I cant pass emission without a air bag module

Racing4funn

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf Bio
If I have a check engine code for any reason then I fail. This is a ex-flood car and the water got up high enough to take the airbag module out that is located on top of the center hump below the dash and radio.

Ive been driving this car for months and its been a great car but the check engine light is on and airbag light too. I removed the module and called VW dealer. With the number shown on the module they told me there is two version of this box with the same exact id number. There are many others but the numbers are different. If anyone can get me one of these then I guess I got a 50/50 chance of it working. VW also said it would have to be programed by them. IS this true? Maybe (long shot) that both versions of the module COULD be programed.

What does anyone know about this?
Thanks!

Last edited:

chromeBuddha

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual
I would take a shot and try buying one from a salvage yard. Do you have access to vag-com. There really is no substitute for getting the exact codes. It will reduce the scope of troubleshooting.

The airbag and check engine light are likely unrelated. MIL is often glowplug related. I guess TN is more strict that TX. I had a MIL last year (GP related and now resolved) and the inspector said, "You are lucky this is a diesel. Any gas car would fail of the MIL was on."

There are some trusted mechanics in TN. You should use the VAG locator thread at the top of the 101 forum to find someone who can get you the correct codes.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You really should not get a used SRS controller, for safety reasons. I'd order a NEW one, from your local dealer, based off of your VIN.

In 2001, the Golfs sold here could have come from Germany or Brazil, 2 or 4 door, with or without side curtain airbags. Your VIN is the only for sure way to get the correct control module, and even then it may still need to be coded for your car.

That said, I do not believe a non-communication issue with the SRS module should make the engine controller send an MIL request to the cluster, so you probably have something else wrong.

Racing4funn

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf Bio
I have a vag-com. There is a code for the airbags causing a Check Engine light. Its been many many months since I saw the code and I dont remember how it was worded.

A new control module is discounted at just over $400. Thats not going to happen since I have $2k in the whole car. Im going to have to find a used one. Cant afford that much for a stupid module. Anyone know of a good place to find one?

tdinewbb

TDI
2003 Jetta
I am surprised that is required. I have had a airbag light since i bought the car, no problem passing inspection in PA....

Racing4funn

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf Bio
They told me that if any light was on then the automobile was NOT operating as intended from the manufacture. It blows my mind too. Maybe they will frown upon having different speakers or seats in the car.. These guys suck. Im going to try another testing facility next week.. The check engine light code has something to do with the module being bad and they for sure will not pass me with that light on.

I still need to get this fixed as cheap as possible.. If the system is happy with a salvage yard module and it runs a test on the system periodically, then why buy new. Its not worth an extra $300+ for new. The dealer is going to program the module anyways if me just plugging it up dosent make the computer happy.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I agree about a used one working just as well, as if it runs its self check (which it does every time you turn the key on) then it should work the SRS system just fine. However, many auto recyclers simply won't sell used airbag components because of the liability. However, I doubt anyone at a 'self serve' type yard would even know what an SRS module is, if you yanked one out yourself and took it to the front counter.

You still may need to recode it, though.

Kevin_McC

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003. Silver
I have a used one from a 2002 Jetta for sale at $100 shipped. I'll check the part number when I get home today

Racing4funn

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf Bio
If it matches whats in the picture, I will take it. The dealer tells me there are two different ones with the exact same part number. guess that gives me a 50/50 chance. I will install it and see if all lights and codes go out and if not then take it to the dealer and see if they can code it.

nadroba

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta, 2005 Jetta
As far as I know airbags don't trigger the check engine light. They trigger the airbag light

Racing4funn

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf Bio
As far as I know airbags don't trigger the check engine light. They trigger the airbag light
I got both. I will rescan the engine like and report its wording and code.

Now that I think of it, maybe the engine light was for the deleted EGR.. Either way I need to and want to get the air bag system working.

Last edited:

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Now that I think of it, maybe the engine light was for the deleted EGR.
K, that's a horse of of different color.

In anticipation of the next question, getting an ECU tune is the only reliable way to permanently deal with a CEL caused by a EGR delete. :)

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
I got both. I will rescan the engine like and report its wording and code.

Now that I think of it, maybe the engine light was for the deleted EGR.. Either way I need to and want to get the air bag system working.
Genetic OBD ( the one they use in emission machine) won't pick up air bag code( data bus missing message for Air bag controller) in engine ECU.
Your problem is EGR delete.
If in your state they do emission test then you want pass emission if you have EGR delete. EGR monitor needs to be ready and it will not if you delete EGR,even with tune ECU

Racing4funn

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf Bio
If in your state they do emission test then you want pass emission if you have EGR delete. EGR monitor needs to be ready and it will not if you delete EGR,even with tune ECU

OH are you sure about that? I was counting on an ecu tune to remove the light and code and passing. You are saying that their system checks for EGR readiness?
I have a 03 mustang cobra (nearly a racecar) that dosent have any of the emissions stuff but it has a gutted cat for visual and flashed ECU to turn off all the lights. They hook up to it and everything looks good on their end so i pass.. Ive moved forward enough with this idea already that Im going to get the tune and see what happens anyways. I think they scan for codes only here. How else would I be passing?

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Maybe is different in NC, Here in Texas we don't have emission for diesel but for gas engine all monitors has to be there and ready.
I guess you can tune ECU and see what will happened.

Racing4funn

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf Bio
Maybe is different in NC, Here in Texas we don't have emission for diesel but for gas engine all monitors has to be there and ready.
I guess you can tune ECU and see what will happened.

Hey Ive looked over some stuff about you.. Im impressed and appreciate you sounding off in my thread. If you dont mind I will be in touch with you real soon about ECU tuning. Thanks :D