6 speed auto or clutch

cal71919

TDI
2012 Jetta tdi
Looking at a 2010 0r 2011 TDI Golf and am curious as to how durable the auto transmission is. From what I've read, the auto trans in the MKIV's were susceptible to failures, just wondering if that was corrected in the MKVI's. Also, how much is the difference in fuel economy between the auto and the clutch. I would prefer an auto trans but can live with a clutch if its more reliable and more fuel efficient.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
The DSG's (automatic) are a massive improvement over the old automatics. The DSG's downside over the manual is more maintenance and at some point they do malfunction which can be very expensive to fix.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The DSGs have proven to be pretty darn good. I am not a fan of automatics, but that one holds up and performs pretty good when mated to the CR TDIs, and the fuel efficiency is pretty close to the same as the manuals.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
The DSG's (automatic) are a massive improvement over the old automatics. The DSG's downside over the manual is more maintenance and at some point they do malfunction which can be very expensive to fix.
The only extra maintenance is a fluid change every 40k which you can do for yourself for under a hundred bucks.:cool:

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Another upside of the DSG is the slow gear change ensures long life for the synchronizers. A traditional manual transmission uses the synchronizer clutches to help match the gear shift; a dragging clutch or driver error will accelerate wear. The DSG doesn't have this issue since the transmission shifts gears on the opposite shaft before the gear is needed.

oilhammer

TDI
I think you'd be splitting hairs to see which synchronizers wear out first, the 02E or the 0AJ. I mean, seriously, either of those items generally will last as long as anything else on the car would.

:p

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
At what point do they malfunction? Very few recorded on this forum
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=490206&highlight=mechatronic
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=486633&highlight=mechatronic
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=481237&highlight=mechatronic
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=487433&highlight=mechatronic
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=486946&highlight=mechatronic
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=485430&highlight=mechatronic
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=485197&highlight=mechatronic
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=484120&highlight=mechatronic
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=480175&highlight=mechatronic

Search is your friend. Culled from 1 page of 16 pages of results using the search term "Mechatronic" which is the brain of a DSG. So an average of 9 threads per page for DSG Mechatronic problems times 16 pages = 144 threads give or take for DSG with Mechatronics issues.

If you have to replace the Mechatronic, it cost $1000 to $1500 just for the part. Really fantastic transmissions until their not..........

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
Given the shear number of these on the road, the M-unit is still a pretty low failure item on the 02E DSG. Remember, lots of gasoline fueled VAG products use them, too.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Given the shear number of these on the road, the M-unit is still a pretty low failure item on the 02E DSG. Remember, lots of gasoline fueled VAG products use them, too.
Very good points OH. I would love to have a DSG and mostly they are just to complicated and unnecessary for my taste. A lot of people don't like my opinion on a Pano roofs either.

Opinions are just that, opinions and are like TDI's, everyone should have one. :D

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Jaguar XE TDI, 2014 Sportwagen TDI
I have the 6 sp manual in my TDI and absolutely love it. Up in the foothills having the manual transmission transforms this little VW from a station wagon to a sportscar. When I last had my oil changed (90,000 miles) I asked the technician to check the brakes (original pads) and he said that I had at least 50% left on the pads, and that's probably because I use my transmission for deceleration rather than my brakes. With a Malone 2.0 tune and a standard transmission this is the ideal little every day hauler that thinks its' a sports car.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
That's great to hear. Many people just don't understand how to drive a manual correctly. They will never downshift and will coast with the clutch in up to a stop and wonder why they are only getting say 25K miles on their brakes.

Their rational is that brakes are cheaper than a clutch. The fact that downshifting puts almost zero wear on a clutch is beyond their comprehension.:confused:

130K miles on my current clutch (changed to SMF at 55K miles) and 185k miles on my original front brakes with about 1/3 of the material left. The rear brakes were a disappointment. I only got 100K miles out of them. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
The "AUTO" is a DSG, or direct shift gearbox... it has dual clutch pack to split manual transmission. The controller shifts for you, but it's a manual transmission that shifts better than you could ever do. You can always manually shift it, without having to push a peddle with your left foot.

If you look at almost any super car, Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bugatti Veyron and Ford GT.... all have DSG... question?

