Vag506m has replaced my VCDS

badgator1

TDI
2006.5 Jetta brm DSG, MB diesels and SL's
I got tired of having my old laptop and VCDS hex-cam cable in the trunk. I bought a Vag506m for $33 off ebay. Fits easily in my spare parts box. Here's some of the tests I have done with it so far.

VAG tests and settings

Test/Settings - Controller - Function - Group - Menu - Setting - Info
EGR test 1400rpm - 01 Engine - 04 Basic Settings - 003 - vary from 470-230 - @ dif rpm, ok
TDI torsion value - 01 Engine - 08 Meas. Blocks - 004 - +/-3.0 -torsion pulley - vary 0.5 w/rpm
MAP/turbo test - 01 Engine - 04 Basic Settings - 011 - Drop Down - OnOffNx - 150mbar@1400
Inj Quantity Dev - 01 Engine - 08 Meas. Blocks - 013 - w/i +/- - 0.5mg varies - +/- 1.0 mg/str
MAF testing - 01 Engine - 08 Meas. Blocks - 032 - 2nd Lambda - is over - 25% = bad maf
Fuel Pump Priming - 01 Engine - 04 Basic Settings - 035 - Drop Down - OnOff Nx - Active 30 sec
Trans fluid temp - 02 AutoTran - 08 Meas. Blocks - 005 - or 2,4 ,19 - 1st field - 35c/95f
TPMS code 01503 - 65 Tire Pres - 16 SecurityAccess - then - adaptation - Ch 5-8 - lower to 2.6 bar

Here's a link to the chart above- https://drive.google.com/open?id=18vHU3q4DQkxysVX7O_ULnkMLFqNPSf54

Will it fully replace my VCDS? No, but at least I don't need to lug the laptop around.

I do have pictures of most of the test screens above, I will post them soon.

Last edited:

codyayrton

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6M (sold to VW), 2015 Golf S Sportwagen TDI 6M
I've "lugged around" a Winbook TW700 for a couple of years now. It was less than $100 and fits in my glove box with the rest of my stuff I normally put in there with room to spare. The Winbook is basic needs as far as a computer goes but VCDS functions on this small tablet like it did on my old laptop. I don't even have VCDS on my new laptop. I just email the scans to myself. I also carry a USB hub so that I can use the mouse in addition to the VCDS cable as there is only one USB port.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yes but what can a scan tool DO for you while on the road? Not saying it isn't handy, but not really necessary. Of course, some of us drive reliable cars :p.

Seriously, though, I've driven probably a million miles on cars that had no OBD, so I guess it isn't a big deal to me. I carry very little with me when I travel.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I dunno. Kessy wigging out? I have my laptop anyway, so throwing the VCDS cable in the bag is easy.

For a while our roommate had to clear the intake runner position sensor code every startup on his 2.0TSI Tiguan with the scan gauge, the limp mode it put the engine in seemed to be super lean (according to him) and caused misfires.

Yes, now the intake has been re-replaced, and the MIL is out :)

-J

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I leave VCDS at home and just use Torque on the road. I always have my phone and the OBDII adapter is always in place out of the way. Lets me monitor gauges if I want and see and clear codes if needed. I have an old Nexus 4 I always leave in there for Torque use, as well as an old Garmin gps. My Nexus 6P handles the phone and streaming duties.

badgator1

TDI
Why, Why, Why

Oily- Why would you bring ANY tools on the road?
I regularly drive 1700-2300 mile 3-4 day trips for work, that is WHY I bought my TDi.
I have NEVER been stranded travelling the US in 38 years.
I travel with TWO spare tires, and have gotten 2 flats in less than 50 miles near Paducah, Ky at 2am on a Sunday and kept driving.
Matter of fact I have a spare starter, alternator, and fuel pump in the trunk too, try to find any of them on the road.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I have never been stranded either in over 40 years and I never carry any of that stuff or tools usually. If I was driving a rat trap of a car maybe. Fix a flat works fine for most flats unless you shred the tire. If time is really critical then I can see doing what you are doing. Clarksville, TN. has a dealer and could probably get parts to you quickly if needed as can most places. Some of our vendors have even shipped NDA to get people on the road again. If it works for you then keep on trucking.

