Here is a LIST of Available chips/boxes for 2.0 CR TDI – comments/experiences?

Greenone

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Any comments? seems the Unitronic and Upsolute give the highest increases, but for track use I would prefer "smooth", not just on/off power.
There are many chips out there, it appears most favor Malone, Upsolute chips, Unitronic.
People say Malone is a nice "smooth" tune; but it does not seem the most aggressive HP-wise.
It appears these numbers are software upgrades only, no hardware ie. Turbo
I apologize in advance for any errors. Some may not be available in the us.
If only one tune was listed, I linked it with "Stage 1"
From looking below, although a “box” is easier, a chip is probably better, especially if you want to upgrade components in future (turbo, injectors, exhaust). Some thread mentioned in Europe these engines minus the DPF were pushing 200+HP, but someone else thought the engine internals were different.
Stock numbers are for the 2.0 CR TDI engine: HP/Torque 140/236
Unitronic
Stage 1 175/295
Upsolute
Stage 1 177/291

MALONE
Stage 1 153/287 Stage 2 163/295 Stage 3 183(whp)/340 (384lb-ft crank)

Rocketchip
Stage 1 170/273 24 PSI
Wetterauer
Stage 1 170/295
Revotechnik
Stage 1 170/277
Neuspeed
Stage 1 170/275
optima-chiptunning
Stage 1 168/277

Superchips
Stage 1 168/269

V=tech power experts
Stage 1 "chip" 165 HP, "box" 170 HP
Diesel-tuning.com or parleysdieselperformance.com/
Stage1 “box” 168/205 – they list stock torque at 174, strange; their increase of 31 added to stock 236 would be 267

Chiptuning.eu
Stage 1 "box" plugs into common rail connector 190 HP
Tuningbox.com "box"
Stage 1 170/277
Mikrotuning
n/a no CR chip

TS Performance Adj. Chip module
50hp 100tq Over Stock / 2-4 MPG Gain / 5 Min. Install

APR
Available 9/2012 – no improvement

-----
*******UPDATE:
Sorry for the delay on this folks. We now have two years of data!

Initially went with the APR tune as they were the first to market for the 2012 VW TDI

APR has a lot of nice features, including stock tune and performance tune….. UNFORTUNATELY there was NO difference between stock and performance.

After a year of phone calls to APR and nothing further on their end….

MALONE TUNE Stage 2 (DPF intact), finally the car drives like it should with no sacrifice to economy (I did not see an improvement in economy either). I have put 10,000 miles since the tune including 6 track days with no ill effects

I have had several emails back and fourth with Mark at Malone tuning.
I can’t say enough good about him and his answering my geeky/esoteric questions.

The installers were also great Salisbury Motor Car.

I would not hesitate to use either again….

www.salisburymotorcar.com (in the North East)

www.malonetuning.com

Malone also now lists a stage 3 tune with turbo replacement (CR 170 turbo)
this thread also picks up at message #59

Last edited:

Charrigan

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
APR's flash is in the final stages of beta testing. Power figures are on par with Malone and Revo.

I was told by 2 employees they are aiming for a release this summer.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
An interesting list, however, I have one comment:

Horsepower and torque numbers vary a lot depending on the type and condition of the dynomometer used. Some brands of dyno put more load on the engine than others. Also, some dynos measure these numbers at the crank and others measure these numbers at the wheels. In other words most of the stage one (or two) numbers are actually very close to each other. The difference between Malone and Revo, for example (or any other pair), could easily be attributed to the fact that they were measured on different dynos. My Revo tune came in at 156.3 BHP and 302.9 Lb-ft or torque on a Mustang dyno. This is very different from what Revo claims (and what you posted), but I do not consider this to be an error, but rather just a difference in how the dyno measured it.

The difference between dynos can easily be bigger than the difference between tunes. The only really accurate way to compare tunes would be to test each tune on the same dyno, under the same conditions. This would not be an easy thing to do without getting a bunch of our cars together at the same place (perhaps at a TDIFest).

