2005 Passat 2.0 TDI idle vibration problem

kcs

TDI
2005 Passat TDI, auto 2.0
Greetings: New to the posting thing so here goes. Have the above TDI and have recently replaced (@ 85000 mi) timing belt, wtr pump, thermostat, serp belt, and all tensioners, pulleys including the alt clutched pulley (bad). Had a vibration at idle before all of this work and still have it. The engine appears to idle smoothly and vibration will go away with any addition of rpms. Looked at the motor mounts and don't see any sign of leakage (could they still be bad?) Vibration is felt throughout car when parked and in gear. I know some vibration is normal but this seems excessive. Appreciate any advice.

Nutsnbolts

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
This should move to the B5 section...

With vag-com, if you check the torsion value (measuring blocks-group 4-last block on the right), it should say 0-2.5. If not, this can cause the engine to run a little off, even if it has been set with the timing tools.

-Rich

Nutsnbolts

TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
^X2 with the balance shaft module, although this doesn't usually manifest itself as a bad vibration, but rather more of a rattling sound at idle.

I don't think that an axle is to blame here, since the OP stated that it happens at idle.

-Rich

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Yeah, that's the weird part: It SHOULDN'T have a vibration at idle with bad C/V joints, but multiple respondents have replied that theirs did exactly that, and replacing the cheap C.R.A.P. axles with VW original or Raxles has eliminated the problem.

I know the axles should have nothing to do with the shake when the car is at a standstill, and I don't have first hand experience, but when a dozen Fred's members all say the same about their own car and their own remedy, I have to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Nutsnbolts

TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
Fascinating! I've always considered "idle" to be stopped, in neutral or park, with the engine running. A misunderstanding on my part.

Still interesting that it would happen in drive with the vehicle stopped!

-Rich