passat 1996 1Z /no glow plugs

Mbro5

TDI
Passat 1997
I have no glow plug activation, unless I unplug the engine coolant temp sensor. Ohm readings on sensor appear normal[394 ohms at 190 degrees]. 4 pin harness connector terminal 1 to 3 = .89 ohms[OK?,less than 1.5]. but I have no resistance between any combination of terminals 1-2-4 of that 4 pin harness connector. Thanks: Stumped [ no blink codes]

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
If it's above 40*F, this is totally normal. The plugs aren't needed before starting. They should come on after you start though, until the engine is up to temp.

Are you having starting problems?

-J

Mbro5

TDI
Passat 1997
I have had the problem since May of 04 when I purchased it. The car starts great,but I parked it Dec.-Feb.last year because the glow plugs never lite, even below 20 degrees.I was hoping to drive it this winter. Thanks Mark

Mbro5

TDI
Passat 1997
No VAG-COM, but I checked sensor with ohm meter as engine warms up sensor matches the curve in the Bentley manual[1680 ohms at 68 degrees to 394 ohms at 190 degrees]

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Have you checked the Ohms of the glow plugs themselves? All should be about .7 or so.

How about the volts on the harness at the gps? Unplug the sensor, and check the volts at the plugs. Report results.

Mbro5

TDI
Passat 1997
all 4 glow plugs have .6 to.7 ohms. I have battery voltage at the glow plug harness. My problem is the system is not activating, [with the coolant sensor unplugged, the glow plug circuit works fine].I guess it's time to take it in. Thanks for your time. Mark

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
GP fuse or relay. I assume it's cold enough for them to come on. Your B4 should have the huge 50 amp "strip fuse" under the hood - I can't recall if it's the one on the firewall or driver's side wheelwell. Look and see if you can find something about 2" long, 1/2 " wide, under a plastic cover that's melted.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
The 50 amp fusable link and relay on the firewall is for the coolant glow plugs.

The engine glow plug relay 180 and 50 amp fuse are on the main fuse strip under the dash on the drivers side.

Mbro5

TDI
Passat 1997
update: I put in a frost plug heater yesterday & as long as I had the coolant out I pulled coolant temp sensor [G62] & left wires hooked up,& put it in a cup of ice water, my glow plugs ran for about 6 seconds. I guess I don't have a problem, but I sure would like the glow plugs to activate earlier. Will Vag com allow you to adjust the G62 ohm reading for glow plug activation.