500hp+ Common Rail TDi - 9.7s 1/4 Mile @ 146mph - Aiming for 600hp, 9.49 @ 150mph+

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Because I'm not an idiot or a troll.

numbnuts

Veteran Member
TDI
mk2 golf
Hi Ryan,

Think we spoke about this before but Why not use DSG? This will surely make a low 9s car, have you seen the results the Adrenalin tuning mk1 golf has with DSG?

84 GTI

TDI
2001 Jetta
Amazing progress, keep up the good work!

Do you find that your valve cover vent dirties the intake side of the turbo, intercooler and intake piping? Just wondering why you opted this method vs a catch can or an exhaust vent?

Sheppy

TDI
Polo GT TDi, 2260, Stock injectors, 225bhp
Interesting question, I'm glad to see no catch can ;)

We don't have another crank vent like 1.8T engine, our vacuum pump also pushes pressure into the crank case. My opinion is to not restrict the crank case vent in any way, I don't know how restrictive catch cans are, so I don't use one.

I wonder what Ryan's thoughts are though, because I've always wanted a second option

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
My opinion is to not restrict the crank case vent in any way, I don't know how restrictive catch cans are, so I don't use one.
catch can doesn't have to be restrictive in any way, it's just a can with a rag stuffed in it to condense vapours, and the vacuum pump exhaust flow is insignificant compared to normal blowby at 5k rpm and 40 psi
it is extra weight that a drag car doesn't really need

I'd imagine it's dumped in the intake so it doesn't drip on the track, which'll get you kicked out.

84 GTI

TDI
2001 Jetta
catch can doesn't have to be restrictive in any way, it's just a can with a rag stuffed in it to condense vapours, and the vacuum pump exhaust flow is insignificant compared to normal blowby at 5k rpm and 40 psi
it is extra weight that a drag car doesn't really need
I'd imagine it's dumped in the intake so it doesn't drip on the track, which'll get you kicked out.
So why not just plumb it into the exhaust and avoid getting oil mist in your intake system?

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
We are thinking of DSG for next year. We have a DQ500 test car to play with over the next few months. I'm not sure if it's worth the weight penalty compared to a DQ250.

We tested the CCV to exhaust and we had positive pressure, I think only NA cars scavenging effect is strong enough.

Even just a hose to atmosphere gives too much pressure at high boost / Rpm, plus drag strips like to see a can!

Oil has a decent Cetane value anyway and there is no downside to lower case pressures so we pull as much as we can out.

Last edited:

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
How strong can the dq350 be? i know Dq500 can take 1000+ Nm with proper software and clutches, about 100kg of weight.
Since i remapped it 3 weeks ago the dq500 goes much better.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Had this out last week, managed 165mph in the 1/2 mile on low NOS then killed 4th gear. We are going to another event with 1/2 mile in a month or so.

Jetmugg

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Amazing work there! If you ever decide that you want to run at the Bonneville Salt Flats for a land speed record, please hit me up. I have a record-holding diesel truck entry (completely SCTA compliant with log bood) that's already set up for VW power.

Steve M.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Amazing work there! If you ever decide that you want to run at the Bonneville Salt Flats for a land speed record, please hit me up. I have a record-holding diesel truck entry (completely SCTA compliant with log bood) that's already set up for VW power.
Steve M.
Sorry Steve, only just seen this, If you want to discuss this further I'm sure we could build an engine for you and offer some support! a Common rail engine would be the way to go.
Yeah that was a good day, other than 4th gear becoming smooth after a few runs! The video has some funny comments but over 250,000 views so I'm not worried.
Dont have too many pics of the new look front end but here is one without the bumper:

The latest runs at Santa Poda couple of weekends ago were not quite as successful as we hoped but the engine had a short fuse from the start and was built knowing it would not last for various reasons. So, 2 Days at GTi International, The Autocar video and most of the day at Bug Jam was a decent lifespan for this engine!

The Fastest 1/4 mile with the S300v Turbo and CR engine was a 9.99 @ 147.73mph with quite a few runs being in the high 14xmph area and we did not run our peak fuel or Nitrous yet so 150mph is almost in sight. Our 60ft times are still not there (1.75 vs 1.55) but new tyres and a much larger turbo need dialing in so not too worried there.

Rain was not our friend last weekend despite being in the middle of a Drought and Heatwave! Every year we do our best to attend TOTB, this is a Drag racing and 1/2 mile shootout on a concrete airfield not too far away from our place. We are always the only Diesel there so its good to mix with a bunch of people that wont normally see what we can do, this event is DOT tyres only so we run MT ET Streets. With a 10.89 @ 144mph and being almost a full second quicker than anyone else we would have easily won the eliminations outright had Paul waited for the boost to build but we still came away with 3rd overall, Fastest 60ft and Fastest time (as well as speed) Trophies:

Layerz

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 2.5 TDI AKE
Yeah that was a good day, other than 4th gear becoming smooth after a few runs! The video has some funny comments but over 250,000 views so I'm not worried.
Yea YouTube comments are one of them oddities tbh, mate of mine has a Daihatsu Cuore Avanzato TR-XX R4 (mouthfull) and he's got a video of a nasty nasty oil change (was left standing for near on a decade) and the comments roll in daily saying all sorts.
What's funny is in the YouTube world all engagement is positive for promoting a video so likes/dislikes typically don't matter unless you do a Ghostbusters and all the comments regardless bump the video.

Front end looks like it's got some immense cooling on it!

So the big question....what's next?

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Yea YouTube comments are one of them oddities tbh, mate of mine has a Daihatsu Cuore Avanzato TR-XX R4 (mouthfull) and he's got a video of a nasty nasty oil change (was left standing for near on a decade) and the comments roll in daily saying all sorts.
What's funny is in the YouTube world all engagement is positive for promoting a video so likes/dislikes typically don't matter unless you do a Ghostbusters and all the comments regardless bump the video.
Front end looks like it's got some immense cooling on it!
So the big question....what's next?
It needs to be immense so there's enough room for the LOGO!

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
Excellent results as usual Ryan !

Do you know the weight/hp of the AM Motorsports car ? Would it be lighter than your car ?

Love the blog.Pretty cool to see that the "competition" drove Jerome's car !!

You guys must be happy with how things went.I expect without a doubt that you will be #1 next year.

What % of flow over stock are the injectors if you don't mind me asking ?

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Thanks guys, It was a good weekend except for the NOS supply issues, we usually have a mother bottle in the van but our supplier shafted us!

I really do believe we never had the full NOS effect on any runs we did that weekend. We also still have about 20% more to go on the controller when we have a full bottle!

We are quicker everywhere except the 60ft (1.52 vs 1.41), the gains after are quite significant

The AM car has a LOT of carbon fibre, all our car is still metal (Aluminium Doors and Tailgate) and the turbo is silly heavy. I'd say at least 100kg less.

We need to build a new car to get less than 700kg. Unsure what to do next.

Injectors could do with being a little bigger, we have around 50% more flow than the Stock oval port injectors.

EGT's are super low now compared to before. Just over 1000c now at the end of the strip.

Only one more event we might attend next month but the track wont have as much grip so late in the year I dont think so we might only be able to break the 150mph record.