Suspension Upgrade/Downgrade questions

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
I finally made it to Kentucky this week to pick up my 2003 IBW with 146,000 miles. This VW has H&R lowering springs, and Koni red shocks (unknown adjustment setting). The highway ride was great but this setup is too low and too stiff for me due to Massachusetts roads and potholes.

The current suspension was installed shortly after purchase and I have the original springs and struts which look nearly new. Putting the original springs back is a given. Should I also be looking to change the koni reds which have aprox. 15 years and 145,000 miles on them? They seem fine, but I do suspect they are set to a setting firmer than what I prefer.

Is there any value in a used set of 15 year old H & R lowering springs?

I will also replace the strut mounts, and control bushings and may just do the complete arm with ball joint so I never have to think about it again.

Does anyone have any additional suggestions, comments?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I posted on the for sale thread but I'll repeat here.

If the Konis aren't badly rusted or visibly leaking I'd stick with them, and put the stock springs back in, assuming they are in good condition. I'd set the Konis at 1/2 turn from full soft to accommodate wear.

If the springs aren't in good shape I'd suggesd VR6 Wagon front springs and stock wagon rears, or towing rears if you plan to carry a lot in the car. Taller is better. Reds and stock springs are my favorite setup for our lovely roads.

The H&R Springs probably aren't worth the cost of shipping them anywhere.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Peter. The original springs look brand new. I may be by later this afternoon. My Daughter just got back from college and the other jetta needs a control arm bushing, badly.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
Apparently, I have a bit of Franken_suspension. I have koni yellows on the front and reds on the rear. I found the adjustment knob in the box with the instructions and then checked the P/N on the box. It was set on full firm in the front and I dialed it to the softest position. The ride is much better now. This makes me less likely to change the springs immediately, but it will get done sometime over the summer.