Here is some good info on comparing dynos: http://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...ction/26743-mustang-vs-dynojet-good-read.html

Have Fun!

Don

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
I have a Rocketchip stage 1 tune in my Golf and I'm very happy with it. The engine is a lot more responsive at low RPM. 2nd and 3rd pull much better from 2k right up to 4k. I tend to cruise at 2k RPM. Power response in 4th and 5th is also much better.

I would never consider a plug-in box for a CR, especially one that claims 190hp.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I would never consider a plug-in box for a CR, especially one that claims 190hp.
I have to agree with this statement. The best that a "tuning box" can do is to lie to the ECU about certain parameters (like fuel rail pressure or MAF readings, etc.). It does not have the same level of control that a real ECU tune has. A real tune can do a lot more and do it more safely.

Have Fun!

Don

boost4life

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
this for sure, Mustang dyno's are one of the lowest reading out there.
An interesting list, however, I have one comment:

Horsepower and torque numbers vary a lot depending on the type and condition of the dynomometer used. Some brands of dyno put more load on the engine than others. Also, some dynos measure these numbers at the crank and others measure these numbers at the wheels. In other words most of the stage one (or two) numbers are actually very close to each other. The difference between Malone and Revo, for example (or any other pair), could easily be attributed to the fact that they were measured on different dynos. My Revo tune came in at 156.3 BHP and 302.9 Lb-ft or torque on a Mustang dyno. This is very different from what Revo claims (and what you posted), but I do not consider this to be an error, but rather just a difference in how the dyno measured it.

The difference between dynos can easily be bigger than the difference between tunes. The only really accurate way to compare tunes would be to test each tune on the same dyno, under the same conditions. This would not be an easy thing to do without getting a bunch of our cars together at the same place (perhaps at a TDIFest).

Here is some good info on comparing dynos: http://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...ction/26743-mustang-vs-dynojet-good-read.html

Have Fun!

Don

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Can a tune box disable the LP-EGR, or only an ECU tune can do that?
I would be willing to wager that only a tune from a reputable tuner will be able to disable anything, let alone the LP-EGR.

A "tuning box" is an expensive set of potentiometers, nothing more.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
MayorDJQ said:
A "tuning box" is an expensive set of potentiometers, nothing more.
The better ones might be computer controlled potentiometers.:rolleyes:

Flyboy320 said:
Can a tune box disable the LP-EGR, or only an ECU tune can do that?
No. A tuning box cannot disable anything except maybe the sensor it is plugged into. All EGR is controlled by the ECU in CR engines.

Have Fun!

Don

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
All EGR is controlled by the ECU in CR engines.
And in the BRM, BRU, BEW, BHW, ALH, AHU, and just about every other modern VW engine--gas or Diesel.

@flyboy, Send me the $699 that you'd spend on a "tuning box" and I'll pay for a Stage 1 tune from Rocketchip or Malone, your choice. I'll even pay for the shipping.

johnnyv

TDI
2012 Golf
Had my 2012 Golf Revo chipped a couple weeks ago, no complaints. It has better response. My buddy tried to get his newer golf chipped but the revo program got stuck in reboot mode so he had to get it flashed back to OEM specs. Revo is working on it as far as i know. My golf is a manual, his is auto.

nickhinds

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI DSG
Just had my 2011 jetta chipped by Unitronic and just love it. I would say about 25% more than before. I had ut done on my 2005 passat tdi and loved it also. Never had any issues.
My 2 cents :)

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
I just dyno my Malone tune with dpf and egr delete and put down 195whp/385/wtq

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Storx, you haven't posted anything to back up your wild dyno numbers. No-one has gotten those numbers out of a CR with stock turbo. You also claim that is "uncorrected"... so what are the corrected numbers? Where are the graphs? What dyno was it on, etc?

country_agent

TDI
Looking for modded TDI
I emailed Kerma and his reply:

"Hi

Chip tuning $599

30 hp 50 ft lbs of torque

1 - 2 better mpg

Happy Easter

All the best
Paul"

Blinkinbanana

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Is Malone the only company that does dynamic idle and egr? Do any of these tuners reflash the ecu via diag port or do you have to mail out your ecu like Malone?

