Group Drive: Mt. Washington Auto Road [CONFIRMED]

Are you interested in attending a Mt. Washington Auto Road group drive? ~$30/person

• Total voters

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The group drive on the Mt. Washington Auto Road has been CONFIRMED!

Anyone interested in participating in this event should log into the registration system at http://reg.tdifest.com and edit your registration to add this event. Remember to add it for each person in your party who wants to do the group drive, even if he/she is only a passenger.

Cancellation Policy: We will ONLY cancel the group drive in the event of unsafe weather conditions on the Auto Road, as determined by Auto Road staff.

Restrooms: Restrooms are only available at the base of the mountain. There will be no restrooms available at the summit, as the National Park building will be closed. Please plan accordingly.

Driving Restrictions: Our group will be lead by an Auto Road van and followed by an Auto Road van. The Auto Road encourages everyone to have fun, but please no speeding, showing off, or otherwise acting like a fool. The Auto Road is both challenging and dangerous, and it is not an appropriate place to practice your racing skills. Also keep in mind that the general public will be leaving the mountain (going down) while we are going up, as they are all required to leave the summit at 6:45 PM. I don't know how many people this will be, but be prepared to encounter some traffic as we ascend the mountain. Going down, it will be all ours.

Any questions? Let me know!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This poll is to gauge interest in a group drive up to the top of Mt. Washington on Saturday evening for sunset at the summit. Time commitment for this event will be 45 minutes from the hotel to the base of the mountain, 30 minutes up the mountain, about an hour (or more?) at the top of the mountain, 30 minutes back down the mountain, and 45 minutes back to the hotel (or to wherever you decide to go). Total will be around 4 hours on Saturday evening.

Pricing will be $30 per person (even if there are multiple people in one vehicle). It's a little higher than the normal rates, but we will have the entire mountain to ourselves for several hours after they close to the general public. Payments will need to be made through our registration system and will include the associated PayPal fees.

Remember this is still tentative, as I'm waiting to hear back regarding availability. I will know for sure if the road is available for rental by tomorrow. The purpose of this poll is to make sure we have enough people (30 people minimum) to make this happen.

Please respond to the poll in this thread as soon as possible. :)

Last edited:

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green

n1das

TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
N1DAS & g/f Lisa --> IN for the trip. :cool:

Planning to drive the 2014 BMW 535xd up the mountain! :cool:

Latest delivery status is the car is on schedule to arrive at the port in NJ on Thursday 8/8 or Friday 8/9 this week. Then it's 5-10 days of waiting for it to arrive at the dealer in NH (Tulley BMW in Nashua NH).

MonsterTDI09

TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
N1DAS & g/f Lisa --> IN for the trip. :cool:

Latest delivery status is the car is on schedule to arrive at the port in NJ on Thursday 8/8 or Friday 8/9 this week. Then it's 5-10 days of waiting for it to arrive at the dealer in NH (Tulley BMW in Nashua NH).
I can pick it up for you :D

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
Count us in too!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The mountain has confirmed availability and pricing for a 2 hour sunset cruise (sunset is 7:24 PM on the 31st). In order to actually do this, I need to be confident that we can hit 30 people, which means getting more responses to this poll thread as soon as possible.

If you're interested in climbing the Mt. Washington Auto Road for a sunset vista on Saturday, August 31st, please respond to this poll thread. :)

FYI, we are just over half way to our minimum commitment to doing this as of right now. :cool:

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
Seems like the poll is missing an option:

Yes - I would like be driving someone else's vehicle to the top

I'm in for this.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
I would say myself and my wife are in. sounds like a good time.

any idea about costs per person? does it get cheaper with a larger group? or is the group size/number of cars limited?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I won't be able to make it to the fest but.

I'm not 100% sure if they close down the auto rd for weather but don't rule out 65-70 mph winds with 10ft visibility.

I was up in Errol NH this past weekend and drove thru a storm that dumped an 1.5" of rain in under 45 min, with 30+ MPH winds in the valley and then sunny the next.

It's a rare day when the weathers perfect up there.

02AutoWag

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon (5-speed swapped)
Wasn't there a timeline of Fest events posted somewhere?
What impact will going on this drive have on attending specific Fest events?

n1das

TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I would expect the schedule to be adjusted if needed, provided there's enough interest in this event to make it happen. IIRC, minimum 30 people needed.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
No impact at all. Agenda will be posted later tonight or tomorrow when I'm done tweaking it.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
voted.
So the cog rail locomotives are powered by biodiesel? Well, two can play at that game!

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
I was there a few weeks ago, but the buggers classed my VW LT as a "motor home" and wouldn't let me up. The darn thing climbed all kinds of 15% grades in the Bavarian alps.....I think the average grade there is only 9%.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Good numbers for only having the poll open for a couple of days. I'm going to call the auto road in a little bit and get some more information from them regarding weather policies and whatnot... then I'll seal the deal! :cool: