hit massive ice/snow chunks nearly every day in the winter, plus I've hit semi-truck retreads on the interstate at 70 MPH and it's not shown a sign of wear. It's a great investment for any MKIV.
Ahh, I see what you are saying, I selected the wrong Beetle dropdown. Guess that makes it an easy decision then. Thanks for your help!

thumpper

TDI
Not to hijack the thread but what benefit does the side skirts do? (allow retention of heat better?) Going to be purchasing one for a 05 Beetle I picked up and was going to just go with the 'normal' skid without the sides. Thanks

**yes this is my 2nd post new to the TDI world so just learning**

Geomorph

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf and 2002 NB
Not to hijack the thread but what benefit does the side skirts do? (allow retention of heat better?) Going to be purchasing one for a 05 Beetle I picked up and was going to just go with the 'normal' skid without the sides. Thanks

**yes this is my 2nd post new to the TDI world so just learning**
The side skirts are on there to keep stuff from getting into your engine compartment. Original plastic ones on the sides has worked fine for me. You especially want one on the passenger side otherwise your serpentine belt would be exposed. Metal sides are for those who need or want them.

Evolution Imports also makes an aluminum skid plate. That is the one I have had on my cars for 10+ years. I am sure the Dieselgeek skid plate is also excellent.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Besides being for newer tdi's, the ecs streetshield is more a heavy duty splash pan than skid plate. It doesn't have hard point mounting brackets in the front like the Panzer/ Atlas plates. It just screws into the plastic bumper junk.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
I recently put the Panzer from DG on my 03 Jetta. It's nice. But I had to take it off because my suspension is original (113k miles), and I guess it's too spongy now to hold it up enough. I did not measure how much clearance I lost because of the weight, but I was scraping on things I didn't scrape on before. I reverted to the original plastic. Also, the handling and "pickup" of the car were definitely affected. My GF said it felt like the parking brake was on. I figure 11 years and I haven't had an "incident" so... But I will for sure keep it and when the time comes for suspension beef-up, I'll slap it back on and give it another try.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I recently put the Panzer from DG on my 03 Jetta. It's nice. But I had to take it off because my suspension is original (113k miles), and I guess it's too spongy now to hold it up enough. I did not measure how much clearance I lost because of the weight, but I was scraping on things I didn't scrape on before. I reverted to the original plastic. Also, the handling and "pickup" of the car were definitely affected. My GF said it felt like the parking brake was on. I figure 11 years and I haven't had an "incident" so... But I will for sure keep it and when the time comes for suspension beef-up, I'll slap it back on and give it another try.
The Panzer Plate weighs 17.25 pounds. Maybe another 10 (?) for the mounts.
If you can tell the difference in performance less than 30 pounds makes there are some things to address. That's less than a half tank of fuel weight.
The Panzer does perhaps lose a bit of ground clearance to the OEM pan, but if any, it's minimal.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
The Panzer Plate weighs 17.25 pounds. Maybe another 10 (?) for the mounts.
If you can tell the difference in performance less than 30 pounds makes there are some things to address. That's less than a half tank of fuel weight.
The Panzer does perhaps lose a bit of ground clearance to the OEM pan, but if any, it's minimal.
This ^^^...

2 weeks ago the panzer did it's job when a large ice/snow chunk came off a semi in the other lane and into my lane. I had no where to go and couldn't hit the brakes hard or else I would have been rear ended. One solid "thunk" and I was fine...

sawmilldon

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Wagon
If your plastic ones were missing or in bad shape you would probably just get metal. Metal also probaby cheaper than oem plastic.
I just replaced mine with plastic ones from Rock Auto.

They are about 18 bucks per side.

I got 2 different brands but they are great thickness, even came with hardware to mount.

jmarvin

TDI
2004 JettaTDI
I've had the Panzer full metal jacket setup for about three years now. Absolutely love it and worth the price. Only complaint I have is that you still have to remove the whole skid plate to change the oil, even if you order the one with the hole cut out to access the oil drain plug. If you leave the skid plate on and try to change the oil by just removing the little cover, you will end up having to remove the skid plate anyway because of all the oil that drains all over it.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
I've had the DG plate on my '03 since shortly after I bought the car new and have lost count of the number of times it has saved the oil pan or worse.

The bottom of it looks like it has been through a war, although some of that is due to my having utter disregard for it when tossing it aside to do work (e.g. scrapes on concrete when removed, etc.)