Personally, I'd like a flash via VAG port done. I don't want to be out a car for a week waiting for my ecu.

Charrigan

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
Is Malone the only company that does dynamic idle and egr? Do any of these tuners reflash the ecu via diag port or do you have to mail out your ecu like Malone?

Personally, I'd like a flash via VAG port done. I don't want to be out a car for a week waiting for my ecu.

On 2010 and up the ecu must be removed to unlock it and flash it. It cannot be done through the diag port.

Im in the same boat as you. I drive 80+ miles per day and cannot have my car down. I would love a tune from malone but the nearest dealer is 4 hours one way.

Your best bet is to find a dealer that has a flash local to you then you can have it done in a few hours.

There is a Revo Dealer is East Stroudsburg which isnt far from you, or there is a Unitronic dealer in New Tripoli.

Both can have your car flashed the same day. Both produce pretty similar power.

Last edited:

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
The cr don't have dynamic idle and egr available yet

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Im in the same boat as you. I drive 80+ miles per day and cannot have my car down. I would love a tune from malone but the nearest dealer is 4 hours one way.
Why not wait until Labor Day weekend and make the big trip to Ypsilanti for TDIFest? I'd be willing to bet that Malone and Rocketchip will be there.

Blinkinbanana

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
On 2010 and up the ecu must be removed to unlock it and flash it. It cannot be done through the diag port.

Your best bet is to find a dealer that has a flash local to you then you can have it done in a few hours.

There is a Revo Dealer is East Stroudsburg which isnt far from you, or there is a Unitronic dealer in New Tripoli.

Both can have your car flashed the same day. Both produce pretty similar power.
I'm more interested in dynamic egr and idle than I am in more power. Granted more hp is a plus I'm not going to argue with. I tend to drive 100mi Monday. Then Tuesday-Thursday 6-10mi a day, and on Friday another 100mi. So the dynamic idle really appealed to my short stop and go days. And for all my highway driving i like the lack of egr, but would want the egr for quicker warm ups.

I didn't realize there was a revo dealer in east stroudsbur, thanks I'll check out their software. I was looking at a Malone dealer an hour+ away that would pull my ecu ship it and then install it. I don't like the idea of mailing my ecu away.

The cr don't have dynamic idle and egr available yet
But, if dynamic egr and idle don't apply to my 2010 then I'll sit and wait.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
I'm more interested in dynamic egr and idle than I am in more power. Granted more hp is a plus I'm not going to argue with. I tend to drive 100mi Monday. Then Tuesday-Thursday 6-10mi a day, and on Friday another 100mi. So the dynamic idle really appealed to my short stop and go days. And for all my highway driving i like the lack of egr, but would want the egr for quicker warm ups.

I didn't realize there was a revo dealer in east stroudsbur, thanks I'll check out their software. I was looking at a Malone dealer an hour+ away that would pull my ecu ship it and then install it. I don't like the idea of mailing my ecu away.
I haven't noticed any increase in warmup time. For the short drives, I would invest in a Frostheater, rather than idle control.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Nowhere to plug in.
Not even at home? At my apartment, I snake a flat extension cord through the side door, plug in a regular extension cord, and keep it on a cord-reel when not in use.

If I couldn't plug in, I'd suffer with my 15 minute drive to work. The electric heater in the HVAC system helps get the cabin warm in a few minutes. Dynamic idle will suck down more fuel, and drop city MPGs even more.

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
You have to understand my tune is more aggressive then both stage 1 and 2.... I blow black smoke under acceleration and on startup... This tune isn't a tune for the kind heart cause I'm testing the reliability of the stock turbo under more aggressive settings and higher egt limits closer to the turbo's factory limits. I volunteered cause I drive 1100-1200 miles a week and would be able to get a decent mileage history in no time. Also I have an big turbo kit waiting to go in just waiting on some final peaches being cut from watercutter