1992 isuzu to diesel TDI swap

superhl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle
I have a 2002 1.9 diesel that I would love to install in my 1992 2.6l gas pickup space cab. The trans is MAU T-3. Whitbread thinks I need a 4.3v6 5 speed transmission to mount to the TDI. Anyone familiar with Isuzu 2.6l gas engines/transmissions?

Motohead1

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 bug+telephone pole
Isuzu was mostly a chevy hodge podge so its most likely a SBC bolt pattern. EVguy has what you need if thats the case.

superhl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle
Would I better off purchasing a toyota transmission and if so which toyota transmission? The TDI that I have came out of an automatic. I want a manual transmission. What else will I need. I would like to put it together for testing before installing.

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
Like he said, hit up EVguys page/site. He has a variety of adapters so you can pick the tranny you want to use... Ford 3.0 or 4.0, Chevy SBC, I think he's working on a Toyota 22r adapter, some others I cannot recall.

If the current engine block uses the small block Chevy bolt pattern, then you can use that adapter and the current transmission.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jeep Cherokee TDI, 2008 Jeep JKU TDI
You do have some good choices of transmissions with the adapters I have online.
I also just delivered the first Nissan 4 cylinder adapter.
The Toyota is still under revision but close.

superhl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle
Currently removing the 2002 beetle engine. Then I will remove Isuzu engine. Then I will be ready to rock. I will post picture of the transmission when removed. Hoping I can use it but if not I located a couple of T-5"s

1.9ZOOK

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH Samurai
Link says this is a `93 Isuzu 5 speed tranny,looks like the starter placement could be a problem.?????? Anyone?

edit: Well after comparing to a Toyota, it looks pretty close.

Last edited:

superhl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle
Both engines ready to remove

I disconnected both engines, wiring, motor mounts, etc. I labeled all the wiring on the TDI with masking tape. Also labeled any part that needs to be removed. I pulled the tyranny Saturday from the Isuzu pickup. I will remove both engines and order an adapter plate and send the computer off for reprogramming.

superhl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle
Isuzu tryanny

I was hoping maybe this is the same tranny as S10 T-5.

Last edited:

superhl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle
rear seal

Removed engine from beetle and wondering if I should replace rear main seal and oil pan gasket? Engine has 130,000 miles. I sent my ECU to Whitbread to tune. Ordering my adapter from http://gastodiesel.tdconversions.com/ tomorrow once I pickup my transmission- Chevrolet S10 V6 4.3L GM NV3500 NV 3500 Transmission 5 Speed. Wiring removal almost complete.

Last edited:

superhl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle
S10 V6 Tranny

Pickup tranny today.... Ordering adapter. Can't wait to put it together.
Chevrolet S10 V6 4.3L GM NV3500 NV 3500 Transmission 5 Speed and 2002 VW beetle TDI

Last edited:

superhl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle
Anyone out there no where I can get a Chevy 153 tooth internal balance 2 piece rear flywheel without breaking the bank? Randy from TDI conversions suggest a heavier flywheel. I can find 16 lbs flywheels but the 22 lbs flywheel are expensive.

Motohead1

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 bug+telephone pole
22 will not be enough. you need a 30lbs+ that RAM or Centerforce makes. its well worth the $200 price tag.

Exenos

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
I found a stock 27lb flywheel used. With the larger diameter and extra mass it has over twice the ke of a stock tdi flywheel. I'm confident that that will be more than enough for my swap, i'd guess it'd be the same for you.
Your truck is nowhere near as heavy as motoheads Dakota so you wont need as large of a flywheel as he did unless you want it. I would put money on 22lbs being enough but a heavier flywheel does make for an easier drive.

superhl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle
found 30 pound flywheel

Matt Whitbread sent me an ebay link for a 30 lb flywheel. It should arrive this weekend. Waiting on Matt to send me the adapter and my ecu tune job. I removed all the wiring from the beetle and it is in the middle of my living room. I have removed most the tape.

superhl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle
engine and tranny installed.

I completed the engine and tranny installation. Now on to the wiring. Completely lost on the wiring. I have Bentley, Haynes, and Mitchell. The Bentley does not show all the connections the relay panel. Not sure if I am connecting it correctly. I have traced most of the pins on the ECM and labeled.

Last edited:

superhl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle
Here is not so good picture of the engine in the truck. I will get better pictures later.

Last edited:

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Check orileys AutoZone and advance auto for the flywheel. If you have a buddy who has a shop you can use his discount.

A flyweel from a 1979 camaro z28 350 4 speed will have that pre 85 2pc 153 tooth flywheel.

I think the last one i ordered (for an isuzu disel swap) was less than 50 bucks. It's been a few years. Many auto stores also match online prices. I believe it is 22 lbs iirc.

And for future reference, many smaller trucks dont have the large clutch master cylinders that are found on chevy full size trucks or even the s10 so they can at times have an issue with fully disengaging the clutch. Makes it fun switching gears. I have found this in Toyota land cruisers running chevy engines(or diesels made to look like sbc engines since Toyota to sbc adapters have been around longer than me). Since the Toyota 3 speed and 4 speed land cruiser tranny and chevy sm420 and sm465 have the same spline count and OD hole clutch disk using the stock chevy clutch and pressure plate is a no brainer. However, the fingers of the pressure plate point outward away from the clutch instead of running parallel requiring more "throw" than what the small Toyota clutch master cylinder can provide. Plus you dont want your throw out bearing riding on your pressure plate fingers...if it starts squeaking it will drive you nuts.