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
The sound and feel of an ice chunk hitting the panzer and the vibration afterwards is VERY satisfying. It will ring. Wonderful to have the sideskirts to keep engine bay clean. Fumoto drain valve or pela extractor help avoid having to remove skid plate, but 10k intervals aren’t bad for removal either. DG is a helpful and enthusiastic vendor with lots of help keeping tdi going. It’s not always about cost saving

ojorek

TDI
The side skirts are on there to keep stuff from getting into your engine compartment. Original plastic ones on the sides has worked fine for me. You especially want one on the passenger side otherwise your serpentine belt would be exposed. Metal sides are for those who need or want them.
Evolution Imports also makes an aluminum skid plate. That is the one I have had on my cars for 10+ years. I am sure the Dieselgeek skid plate is also excellent.
I'm looking at the Evolution Imports skid plate as well. From the pics, it looks like it covers a larger area than the panzer, do you see that as well? The Evolution is a money saver as well - so with 10+ years I assume you would recommend?

Diesel4Mark

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I've had the Panzer full metal jacket setup for about three years now. Absolutely love it and worth the price. Only complaint I have is that you still have to remove the whole skid plate to change the oil, even if you order the one with the hole cut out to access the oil drain plug. If you leave the skid plate on and try to change the oil by just removing the little cover, you will end up having to remove the skid plate anyway because of all the oil that drains all over it.
jmarvin, Take a flexible plastic container, like what Chinese takeout comes in, and cut it approximately in half. Push it up into the oil drain hole in the Panzer plate, with the former bottom of the container facing up. You can still access the drain plug and this directs the oil perfectly. I don't spill a drop.

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
I put a Evolution skid plate on many years ago. A year ago I hit a large rock on the road which I though was snow from a truck. It dented the plate and pushed it up to contact the oil pan. It took a sledge and many hits to move the dent away from the oil pan.

My Beetle is a bit lower than stock so the skid plate was a must. I don't regret the decision at all. I just kept the plastic side skirts as they help to keep the road muck off the engine.

Skid Plate 1 : Rock 0

mgoff5000

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2004 Passat (RIP)
I've got the Atlas Evolution on my 00 Jetta and the Panzer on my 04 Passat. Not sure if it's available for your model, but I slightly prefer the Atlas model. I find it easier to get on/off and feel the front mount points are better. In either case, watch your torque with the riv-nuts. I've stripped a couple and they can be a pain to get out and replace. On the oil changing, the Atlas access looks pretty big but I haven't actually used it yet. I tend to have the skid plate off often enough that I change the oil while doing something else.

Geomorph

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf and 2002 NB
I'm looking at the Evolution Imports skid plate as well. From the pics, it looks like it covers a larger area than the panzer, do you see that as well? The Evolution is a money saver as well - so with 10+ years I assume you would recommend?
I haven't compared to the Diesel geek plate but I don't think you can go wrong with either. I have been very happy with the Evolution Import plate on my cars and certainly would recommend it.

InfoSec

Veteran Member
Diesel Geek skid plate and skirts have been on for 3 years on my '03. No issues. I bought a Fumoto drain valve and have a short hose that I attach to the 90deg angle nipple on it and I don't have to remove the plate, but I do every other oil change in order to look at all of the nice, pretty (not-so-shiny) upgrades and such to make sure everything is still working and looking as they should.

C.Powell

TDI
MkIV Jetta Station Wagon
We have the (I think) ECS heavy duty aluminium skid plate.
Got it put on shortly after changing to KW suspension which is about an inch lower than stock.
At the time Concept 1 had several Mk4s outside waiting for new oil pans.
It has been worth every penny for piece of mind when hitting gargoyles (those frozen chunks of snow and ice that sometimes hide rocks inside).
Still wince at the bang.

On secondary roads there is often a frozen ridge between the wheel tracks that would tear off the plastic one.

In snow, as long as there is traction (haven't needed the tyre chains yet), sliding along on the belly pan gets us home.

Spouse once hit a rock in a Saturn and pushed the oil pan up bending the pick up tube inside. Didnt crack the oil pan. Engine cut out (& wouldn't restart) a couple of weeks later while waiting to make a left turn on a busy road in rush hour.....

Last edited:

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
This is the only reason my car still runs. Wife went in the ditch and packed the snow in enough to bend the full metal jacket sides. Had to pull off and straighten.

Then my wife hopped a curb. It was resting on the plate. One where it was on a side hill so the curb was the tallest piont. Bent the heck out of the fuel cooler and totaled the car. Some axles, shocks, hubs, and a rim it is still driving.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Strong US $$ - Look at the JSP Armadillo Plate!

Mine has been bullet proof running 6yrs and lots of bush road adventures.

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Can't buy a panzer plate right now. Looking at either an ecs or idparts plate. I'd parts plate is $275 and ecs is $195. Anyone have thoughts on the two?

carsaremytoys

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta TDI 5MT, 05 Passat wagon TDI 5MT
I have the idparts plate. It works well. It's only .050 thousands thick. I remember telling them I would pay double for .100 thousands. I still would if someone made one. I remember before I made my decision reading that the panzer plate sits lower allowing you to hit things you otherwise wouldn't have.