Which is better? Practically on a VW the manual is slightly lighter and due to final gearing gets a little better MPG for cruise (due to slightly lower RPM for highway speed). This is all goodness, except in ease of driving on a daily commute sipping coffee.... For the DSG... amazing fast smooth shifts. The DSG requires oil and filter every 40K miles you can do for $120 in parts (if you pay for the service it is triple this). The DSG clutch will likely out live the manual clutch by a factor 3. DSG has proven to be reliable. Manuals are also reliable. There is the DMF dual mass flywheel, dampening springs failing (which may be rare, but it's a thing). I think DMF is on both manual and DSG, not sure.

I guess one more issue is if you go for a "TUNE" your VW TDI for more torque, you also have to TUNE the DSG to accept the higher torque, which is limited by the transmission software.... that cost an additional charge to program.

This subject has been beat to death...it is like debating what is the best ice cream flavor, personal choice. Practically DSG is more common. For some it is a sign of manhood to have a manual and envision it makes them great drivers, better than DSG drivers... seriously there is some chest thumping over the issue. Some say MANUAL ONLY ... I say don't care. I have DSG and love it. If I had manual I'd like it as well. Both are fine.

Last edited:

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
Personal preference. I know that there are many advantages to the DSG, however, my wife and I enjoy using the clutch and manually shifting. If I lived in the city I would certainly have a DSG or automatic for commuting and local trips, however, we live up at the foot of the Sierra Nevada Mountains and 95% of our driving is on two lane twisty, hilly roads, and the manual transmission just can't be beat up here.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
^Yup. I also prefer a manual to an automatic- whether it be a slushbox, dual clutch, or CVT. I might feel differently if my commute involved a lot of stop and go traffic.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
Another consideration is if you plan on towing, Here in the US vw is pretty down on towing in general, but they allow some (1000lbs) with a manual and do not recommend any with the DSG. I'm sure lots of people tow successfully with both, but I know my manual happily tows 2500lbs no sweat.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Another consideration is if you plan on towing, Here in the US vw is pretty down on towing in general, but they allow some (1000lbs) with a manual and do not recommend any with the DSG. I'm sure lots of people tow successfully with both, but I know my manual happily tows 2500lbs no sweat.
In Europe I believe tow limit is 1000/2000lbs for DSG/Manual respectively. I have a Harbor Fright 4' x 6' utility trailer, 1200 lbs max payload. I have had it loaded with top soil and gravel to it's max (which would be close to almost 1500 lbs total). On level ground my JSW TDI doesn't even notice it. I think if you keep it under 2000 lbs and not driving at extreme speeds or grades you are golden.

The DSG has a very low first gear so the DSG clutch slips very little. Even with a reasonable trailer (on level ground) slipping is pretty minimal. However if you try and pull a big heavy boat out the water at a steep boat slip, it my be a situation where clutch is slipping. A jet ski out of a shallow slip boat ramp, no issue. With a manual transmission you have more (all of the) clutch control. So you are in charge of damaging the clutch with a manual...

Last edited:

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
I frequently tow either a motorcycle or my ACE ATV up over the Sierra Nevada mountains. The combined weight of my trailer and my ATV (and my heaviest motorcycle) are right at 1,000 lbs. I think we go up to around 8,000 ft going over the mountain and my little Jetta stays right up with my buddies and their 3/4 ton diesel pick ups. I occasionally have to drop down to 4th gear (5th and 6th are both overdrive) for the steepest hills, but 4th at 60 MPH is still at a very easy cruising speed for the engine. I'm sure it helps to have the Malone 2.0 tune, which gives me 170 rear wheel hp and 298 ft tq.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I frequently tow either a motorcycle or my ACE ATV up over the Sierra Nevada mountains. The combined weight of my trailer and my ATV (and my heaviest motorcycle) are right at 1,000 lbs. I think we go up to around 8,000 ft going over the mountain and my little Jetta stays right up with my buddies and their 3/4 ton diesel pick ups. I occasionally have to drop down to 4th gear (5th and 6th are both overdrive) for the steepest hills, but 4th at 60 MPH is still at a very easy cruising speed for the engine. I'm sure it helps to have the Malone 2.0 tune, which gives me 170 rear wheel hp and 298 ft tq.
Wow, Malone must be good to get a fwd car to make power at the rear wheels! ;)

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
Turbobrick, it's a figure of speech. I have a 6 sp standard transmission, however, manual transmissions are certainly not standard any more. You really have to hunt to find one.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I was just ribbing you a bit :) . Wheel horsepower is probably a better figure of speech when referring to fwd cars.