Looking for a good mechanic

wholebean

TDI
new beetle 1.9l
I live in Pickering, ON. I have an '01 beetle 1.9 TDI that needs a new timing
belt very soon. Can anyone recommend a good honest mechanic? I'm totally fed up with the "stealers"..:mad:

Thanks,

wholebean

rhskcdn

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Wagon 2014 Reflex Silver
I've always had good experiences dealing with Brandon (DCB website) at 400 and Finch.

yatzee is correct that this is asked quite frequently so definitely do a search for others. However, I'm not sure that map is going to be much help... I can't see anything listed in the GTA beyond Wingut's home.

fukeen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 1990 Golf
Use the search and don't jump at randomly recommended mechanics either. Some mechanics may have started with good work ethic, but lost their way over time :rolleyes:.
You may want to attend local meets to get the scoop on mechanics. IMO some trusted members will not comment here anymore to prevent arguments and long winded discussions.

dr_p

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Wolfsburg Golf
fukeen is right, be careful. there are a few guys that really have a hate on for Brandon @ DCB and will always chirp negativity on any thread that mentions him, just for the sake of it. that being said, I have sent everyone with a VW to him, and he does all the work on my in warranty VW.

fukeen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 1990 Golf
fukeen is right, be careful. there are a few guys that really have a hate on for Brandon @ DCB and will always chirp negativity on any thread that mentions him, just for the sake of it. that being said, I have sent everyone with a VW to him, and he does all the work on my in warranty VW.
LOL Wait a second, let’s get this straight…. I’m not endorsing DCB. Nor am I steering this thread in direction of DCB conversation. In fact I couldn’t care less about DCB’s existence, and I didn’t even mention DCB in my previous comment. It is dry, boring, redundant, stupid and it needs to stop. Let it’s reputation speak for itself and the business flourish or crumble. Who cares(dime a dozen) ???!!!!
All I’m saying is that there are many other mechanics our club members prefer to use and are happy with (myself included). These mechanics don’t end up on the forum and don’t need much advertising because they let their work speak for itself. Now,,, if somebody were to ask me at the meet for my opinion I would gladly provide one and back it up with facts (good or bad). That is why I’m saying to come to the meets, hear different opinions and make your own conclusions.

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
And as usual Dr P sticks his "Shlong" in where it does not belong and with comments that are not in any way helpful to the original thread direction what so ever....

MrVermin

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
belt very soon. Can anyone recommend a good honest mechanic? I'm totally fed up with the "stealers"..:mad:

Thanks,

wholebean
It will be hard with you being in Pickering, not much out there :(

You have DCB in Toronto at 400 and Finch

You have Precision in Vaughan on Keele north of Number 7

And a few others, but nothing close to you :(

You may want to come out to a few of the weekly meets and talk to a few of the people there in order to get a better idea of what is available around you.

MrVermin

OT: and that Dr P is how you post constructively in a thread like this.... Learn it...

PHAT-DUB

Vendor

Thanks,

wholebean

Try
Ian @ Automotive Solutions here in pickering. I use him when i don't have the time etc plus he's right by my work. he is a VW guy.

Dennis

dr_p

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Wolfsburg Golf
MrVermin, read my whole post as I seconded a previously recommended shop. You of all people should not be pontificating about posting practise.

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
MrVermin, read my whole post as I seconded a previously recommended shop. You of all people should not be pontificating about posting practise.
Your comment inside your post responding to Fukeen assertion that one has to be careful as to which mechanic they choose to present their business to, showed a not so subtle jab at Fukeen's past experiences, even though he made no mention at all as to what transpired and with whom. As usual, you choose to continue to "Poke" to see what type of reaction you will get (just like an immature child) out of posters here. You must really hunger for the attention, probably due to some issues in your upbringing. In any case, please refrain from these sideways attacks on other members trying to help others.

MrVermin

Quanger

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 ALH TDi
Getting real off topic here guys. Anyhow, I recommend Brandon at DCB in a heartbeat. He does great work and has treated me well.

dr_p

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Wolfsburg Golf
Quanger is right. MrVermin stop wasting everyones time with your 'mature' and 'evidence based' conclusions and PM me your comments that are in no way related to to the thread.

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Quanger is right. MrVermin stop wasting everyones time with your 'mature' and 'evidence based' conclusions and PM me your comments that are in no way related to to the thread.
Hmmmmm and what "evidence based conclusions" did I put forth Dr P?

Maybe it was the fact that I posted the names of a few TDI mechanics in the GTA? or maybe it was the fact that you keep trying to get a rise out of others by "poking" them ad nauseum just to justify your existence.

In any case, as was stated earlier, there are a few TDI capable mechanics in and around the GTA

DCB (Brandon) at 400 and Finch
Precision Tuning at Keel and Langstaff
Ian @ Automotive Solutions in Pickering (thanks Dennis)

and a few others I forgot...

MrVermin

stagman

TDI
2005 NB
LOL. I'm really enjoying this catfight.
You guys running for office or something?

petea4

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS

Thanks,

wholebean
Hey,

PM'd you a Whitby mechanic.

dr_p

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Wolfsburg Golf
MrVermin:

Sarcasm is lost on you. You are correct, you didn't produce any evidence based conclusions just opinion that seems to flip based on which threads you started recently or commented on in the past, you show your maturity by using terms like "shlong" to inject a negative connotation , and you continue to hijack this thread to make comments to me (and then re-recommend the same shops as a cover reason for posting).

Anyways Wingnut will probably lock this thread now that you have ruined it, and you and 'the crew' can go back to trolling the Ontario forums waiting to jump in on a thread that mentions DCB.

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
MrVermin:

Sarcasm is lost on you. You are correct, you didn't produce any evidence based conclusions just opinion that seems to flip based on which threads you started recently or commented on in the past, you show your maturity by using terms like "shlong" to inject a negative connotation , and you continue to hijack this thread to make comments to me (and then re-recommend the same shops as a cover reason for posting).

Anyways Wingnut will probably lock this thread now that you have ruined it, and you and 'the crew' can go back to trolling the Ontario forums waiting to jump in on a thread that mentions DCB.
Well, I for one do not go out of my way to "Troll" for threads making any mention of DCB. In fact it is just the opposite, you were the first to mention it and bring it up, so why blame me for your issues?

In a way, I am actually guilty for allowing myself to be brought down to your level by originally answering your post, so I apologize for that.

While it is true that Wingnut may lock this thread, and that may be unfortunate, I hope that he does not. I will not answer any further posts of yours pertaining to this thread, so you may have your way and continue to pontificate on your righteousness.

MrVermin

petea4

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS
I'm curious,

Define: "the crew"

Purch

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI 6spd
Sweet baby Jesus! You guys bicker more than my wife! Hahaha.

I've brought my car to Brandon at DCB with no complaints, dude seems to know his stuff.

I don't have any personal experience, but there are a couple guys in Whitby that I've talked to that seem to know their stuff. I believe One is called Am42, check am42.com, claims to do a lot of TDI timing belts. There is also Willi's Car Care, it's at Highway 12 and Myrtle rd, guess it technically the Village of Myrtle. They always have VWs out front, and I've seen a few comment here about them being good with tdi's.

As I said, I have no personal experience so for all I know they're crap. Do some calling around and use your best judgement. Good luck with your search.