2012 Passat TDI vs 2013 Passat TDI vs 201x Touareg

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 SportWagen TDI DSG (Buyback 2018.01.30)
Hello All.

I bought a certified pre-owned 2011 JSW on the 31st of Dec. I've had two honda accord wagons: the first a 95 which was put down in oct 2009 due to a freak electrical fire. the second is a 97 which I just replaced with the '11 JSW. I (and more so my dog) missed the honda for a day - but we haven't looked back. I love my JSW!

I just dragged in my dad to see about replacing his benz wagon with a Passat TDI sedan or a Touareg TDI.

For the Passat TDI folks out there - is there a big difference in the 2012 & 2013's? I'd like to get a certified pre-owned to save on the depreciation cost. The only major difference I've seen is the back up camera in the 13's which is missing in the '12's.

I'd also love to convince my mom to replace her '99 rx300 with a '13 Touareg TDI. That may be a much harder sell - but wondered what other folks out there have done or thought about being an all TDI family.

JSanta

TDI
2013 Jetta, 2006 Jetta
I'm new myself to the TDI family. My wife and I really needed new vehicles this past fall, and after a lot of research and test driving, the 2013 Jetta TDI was the obvious choice. She is in love with the car, and so am I. I bought a 2010 Honda Insight, and that lasted only a few months as it was awful to drive in anything but perfect weather. I found myself an 06 TDI Jetta.

We drive a lot, and I wanted fun cars that would be great on mpg, and hybrids don't compare, at least in the price range I found them in. Nor was my Insight fun to drive.

What convinced my wife to agree to the TDI was simply driving it. All it took was getting that car up to highway speed, and she was sold. I think that's all that people need to do is drive one to be convinced. I'm sold on TDIs, already know that the next car will be a Touareg TDI, someday.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
Passat: 2013 SEL added rear vents in the revised center console and backup camera that most people say is too slow to help on first startup. 2013 SE added rear vents and revised center console. All 2013 takes away some interior lights and auto climate control on SE models. I think the general consensus is 2013 SEL is better than 2012 and 2012 SE is better than 2013 SE. But that's just on some picky details.

Do not expect huge discounts/depreciation. People are getting up to $3500 off MSPR for new SELs. Trade in/use values of TDIs has been high and continues to be for NMS Passat.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
All 2013 takes away some interior lights and auto climate control on SE models. I think the general consensus is 2013 SEL is better than 2012 and 2012 SE is better than 2013 SE.
I think that depends on what someone wants. If someone WANTS automatic climate control, likes the red interior lights & a manual transmission they will be disappointed. I'm in that group, but I really like having the rear vents.

Its ticky-tack stuff, really. The 2013 is only "better" since it is a model-year newer.

Tom_B

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Touareg, 14 A6
Do lots of research on the Touareg TDIs. We recently purchased a CPO 2009 TDI Touareg and it is an awesome, but complex vehicle. The purchase price of a 2013 Touareg and RX300 could possibly be comparable (don't know much about the RX300 but depending on trim level the TDI would probably cost more). However, it seems to be the consensus that Touaregs are quite expensive to maintain. Reading the experiences of owners and people that work on them, it seems like one has to be prepared to spend about $2000/yr for scheduled maintenance, tires, brakes, etc. VW also has its shortcomings when it comes to service reputation. In my limited non-VW experience, Toyota/Lexus tends to deal with its customers a bit differently (better) than VW.

Not trying to discourage anyone from buying a TDI Treg, but if you do you should make a well informed decision. We love ours but they may not be the best match for the "just get in and drive" buyer. The same statement could be made for any VW purchase price level, but the stakes are higher for the Treg. Good luck!

Last edited: