TDICADDGUY's 2000 Silver Arrow NB GLS TDI

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
TDICADDGUY,

Cool pictures. I've got a 2005 Silver Beetle that I really enjoy driving. What is the little emblem on your driver's side door below the mirror? Thanks.

Eric

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D

I bought it from ECS Tuning but it is a genuine VW emblem. I dont think VW ever sold a TDI Sport Edition in the US but I think they were sold in Canada. I thought it looked kinda cool. I had seen some pics of an RSI Beetle that had an emblem of the same size/shape in that location.

That big flat side needed something in my opinion. This breaks it up a bit. Appearance-wise I will be doing window tint in the near future...and a pinstripe a bit below the beltline. I'm thinking a thicker red stripe with a thin black stripe.

beetle98

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle TDi
TDICADDGUY,

Nice Pics. Very good choice for wheels. I might need some of those on my 99 silver beetle. Chad

99 Beetle

TDI
1999 Beetle
Could you post a couple pictures of your interior. I noticed something in the center of your dash and didnt know if it was a gauge cluster.

beetle98

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle TDi
I have the same gauge pod in my silver beetle. Mine came from glowshiftdirect.com and was pretty cheap. Chad

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Yup...glowshift pod. And its only temporary. I have had a Bernt pod on order for several months now and it still has not arrived. Once it does arrive and I get it painted/installed the glowshift pod will be for sale. Unfortunately I had to hack up that portion of the dash that it sits on in order to pass the wires through. I will just sell it that way as I dont need that piece with the Bernt pod. Hopefully that will help it be appealing to someone, so they can reverse the installation and not have a hacked up dash afterwards.

Here's a pic with my McNally gauges:

merajj

TDI
currently none
did i see you going east on highway 55 towards 100 at around 3pm this afternoon ?

just curious, its why im here (saw your sticker lol)

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
merajj said:
did i see you going east on highway 55 towards 100 at around 3pm this afternoon ?

just curious, its why im here (saw your sticker lol)
Yes that was me! I was headed over to Minneapolis to deal with a machine shop down there that screwed up a head rebuild earlier this year. Camshaft snapped in two after 80 miles. Looks like I'll be getting some money back...I hope. Were you in a VW? I saw a blue Jetta that I was trying to get a better look at to see if it was a TDI.

lovemybug: Those top-notch gauges can be found here: www.mcnallyelectronics.com

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Oh yeah...I remember passing you and then you coming up behind me again.

Nice BMW...though I'm partial to VW TDI's and Chevy trucks. Have a good one.

Last edited:

vk_bigTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDi
here is my GOLF TDi
It has 4 inch raised in front and 3.5 inch in rear!

Last edited:

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Note that my pics above were at stock height. I need to update this thread with some pics soon. I'm waiting on my new tires and a real good cleaning.

Nice lookin' Golf...doesn't quite look like 4 inches up front but nice nonetheless. Are you aware of the lift kits available at www.metalnerd.com ? A much better riding and safer option than your airlift bags and the spacers you have which often result in spring failure (especially the metal ones).

vk_bigTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDi
HI!
I just sold my car GOLF one, Buyer are very happy with it!
Now I got 2004 Jetta PD!

Now will bw working on that one!

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Wow...haven't been very good at updating this thread I guess. Without going into all the details, I'll just put some pics up. Some details can be found in my sig, others in various threads/posts. Any questions - feel free to ask. Most should be pretty self-explanatory.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
New (used) 17" Take 5's with 215/55/17 General Grabber UHP's. Same 26.3" diameter as my 205/70/15 snow tires.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Most recent work:
5 speed swap
Dieselgeek short shifter
SBC Stage III clutch
PP520's balanced by Franko6
sent ECU off to Rocketchip for RC3
installed IDparts 2.5" downpipe with an 18" long straight through Magnaflow muffler in place of the cat (sounds good - not a whole lot louder than with the cat in place)
installed ABD Cup front bumper, then took it in for paint
installed Eurojet SMIC, 3 bar map and Turbo S vented fender liner
installed SRPracing.com pedals - used an automatic brake pedal on the clutch for more comfortable position
CAT filter
new thermostat
new rad fan switch
"Big Daddy" airhorns from www.stebelengineeredsounds.com
plus lots of other little things I can't remember right now

Last edited:

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D

Almost forgot, had to replace the EGT thermocouple as it has not worked for about 18 months. I thought it had just failed, but when I went to replace it - it was nowhere to be found. Broke off flush with the blockoff plate. My OCD kicked in and I couldn't just leave it in there - the turbo hadn't grenaded so it had to be in there. So I yanked the turbo, fought to get it apart and then enlisted the help of greengeeker who found this:

Turns out I tooefed the install job, bent the probe in the wrong spot and it was touching the manifold. Luckily the piece was long enough to where it had no chance of going into the turbo. Reinstalled the new probe the RIGHT way.

