Hi press fuel pump fails at 94K. Covered?

jhonster

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen, , 2001 Jetta, 2000 Jetta
Hey all. Just bought a 2013 Jetta TDI wagon w/91k on it 2 months ago from a used car lot. I did all the services myself including the fuel filter in March when I bought the car. Driving home from looking to buy another one for my wife, my glow plug light flashes & the car looses power. I pull over. Cycle the key. Light goes off and power comes back. Go another 1/2 mile, now the glow plug light flashes again & the Ck eng light comes on this time. Slowly looses power so I pull off to the side of the road. Then it dies & won’t restart. Just cranks normally. I happen to have my laptop & my VAGCOM cable since I was looking at cars to buy that day & scanned it. Had a bunch of low fuel pressure codes in it. Pretty sure I lost the high pressure fuel pump. Anywhooo. Read a bunch of horror stories in the net last night of people having to fork up 7k to fix this issue. Does anybody know of the 10yr/120,000 emissions warranty will kick in to deal with this? Or am I screwed on this? I’m in the US. California to be exact. Anybody w/personal experience on how to deal with the dealer in this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance ?

Radek

TDI
2015 Passat SEL
Did your car have both stage 1/2 done ?

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

TDI Kovács

Veteran Member
TDI
Two Preban TDI's; One "FIXED" TDI.
They'll probably tell you it was due to fuel contamination. Don't accept that. Tell them setting for years probably led to it. There might be algae in the tank.

Radek

TDI
2015 Passat SEL
I hesitated on fixing my car and was told no warranty if I don't get both stages done, if his car isn't fixed he may be on his own

jhonster

TDI
I hesitated on fixing my car and was told no warranty if I don't get both stages done, if his car isn't fixed he may be on his own

What do you mean by getting both stages done? The update emissions label says recall code 2343, dealer code 422126 & the date done on 4/20/18. There’s 4 boxes that say, software update, NOX trap (LNT) (BASFTEX2064), EGR filter & Exhaust valve (EGR Flap)....and none of the boxes are checked.

Also. I asked the dealer if they do a diesel sample before authorizing the repairs under warranty. He said yes, they will. And if the fuel checks out ok, they’ll authorize the repairs. And, they said they’d pay for a rental car as well. Just hope they don’t come up with a fuel contamination issue, because all I’ve ever run in this things since I’ve owned it for the past few months is the low sulfur stuff from Arco & other fuel stations.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW

There is only one fix for pre-2015 JSW. I think the 2 phase only applies to the 2015 2 liter TDI's.

Yes, the HPFP should be fixed the emissions warranty.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
2 phase fix was basically for any cars that use urea. All 2015s and the nms passats.

yes, the hpfp is covered as part of the fix warranty.

jhonster

TDI
There is only one fix for pre-2015 JSW. I think the 2 phase only applies to the 2015 2 liter TDI's.
Yes, the HPFP should be fixed the emissions warranty.
Thank you guys for the input. Hopefully they don’t pull a rabbit out of the hat & say, “whoops! Sorry! Your fuel is contained. $7000 please!” ? ?

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Thank you guys for the input. Hopefully they don’t pull a rabbit out of the hat & say, “whoops! Sorry! Your fuel is contained. $7000 please!” ? ?
Have them take two fuel samples while you watch. If they claim contamination, have your sample tested.

Simon

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Have them take two fuel samples while you watch. If they claim contamination, have your sample tested.

Simon

+1

The whole idea that they need to test the fuel is a possible setup to try to soak you for a repair that they should fund 100% under the dieselgate warranty. There is nothing in that warranty that says HPFP failures will be covered only if the buyer’s fuel passes a contaminant test. I don’t think I’d even agree to the condition, but instead would suggest a quick call the dieselgate settlement attorneys might change everyone’s tune.

As always, be firm but also be polite. Shouting and threatening the service manager is not going to help your case.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
They tried to tell me it may be bad fuel, but ended up changing the HPFP, fuel filter, and drained tank after they said they found "plastic" pieces in the lines. Official paperwork said metal shavings, so I don't know what was going on. Either way, they covered it 100%.