I went on a cruise with my wife a while back in my Tahoe. Alt went out in the middle of nowhere. Turned every electrical thing off I could, and crept into some small town. A local retired sheriff hauled me to a dealer 60 miles away and picked up a new alt and then back again. Borrowed a few tools and swapped it out. Thanked everyone for their help and was on my way again. Took about 3 hours all told.

oilhammer

TDI
I think if I were that worried, I would just rent a car, LOL. :p

So long as I have cell service, I have no need for any extra parts.

badgator1

TDI
I think if I were that worried, I would just rent a car, LOL. :p
So long as I have cell service, I have no need for any extra parts.
So Oily, relying on a cell service doesn't seem too bright. Do you rely on the Police and the Electric co. you sheltered little man?

oilhammer

TDI
So Oily, relying on a cell service doesn't seem too bright. Do you rely on the Police and the Electric co. you sheltered little man?
Wow, nice attitude. :rolleyes:

Yes, I rely on lots of fellow humans, and some of them rely on me. I am very sorry my "sheltered little life" has afforded me a reliable car that I can drive all over and not worry about having to drag along a pile of replacement parts and tools to change them out. Maybe if I see you on the side of the road somewhere I will honk and wave as I drive by?

Good luck, it sounds like you need a lot of it. :cool:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
omg Oil how are you gonna survive the upcoming terrorist EMP that throws us back to the stone age?

Gotta have a bug out bag and escape plan, don't be like the lemmings gotta prepare now!!!!!

Remember where he's from, that should say it all.

As for scan tools, all the cool kids are keeping ODBeleven on their rides, VCDS is way old school.

As for me, I'll carry and extra liter of oil and that's pretty much it.

Ohh, I do wear belt and suspenders, you just never know when you gotta tie off a tourniquet cause someone sliced their femoral artery, and i'm not havin my pants fall down cause of it.

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
If an EMP hits all your car will be good for is a green house or a shelter, and that is if you don't have KESSY.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
If an EMP hits all your car will be good for is a green house or a shelter, and that is if you don't have KESSY.

Says the lemming that hasn't retrofitted their car's electronics with a Faraday Cage exceeding Mil Std 188-125-2. ;)

Have fun fighting over the last twinky and can of baked beans!

hopefully my sarcasm was thick enough, I'm fully aware I'll be a goner in the first wave.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Sadly, cellphone service is one of the lesser reliable services in the time of crisis. I cannot think of an incident (earthquake, 911, etc) in which cell service didn't immediately fold. In my early years, I designed some of the first cell systems in the US, and that kind of stuff was always in the designs at that time . . . but then carriers discovered that they could make more $$$ if they didn't bother to harden anything, and we have what we have now . . . a trendy, fragile, expensive system that generally becomes unavailable in times of need.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Wow... Are you this much of a jerk all the time?:rolleyes:
Well he is a Bad Gator. Criticizing oilhammer on here is like wearing a Down with the Pope t-shirt to a Catholic Mass.
Don't we want folks to share their thoughts?

robm2

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
What does the VAG506M NOT do, compared to VCDS?

It looks like something like this is a good idea to have, but I can't stomach the cost of the Rosstech gear for my home use. Nearest dealer is 600 km away....

jef@rosstech

Associate Ross-Tech Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 Dog hauling, wood towing, pinball stashing Jetta wagon
This device appears to be a generic knock off product of another knock off product, with China, no surprise that would happen. :rolleyes:

It is easy to claim a product supports [XYZ]. However, no one at Ross-Tech has tested one of those, so we can't verify it does all that it claims. We know what VCDS can do and it has a +17 year proven track record to back it up.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Functions
http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/main_screen.php

What kind of support is built into the product? Long Coding Helper? Measuring Value Block labels? Login and coding charts? Readiness scripts? Full decrypt and description of +20,000 DTC numbers?

Use of the device itself? How easy is it to view MVB groups 001, 103 and 106 at the same time? Is it possible?

What about product support? Do they provide a phone number for free product support? Do they provide free software/firmware updates for the device? Do they maintain a free technical wiki site?

robm2

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
No doubt the Ross-tech product is superior in every department you have mentioned. However, for $268 Canadian, plus another $300 for a laptop to run it on, I can't help but think of looking at less expensive alternatives.

If I can get 80% value for 10% of the cost, I will be very interested indeed. The question is, is it 80%, and what is left out in that 20%?

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Inquiring minds want to know, seems folks don't like to say.
If you would need to buy a laptop, then your approach seems sound. One thing I've read about some aftermarkets is updates are not free.