So what i found was a 1968 checker cab inline six with 4 speed (made by gm) has a much shorter throw and fits perfectly to the 153 tooth flywheel. This can also be sourced at a local auto store. I'm not positive if the nv3500 shares the same spline count or input shaft size as the older chevy 4 speeds but it's something to keep in mind. After some googling the nv3500 and older sm465/420 all used a 10 spline clutch.

Edit just saw updated pics...of install...im too late. Maybe it will help someone else in the future.

Last edited:

superhl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle
When Matt tuned the ECM, he deleted EGR. Do I re-route the vacuum as this picture displays or leave them as they are?

superhl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle
nice, that is the same fuse/relay box I used.
What kind of fuse box did you use or did you use the original fuses from the truck? The fuse box I used I don't really like. The fuses don't appear to be tight enough.

bwk9087

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jeep JKU 1.9 ALH
What kind of fuse box did you use or did you use the original fuses from the truck? The fuse box I used I don't really like. The fuses don't appear to be tight enough.
Just the one you show in the video with the relay installed.

superhl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle
bleeding the master cylnder

Check orileys AutoZone and advance auto for the flywheel. If you have a buddy who has a shop you can use his discount.

A flyweel from a 1979 camaro z28 350 4 speed will have that pre 85 2pc 153 tooth flywheel.

I think the last one i ordered (for an isuzu disel swap) was less than 50 bucks. It's been a few years. Many auto stores also match online prices. I believe it is 22 lbs iirc.

And for future reference, many smaller trucks dont have the large clutch master cylinders that are found on chevy full size trucks or even the s10 so they can at times have an issue with fully disengaging the clutch. Makes it fun switching gears. I have found this in Toyota land cruisers running chevy engines(or diesels made to look like sbc engines since Toyota to sbc adapters have been around longer than me). Since the Toyota 3 speed and 4 speed land cruiser tranny and chevy sm420 and sm465 have the same spline count and OD hole clutch disk using the stock chevy clutch and pressure plate is a no brainer. However, the fingers of the pressure plate point outward away from the clutch instead of running parallel requiring more "throw" than what the small Toyota clutch master cylinder can provide. Plus you dont want your throw out bearing riding on your pressure plate fingers...if it starts squeaking it will drive you nuts.

So what i found was a 1968 checker cab inline six with 4 speed (made by gm) has a much shorter throw and fits perfectly to the 153 tooth flywheel. This can also be sourced at a local auto store. I'm not positive if the nv3500 shares the same spline count or input shaft size as the older chevy 4 speeds but it's something to keep in mind. After some googling the nv3500 and older sm465/420 all used a 10 spline clutch.

Edit just saw updated pics...of install...im too late. Maybe it will help someone else in the future.
PickleRick,
I am having trouble bleeding the clutch. Just can't get a hard clutch. Both master cylinder and slave are new....How difficult would it be to replace the Isuzu master cylinder with the S10 that is made for this tranny? I don't think this master cylinder is big enough to disengage the clutch.

Last edited:

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Im not sure if say a 1999 chevy 1500 5 speed clutch master would fit to your fire wall. The good thing about local auto parts stores is a good return policy.

First i would use a vac pump to make sure your clutch is 100% bled.

If that didn't work id go to orileys and buy that clutch master and see if it fits. Many of the blazer,camaro, fiero brake master, brake boosters interchange but ive never fooled with clutch master swaps on any gm vehicles. I've spent the last 18 years modifying hondas and Toyotas.

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
Before you go randomly replacing hydraulics check the sizes and strokes of the parts. If the original master for the slave was larger, you will need larger, also if the stroke is different you need to make up with size or stroke, if you can or get more stroke. Hydraulics are mathematically predictable assuming all is bled well.

For stubborn bleeding of any brake or clutch I resort to running a tube from the bleeder to the reservoir and opening the bleeder and pumping the pedal till all bubbles are long gone, then close the bleeder. You don't waste much fluid as you are just cycling it through.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
You may find googling specs of a particular size/bore master cyl. Sometimes using orileys/AutoZone etc look up it will have the specs in the description. Obviously aftermarket wilwood eastwood etc racing brands will list bore stroke and everything else.

With that being said if you are using the clutch out of the same vehicle your transmission came out of you already know you have the proper internal slave.

If you find them on google it will most likely be to a thread where someone has done an nv4500 or 3500 tranny swap in a jeep or Toyota or other vehicle and had similar issues.

I want to say the 4500 and 3500 had the same internal slave or maybe its an assembly with the hose attached. Its been ages since i looked into those transmissions in detail.

My low profile clutch choice was to help me not have to mix and match master/slave cylinders and reduce headache on swaps. You learn more on your first conversion than any other.

I did a quick Google search. Many people use the nv3500 in different swaps to get a cheap mt with od swap. Many have had throw issues

It appears that Some say the slave should ride the fingers at all times. Some say a .060 gap. Spacers can be purchased to make it sit closer. If your isuzu had the same master cyl as a blazer you should be good with your master cyl. The full size and blazer/s10 nv3500 are all integrated bellhousing and should have the exact same depth from one to another. Should is the key word here. The shifters are probably shaped differently.

Last edited:

superhl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle
external slave

Thanks for the reply!
The nv3500 is an external slave.