This was a 2015 Passat TDI with 70k miles.

jhonster

TDI
Dealer said they’re going to warranty the HPFP thank goodness!! But. I was reading about how these things fail, and from what I’ve read, the pump sends metal & trash into the fuel rails, injectors, & throughout the whole fuel system. The dealer said they were going to replace the injectors, the rails & the HPFP. Plus. I’m paying an extra $1000 to have them do the timing belt, water pump & all the tensioners since he’s having to pull the T/B to do the HPFP. But. The fuel tank issue bothers me. I don’t have a service manual for this car (yet, I plan on getting one), but, I was worried that if this fuel system has a return line, that there will be trash in the tank as well. The dealer said they flush the tank at 1st. When I spoke again to the service writer, he said he spoke to the tech & the tech said nothing makes it back to the tank. So. I’m guessing it might be a returnless fuel system. The warranty covers the fuel tank itself. I wanted them to replace the tank since it’s under warranty too. He said it’s not necessary. Having been a working mechanic now for 43 years, I have yet to pull a fuel tank that didn’t have SOME kind of trash at the bottom after 94k Miles. Not sure if I should call VW & have them get involved. Nice thing though, the warrant also covers a rental or loaner car. So. Hopefully they’ll reimburse me the costs of my rental. Heck. The service writer wasn’t even aware of this letter sent out to owners I found on the internet. Or he is aware of it, but they have a hush hush policy. https://www.kiaofstcloud.com/public/documents/vwtdiwarranty.pdf

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I would push for them to do a complete job of it. Why have it done half a**ed and then have issues later and have to be doing this again. It is under warranty after all. If they don't, keep all the paperwork handy as you may need it in the future. Just can't see balking at doing the fuel tank. You can't force them though. If it fails again that paperwork will come in handy.

Kudos for doing the TB while in there! Make sure they don't reuse the one time only bolts as well.

Last edited:

TDI Kovács

Veteran Member
TDI
Two Preban TDI's; One "FIXED" TDI.
There was a post by a fellow member back on Aug 21, 2012 where he took detailed photos of all the paperwork showing the work performed and cost under warranty as well as the contaminated tank that they replaced. I have all the photos but can't find the thread.

It looks like it's a good idea to replace the fuel tank to be safe. But they'll do what they agree to even if it takes another failure to prove that the tank should be replaced.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
...But. The fuel tank issue bothers me. I don’t have a service manual for this car (yet, I plan on getting one), but, I was worried that if this fuel system has a return line, that there will be trash in the tank as well. The dealer said they flush the tank at 1st. When I spoke again to the service writer, he said he spoke to the tech & the tech said nothing makes it back to the tank. So. I’m guessing it might be a returnless fuel system.
Not a returnless system ... there is a return pipe to the tank. But, the suction pump in the tank has an inlet filter just like any other, and it's pumping the fuel up to the main filter which it all has to go through. Flushing the tank should be fine.

tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta 2015 sel grey / black interior
It’s definitely covered under the extended warranty take it to a reputable VW dealer !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
2 phase fix was basically for any cars that use urea. All 2015s and the nms passats.

yes, the hpfp is covered as part of the fix warranty.
Nms 12-14 passats are one stage only, there was a second recall later to update the software a second time (potential check engine light due to low urea injection over80 mph).

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Thanks for the clarification.

viper550

TDI
14 JSW 6M, 15 Q5 TDI S-Line
Shouldn't the TB just cost parts?Considering VW is paying the labor for the HPFP and the TB has to be taken off to do that. So wouldn't the dealer essentially be getting paid double labor?

viper550

TDI
14 JSW 6M, 15 Q5 TDI S-Line
I'm not 100% sure but I don't think replacing the HPFP fully overlaps the timing belt replacement job. There's some overlap, but not 100%.
I just mentioned it because to take TB off the crank, cam, and hpfp all have to be locked with pins. So I was thinking that the TB and water pump would pretty much just be parts which are like $300-$400.

durbo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 260k........ 2000 golf 2 door 100k.
I just mentioned it because to take TB off the crank, cam, and hpfp all have to be locked with pins. So I was thinking that the TB and water pump would pretty much just be parts which are like $300-$400.
I agree 100%
Timing belt job by itself from the dealer should be $900-$1000.
I wouldn’t pay more than $500-$600 for the extra time and material (from the dealer) to have them do the extra work. $1000 is ridiculous to charge when it’s already locked and torn down.

durbo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 260k........ 2000 golf 2 door 100k.
If they won’t go any lower on the price, I’d tell em to pound sand and have a guru do the timing belt.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
From my experice on my 14 passat, just the tensioner and rollers at a good discount was close to $300. Plus belts and water pump (i had a water pump failure)