Would you buy your Diesel wagon again?

Would you buy your VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen again?

• Yes

Votes: 43 87.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 12.2%

• Total voters

Mk4tdi02

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf TDI
Hey all, so I've had my MK4 for some time now and love it! ALH diesel motor has been awesome! The girlfriend needs a car so I wanted to get a 2012 jetta wagon 2liter diesel that i came across. Has the DSG tranny too which is super smooth, I was all set to make the deal and then I got confirmation that the recall hasn't been done on it and my local Diesel mechanic told me to stay away from it if it has 230 000km which i thought was not much as mine has almost 400k. As he mentioned that the Turbo's go on them regularly and the DPF is an expensive fix as well and way more convoluted then the MK4.
So my question to you guys is would you buy your car again if you could? Should i buy this car or just get something else if so what do you recommend for the same gas mileage and same space. Thank you. !

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
I'm all in on the GSW. Fantastic car. Only things that required repair due to failure after buying the car (used, with approx 160k km) was an alternator, EGT sensor, and the P2015 bracket. Regular service included oil/filter changes, brakes and timing belt service. We commute ~250km daily. The cargo room with the wagen is outstanding. Mileage through a snowstorm across the Rockies was 5.3L/100km, Jasper to Vancouver on one tank.

Things that could be better are the headlights, and wind noise at speed. Seats are good not great. HVAC controls aren't the best, looks like they improved them with the mk7.

I'd buy one again.

EDITED: for maintenance vs repair and mileage figure.

Last edited:

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Yes

Mine was taken by reckless MB driver. I had no intention of ever selling it. three pedal SE. The answer is yes.

But I would buy my 1990 Toyota 4WD 22RE extracab again too.

I'd happily walk into my high school for the first time again as well.

Would that I could

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Absolutely! Just got it fixed, feels like a new car.
The emissions fix restitution brought the price of the JSW down to Honda Fit and Hyundai Elantra level retroactively, making the decision to splurge a bit an even better one.

Last edited:

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
I would absolutely buy it again "IF" the time would be switched back to 2009/2010.

However, if I knew last year that must look for a replacement car this year, I would have planned ahead and go for a slightly used 2015 year TDI + DSG (Jetta, Golf, Passat, whatever they are all fine for me), or simply jump ship to an EV (eGolf, Nissan Leaf type).

For daily drive, I don't think I'd ever buy another car with a pure gasoline ICE. If I must buy another ICE, I'd just stick with diesel.

andykurz

TDI
shopping
Absolutely, I paid $7k and am selling back to VW for $14k after adding 50k trouble-free miles. Plus the goodwill. It was the best investment I ever made. Very difficult to complain.

I am replacing with a Saab 9-5 wagon w/ three pedals that I found which is a great car. Won't get the MPGs but I already did well economically.

vincej

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon
My biggest complaint is the heating system. When it gets down to -25C the windshield is always fogging up. I guess it is the nature of the diesel beast. Otherwise am quite happy with it. Engine light bothers me too.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta (gone), 2002 Passat (gone), 2009 JSW (VW bought), 2010 JSW
Yes! I don't think that you can buy anything that compares for the same money. We're a small family and living in Germany for four years got us hooked on wagons; a necessity for a family hauler. But also nice for many other things as well. Sure, some other cars may get similar fuel mileage, but I'd like to see them jump out to pass someone in a strong headwind. The diesel grunt is just so addictive!

The seats are also my biggest complaint. Just don't fit me too well. Feel like they make my back slump as only my shoulders touch. Even with full lumbar.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I had a '12 Golf (not a Sportwagen) and never warmed up to it. Too wide, visibility wasn't great, NVH on my '02 Wagon was better than the '12, didn't ride great on the stock 17s. I got decent FE but didn't drive it on a lot of short trips. Folks I know with DSGs that drive in traffic would see low 30s pretty regularly.

I now have a MKVII GSW and I like it a lot better. But I still enjoy driving my MKIV cars. As a friend said to me yesterday, "they just fit."

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
My biggest complaint is the heating system. When it gets down to -25C the windshield is always fogging up. I guess it is the nature of the diesel beast. Otherwise am quite happy with it. Engine light bothers me too.
Try using your A/C when you initially defrost the windows, as it pulls out the moisture from the air and reduces subsequent fogging.

C3156

Veteran Member
TDI
All sold
I loved the torque of the diesel but can't say I was that fond of the wagon. It went to a small family that could use it better than me and I still got 150k miles out of it.

Between the clutch going early, sunroof drains leaking, intake valve, DPF problems, etc, I can't say I was happy with the reliability. After the HPFP exploded on my '09, it was only a matter of time before the '10 had to go.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Short answer: Would I buy it again, yes. I've had no issues at 8 years and 120k miles.

Long answer: When we were first married, we bought a Subaru wagon and really liked the versatility for two of us. My biggest mistake was getting rid of that when it was approaching 100k miles. Fast forward a few decades and I decided to jump at the JSW with the improved diesel engine. Night and day over the 2000 beetle I'd been driving. I've used the JSW for many moving trips for the kids, with and without a trailer. We've done quarterly trips to see our granddaughter in northern Indiana. We've done Ragbrai the last two years using the JSW to get our stuff, bikes, clothes, camping gear, to and from Iowa. The only thing I would change would be to add airbags in the rear suspension. I have tried to talk the wife into buying a 15 when they were released but the price was a little high for a three year old car and our current car still has a lot of life in it. I'm just over 120k miles and am trying to decide when to get the fix. I'll motor on with the new warranty for the next five years before deciding what comes next.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Yep!

Loved my car and planed to keep it for a long time, but the buyback was too good to pass on.

I've been toying with the idea to buy one again for a daily but finding a mk6 Golf TDI for a reasonable price is tough.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Noise, vibration, harshness. I tend to think NVH on the tdi's has gotten better over the years. Though I actually don't mind a little diesel clatter. One mans noise is another's music.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
I just had the mod done and waiting for my check. This was my decision to keep the TDI. So to answer you I wound NOT buy another, I don't need to. I already have one and plan on keeping this for another 10 years. I see no reason to get rid of it. What has this feel, fit finish, power, economy, range?

It is paid for. VW and bosh has given me $6,500 in my +6 years of ownership. It really is going to be a keeper. Why? They don't make them anymore and I like it.

I did buy a used 2015 Nissan LEAF as a back up spare car to dip my toe in the EV world cheaply. I now after 6 months have a good feel for what that ownership, lifestyle is like. Very doable and not bad. You have to develop some habits, like plug it in when you get home, unplug before you leave. Nissan has really done amazing human factors engineering. There is a learning curve for a newbie to be sure. However after a month it is very familiar and comfortable. There is always RANGE anxiety, because you end your trip, return home often with less than 20 miles showing. That is kind of an emergency in a TDI with 600-700 mile range. However it is normal. A fast LEVEL II charger can stuff +20 miles/hour range into the battery. However that is first hour or two... it starts to level off. To get that last 20% takes as long as the first 80% (just the nature of Lithium-ion batteries).

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 SportWagen TDI DSG (Buyback 2018.01.30)
Been a month since I returned the SW and I do miss it. I replaced the '11 SW with a '13 GTI. I love the GTI much more than I thought. It is significantly easier to park, amazing what a difference a foot makes. But that said, I do miss the extra space in the boot in the SW. Would buy one again without question, just would add an AdBlue tank to keep it on the road longer.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
Been a month since I returned the SW and I do miss it. I replaced the '11 SW with a '13 GTI. I love the GTI much more than I thought. It is significantly easier to park, amazing what a difference a foot makes. But that said, I do miss the extra space in the boot in the SW.
The GTI has performance going for it. It was on my very short list to replace a 2013 VW JSW TDI 6M...................

The BB $$$ + 'End of Model Year' pricing - added to the general effects of this here emissions situation (the US court involvement, public opinion, seeming corporate awareness - - - not necessarily guilt))..........

All of the above led me to end up with the highest EPA rated (MPG) Jetta: the 1.4 turbo/5M.

About as close as I could get to the fuel numbers associated with my wagon.

And - sure nuff - on a careful 140 mile drive along a two lane country road at a sedate 55-60 MPH......................I did calc just over 52 MPG.