Thats all for now folks. Will try to get some more pics in the coming week or so after I get the car cleaned up and give it some much needed TLC. Interior and exterior detail, clay bar and wax. I also installed black leather seats awhile back that I haven't taken pics of yet.

Finally got the car back on the road today after the long project which was made even longer by the craziness of my life right now. It was well worth it though, the car is a rocket now. Night and day difference from before the swap.

And as an added bonus - I now have reverse gear. I had driven it for 5 months without reverse. :eek:

Last edited:

hpc

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 NB TDI, 2013 GLK 250 BlueTec
I had BugFormance install the Turbo S front clip on my 2002 NB-TDI GLS in 2006. What a HUGE! diff in appearance.

Like the pedals.

Noticed you still have a cassette unit. I had the same until a
month ago. Bought a OEM in-dash CD unit from www.originalcaraudio.com
in Burnsville, MN.

Works great! I no longer have to pull over in rest stops to change CD in
changer. And I waited all this time because the VW dealers told me
that the CD unit would not work in my '02.

Ceramic clearcoat is a must. Particuarly in sand/salt in winters.

Excellent work and looks great.

Cheers!

LDM

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
I had BugFormance install the Turbo S front clip on my 2002 NB-TDI GLS in 2006. What a HUGE! diff in appearance.

Like the pedals.

Noticed you still have a cassette unit. I had the same until a
month ago. Bought a OEM in-dash CD unit from www.originalcaraudio.com
in Burnsville, MN.

Works great! I no longer have to pull over in rest stops to change CD in
changer. And I waited all this time because the VW dealers told me
that the CD unit would not work in my '02.

Ceramic clearcoat is a must. Particuarly in sand/salt in winters.

Excellent work and looks great.

Cheers!

LDM
Are you talking about a 3M clear bra? I was considering doing that, need to call around for a few quotes but it would be nice to get it done before winter.

The Turbo S front clip looks great, I had a chance at a good deal on a new TS bumper and other parts at cost from Boraparts, but the expense was still too high for all the little pieces. ABDracingwerks had these on sale, which offset the shipping price - and I got a body shop to paint it for $250.

An in-dash CD player would be nice, but right now I think I'd rather put that money into an Ipod interface. Thanks for the link though, I may change my mind.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
My OCD kicked in and I couldn't just leave it in there
Maybe you need to get a different license plate number as it is a bit misleading :D.

How does the transmission shift? Synchros all ok? Give me a holler next time you're in town, I need a ride in this rocket.

Nice work BTW.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Some days I have a little ADD too...but mostly from lack of sleep. :eek:

Transmission shifts great, syncros feel good, everything seems dandy. 1st seems a little hard to find once in awhile, I stalled it once because I grabbed 3rd, and once or twice I hit 5th instead of 3rd. I suspect this is just because I need to get used to the short throws and light action with the DG short shifter. I'm used to driving tractors and farm trucks that have huge throws that need a firm push. The shifts on this thing can be done by fingertip. After a day or two it will be fine.

My biggest problem now is keeping my foot out of it until the clutch can bed in a little. The power is just awesome. I hit an on-ramp to Hwy 10 last night and was at 85 mph well before the end with very little effort. With the auto I would have needed it floored just to hit 60 by the end.

I'll definitely let you know when I'm headed out your way, I'm thinking next weekend is a possibility.

hpc

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 NB TDI, 2013 GLK 250 BlueTec
Ceramic clearcoat is a clear coat of paint which is composed of
ultra-small (nano-sized) ceramic particles which make the paint
coat extremely wear-resistant. Standard stuff on the high-buck
vehicles such as MB, some BMWs, Ferrari, etc.

I, too, had thought about the 3M clear bra, but you can see
the seams (or edges). So, decided against it.

I liked the petals so much I just ordered. The black was tempting, but
I had a vision of it wearing away after some use. So, went with the
'grid' version.

Bought some Mr. Clean Magic <whatever> pads and have to get
motivated enough to go rubbing that crap rubber junk off of the dash
and window trim pieces. Then, either get them painted or preferably
covered with something discrete - sorry, no 'loud' stuff in my car.

Man, your Massey is much bigger than my little Deere 3520. But, I'm not
pulling a massive disc harrow either. The pics with the Bug in front
are cool - well, to anyone who appreciates good farm equipment.

Fine job on the Bug. Like the Bernt gauge pod - the only one.

Cheers! About another month to snow where you're at.

LDM

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Just a few pics that I snapped earlier this week of the car finished and back on all fours. Need to look at/tweak a couple things but its running great. Still haven't really given it the beans just yet.