Purchasing advice: JSW

sportwagen rick

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 SportWagen
First let me just say, what a great site! I was able to learn quite a bit while lurking. Finally decided to pull the trigger.

Anyway, I'm hoping to get some specific advise on dealing with the stealership. So I know exactly what I'm looking for as far factory/port installed options (with the exception of the Pano. Roof), but I also definitely want to add the full body kit, and probably 18" wheels. I know these two would be added at the dealer. So my question is, in terms of entering the negotiations, should I be up front about wanting to add these additional accessories? If they know they will be making more on accessories, do you think they'd be more inclined to knock off some from MSRP? Or do you think if they know I'm already willing to spend top of the line money they will be more inclined to stand firm at or over MSRP? I already kind of feel that I'm at a disadvantage because I have such specific criteria for the wagen I want. I mean how likely is it that I can just tell them I'll just get one from another dealer, you know? They'll know they have "the" one I want. That's kind of why I'm also staying open on the Pano Roof, at least that's one option I could take or leave.

Thanks in advance! Can't wait to get into my JSW.

x43x

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 SW
I just ordered a JSW this past weekend so I may be able to lend some advice.

I contacted three local dealers. Two didn't want to do much searching for me but said they could order my specific car. The third one searched for current inventory and future deliveries for all dealers west of the rockies and came up nil. I would have to order my car. The caveat of ordering now is 1 - Does the dealer have enough allotments to get your order in? And 2 - If they don't, and you have to wait an extra long time for your car, do you mind only getting the $650 tax credit if it arrives after June 30th, or maybe even waiting for a 2011?

I placed an order through my local dealer as they stated they were given many allotments and could get my order into the factory ASAP. In the meantime, I contacted Chris in PA and he found a car that matched my color choices and a few port options that he would have swapped out, coming to port on the east coast in early March. He did the #'s and even with shipping to Seattle, it would be $200 under MSRP. Just as I was about to tell him to sell me the car, my local dealer called to say my ordered car was accepted at the factory and it would be delivered in May. So, I am going local for MSRP and a little less stressing from the cross country shipping and buying out of state.

If you have to order a vehicle you might as well order all the options you want. The wheels are a port installed option I believe so it would probably cost you more to have them added later at the dealer. I'm not sure all of the body kit pieces are even available yet. I think they come plain too and they have to be painted to match your car color.

TDI-Shawn

Veteran Member
TDI
JSW 2010
oh my, no pano?!

It is the one feature I would always get over any other. It is simply stunning and makes the JSW feel almost like a convertible!

At the risk of overstating it; the car is completely different with this feature.

sportwagen rick

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 SportWagen
x43x said:
I just ordered a JSW this past weekend so I may be able to lend some advice.

I contacted three local dealers. Two didn't want to do much searching for me but said they could order my specific car. The third one searched for current inventory and future deliveries for all dealers west of the rockies and came up nil. I would have to order my car. The caveat of ordering now is 1 - Does the dealer have enough allotments to get your order in? And 2 - If they don't, and you have to wait an extra long time for your car, do you mind only getting the $650 tax credit if it arrives after June 30th, or maybe even waiting for a 2011?

I placed an order through my local dealer as they stated they were given many allotments and could get my order into the factory ASAP. In the meantime, I contacted Chris in PA and he found a car that matched my color choices and a few port options that he would have swapped out, coming to port on the east coast in early March. He did the #'s and even with shipping to Seattle, it would be $200 under MSRP. Just as I was about to tell him to sell me the car, my local dealer called to say my ordered car was accepted at the factory and it would be delivered in May. So, I am going local for MSRP and a little less stressing from the cross country shipping and buying out of state.

If you have to order a vehicle you might as well order all the options you want. The wheels are a port installed option I believe so it would probably cost you more to have them added later at the dealer. I'm not sure all of the body kit pieces are even available yet. I think they come plain too and they have to be painted to match your car color.
Using the "Ask a dealer" thread over on Vortex I had a search run through the Western Region. There are two that meet my criteria in CA. I'm willing to go get them, but I need first to arrange the sale of my current vehicle. So will they still be there? I don't know. One has the Pano Roof, one doesn't. I'm open to a trade in, but not before I can remove custom stuff from the current vehicle. I have all the stock stuff, so it's just a matter of getting it done. Also I was hoping to apply some of the funds from selling those parts off towards the down payment. I honestly didn't expect any would be out there.

Also, my local dealer emailed me saying he can order what I want and it would be in approximately 3 months. I replied to check in on if they are aware if they actually have the allotments to get one in time for the full tax credit. Also inquired about where they are going to be in terms of price, relative to Invoice.

And yeah, I would prefer to order everything I want at the time of the purchase so that I can roll everything into the loan. I hope the full body kit is available, they are available on VW.com... but I suppose that doesn't mean much, considering they also state that JSW comes with chrome exhaust tips.

sportwagen rick

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 SportWagen
TDI-Shawn said:
oh my, no pano?!

It is the one feature I would always get over any other. It is simply stunning and makes the JSW feel almost like a convertible!

At the risk of overstating it; the car is completely different with this feature.
Well, it looks really nice. But I am a bit concerned about having to worry about damaging it when putting bikes, cargo, christmas trees, etc. on the roof. And I'm a little concerned about too much light/heat constantly streaming in during the hot summers in central California. Can it be covered from inside? I've never seen one in person, and the local dealer doesn't have one in stock to look at. I suppose a cargo rack/bars will protect enough from the roof top storage. My Jeep has a moonroof, and my current full roof rack has a removable panel to protect the glass when you need to load up the whole roof. I do like the idea of having it open on warm summer nights :D

sportwagen rick

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 SportWagen
Okay, sorry to be a blabber mouth, but still no advice on whether to begin price talks with saying I want the body kit or to wait until a base price has been established relative to Invoice? I know if I order I will just order everything I want, but should I start negotiations on a base price before I start adding things like the body kit, aluminum pedals, mats, shift knob, etc.?

Trbogolf

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Sportwagen
Tell them everything you're interested to have on the car, the options you must have as well as any you can live without. Then negotiate pricing. See if you can find a higher volume dealer since they tend to be willing to budge on price more than others. Also, see if you can find current invoice pricing on the base car as well as the options you want prior to walking in. That may help you out.

HTH.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2010/volkswagen/jetta/101215267/prices.html

Click on the red "Price With Options" to get invoice and MSRP pricing on the whole shebang with all your options. (that link is for the manual tranny version)

That will give you the price break-down for about everything you need. Note that the dealer gets a 2% holdback. Also note that Edmunds does not include advertising and port prep fees that VW charges to the dealers.

See Chris' break-down on this car (happens to be a Golf, not a wagon) to see the ad fee, which may vary by region:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2805170&postcount=6

Last edited:

sportwagen rick

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 SportWagen
frugality said:
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2010/volkswagen/jetta/101215267/prices.html

Click on the red "Price With Options" to get invoice and MSRP pricing on the whole shebang with all your options. (that link is for the manual tranny version)

That will give you the price break-down for about everything you need. Note that the dealer gets a 2% holdback. Also note that Edmunds does not include advertising and port prep fees that VW charges to the dealers.

See Chris' break-down on this car (happens to be a Golf, not a wagon) to see the ad fee, which may vary by region:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2805170&postcount=6
Thanks!:D

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Where you ask?

sportwagen rick said:
Thanks for the input. Any ideas where I can look to get invoice pricing?
:)

If you are asking at which dealer you might get an invoice price,
email or private message me for details.

Include your phone number, and I will call you. ;)

:D