So the potential is there. I like that.

best, ez

Last edited:

Mk4tdi02

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf TDI
Awesome! gotta love the TDI community! Thank you. We ended up buying a 2012 sport golf wagon comfortline, very happy with it so far, only 300 km since we got it.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
I just got my $5100K and extended warranty for another 2 years or 20K (based on age of my car and mileage). We are good to go, at least another 2 years.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I just got my $5100K and extended warranty for another 2 years or 20K (based on age of my car and mileage). We are good to go, at least another 2 years.
Is that an extra extended warranty or the emissions fix warranty? I thought the emissions warranty was 4 years or 48,000 miles.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
The warranty depends on the generation of the car, manual vs. DSG transmission, and probably size of the engine, but 2 years/20k miles seems lower than any I've heard.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
The girlfriend needs a car so I wanted to get a 2012 jetta wagon 2liter diesel that i came across. Has the DSG tranny too which is super smooth, I was all set to make the deal and then I got confirmation that the recall hasn't been done on it and my local Diesel mechanic told me to stay away from it if it has 230 000km which i thought was not much as mine has almost 400k. As he mentioned that the Turbo's go on them regularly and the DPF is an expensive fix as well and way more convoluted then the MK4. So my question to you guys is would you buy your car again if you could? Should i buy this car or just get something else if so what do you recommend for the same gas mileage and same space. Thank you. !
Used cars are a crap shoot. The post 2009 TDI's are way more complicated and expensive to fix than ALH. The issue with the CR TDI's are the hand-grande modes...

1) HPFP fails and puts metal into fuel system taking out a lot of other components. It is at least $5,000 to fix. There is a modification (not approved by VW) to retrofit a better HPFP with no history of failure. There is another modification that adds extra filters to isolate metal contamination.

2) When the Turbo goes it can dump oil into the complicated exhaust system.The exhaust system, DPF, EGR valves, coolers, catalytic will/may be damaged. I am guessing this is another $5,000 bill on up. There is no other modification except proactively replace the turbo or upgrade turbo to a bigger CR170. Changing things requires reprogramming the ECU. You are now going down the expensive hobby road of car modification. Other owners remove some or most of the "After Treatment", like the DPF, EGR system, CAT. Of course this is against Federal Law.

My 2010 is still under warranty for 4 years and 40K miles, because I had the modification done in March this year.

I don't know if VW will fix (MOD) this car and give you that extended warranty? If they will do the modification at no charge with extended warranty, then yes this would make a buy less risky. (You may not be elegable since you did not own it and apply when the whole diesel gate went down.)

HOW MUCH IS THE CAR? If they are giving it away? Of course there are many factors in buying used cars, especially diesels. If your GF does not drive far or very much a year, she is likely to forget to put diesel fuel in and not GAS... hates the smell of diesel fuel, then don't buy it. Get her a nice used Honda, Toyota, Hyundai... lower cost of ownership and way lest risk of extraordinary maintenance cost. German cars are just more expensive to repair and one can argue less reliable. A nice Japaneses/Korean used car can be had under $10K and is way more likely to be trouble free for 10 years than the VW. Again CR TDI's are complicated and expensive to repair... you were warned. The good news is they drive great, have tons of torque...

So yes TDI's are great cars but don't judge it on your earlier Gen TDI which is 1970's farm tractor simple. If you can find her an OLDER TDI great. However the newer TDI has more airbags and is safer, more comfortable.

I got $6000 in restitution from VW, and my 8 yr 105K mile car will be under warranty until 12 years and 145K. As I said the modification came with 4 years and 40K mile warranty covering the HPFP, Engine and exhaust. I am happy. Once the warranty is up, I will likely keep the car and do things to make it reliable, change and/or upgrade of the HPFP and turbo. I like to see 250,000 miles before I think of getting rid of a car. It is far cheaper to do preventative maintenance than let them fail. However a used Honda RAV4 or Hyundai Elantra hatch back... will not need any of this effort.

noise vibration harmonics
I love normal mechanical engine noises. Of course the CR TDI's 2009 and on are pretty quite. The only time I am aware of fantastic diesel sounds my TDI makes, is driving into storage unit facility. The metal storage units about 20 feet apart, with concrete drive between the metal buildings, windows rolled down, sound of engine and turbo echoed around. Love it. The older TDI's were of course louder. But the later model ones post 2009 are very quite.

As far as harmonics, the CR TDI has some excellent serious higher order harmonics damping in the design of the engine. In other words, what vibration are you talking about? Older TDI's not sure about.

Don't people loves sound of drag cars?
Sound of Harley Davidson Motorcycles?
P-51 Mustang WWII fighters V-12 Merlin short exhauststack engine?

Last edited: