block heater?

gabecustom

TDI
01 VW Jetta TDI 1.9L 5-Speed
I just got my first TDI from my father in-law and he sent me here for advice. Its a 01 vw jetta 1.9L. Had a little trouble starting this morning do to cold weather.
I was wondering if there is a block heater mod, or something along those lines, for a prompter start in cold start situation.
Just looking to find out what my options are and what has worked best for some of you.
Thank you for the assistance and patience as i am very new to this vehicle.
Gabe

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
That car shouldn't have any problems starting on its own in Iowa. Frostheater is great, but more for comfort than necessity. You may have something else wrong with the car.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
I think you need to check your glow plugs, battery, starter as it was not cold in Clive this morning. It has been in the teens around here and my car starts right up.

Yes at -25F the frostheater is very nice and the engine does not know it is cold outside. But at 23F the engine should not think it is cold.

gabecustom

TDI
I grew up with a 82 240D Bens, so i know what it is to plug it in every night. and i do believe you guys are correct that it wasn't cold enough to give me problems this morning. as fare as other possibilities, its got 2/3 of a tank of bioD and additive. Its my wife's daily driver, so i think she did't wait for the glowplugs and drained the battery. That being said, this FrostHeater looks like something that may keep the complaints of "the cold ride to work" at bay.. :D
I read the blurb about the factory feeling comfortable not having a block heater, but if i understand diesel engines at all, when its cold heat helps..
comments welcome!

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Here's a couple comments.
The frost type coolant heaters are great, especially if the car sit outside. An hour or two on a timer is usually enough to keep warmup times decent.
Get real fuel instead of bio for wintertime use.
If you don't have a CEL on, your GPs are probably fine.
Your battery probably isn't fine, nor is the starter if it's still original.
If the GP/wait to start indicator doesn't stay on longer now that's getting cooler, the coolant temp sensor is probably shot-especially if it's still original.
Give the wife a friendly lesson on diesel/TDI starting procedure.
Good luck with that list.
Search is your friend here and welcome aboard!

merk

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta sedan, 03 silver wagon
My wife is in our 03 all winter too, I scored a set of leather heated seats from a wreck at the salvage yard...grey on a tan interior...looks ok. I drove the car for a few years and the tan seats were so stained, she did not like them. The car is garaged and I plug my frost heater in for half hour and it starts like a summer day and gets heat fast. She waits for the gp light to go off and she is a happy camper. Absolutely loves the heated seats. She takes it over our 2012 Tacoma. I just replaced my original battery last winter. Predicting the starter this winter, its been moaning for years..:p though you never know how long the starter can moan for! Getting the fenders replaced hood and front doors painted this month on VWs dime... will have the shop hit a few other hot spots on my dime, should be lookin good... or at least better ;)

gabecustom

TDI
Thank you wreck, i will double check with my father in-law and see what he has replaced and check the things you suggested! Thanks again!
I jumped it this morning and took it down to the interstate battery store and they tested it for me and the battery passed with flying colors.. so that's one thing off the list. I'm thinking the coolant tepm sensor.
Merk,
we've got the heated seats as well and they are sick! this is the by far a higher end car than i ever thought to be driving at my age(26). needless to say the heated seat are the second best thing about the car.. it's kinda hard to compete with 55-60mpg. :D
thanks again.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
The starter needs to crank the engine to IIRC 350 rpm before you get fuel. So if the battery is good and the car cranks happily then coolant temp sensor is a good idea. If not this is the best starter to buy: http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1478 My car 2002 is at 229,000 and I am on my 3rd starter and the link is to the one I have in there now and it is great.

The temp sensor is http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=351 and if you do it on a cold car and drain some coolant you will not have to replace much.