PASSAT 2010 B6 wiper problem

tom_h

TDI
B6 SW 1.6 TDi 16V FAP BlueMotion 105 cv
Hello I'm new here....so I appologise if this is not the correct location for question about my 2010 VW Passat wiper motor....

I'm trying to fix a my front wipers which stopped working.

I took to a garage and they said it was the motor and said they could order and replace it.
The next they phoned and said actually they can't get the motor and I would have to contact VW.

So having had a diagnostic that the motor was shot, I found a second had one and replaced it......but no change.....still doesn't work

I'm now thinking that perhaps the garage didn't check properly and there is an electrical fault rather than a faulty motor (or else I have bought a broken motor)

Can anyone help with diagnostics?
I have checked the voltage to the connection at the motor and I have 12V (across the 2 larger diameter wires); This presumably means that the fuse is not blown.
I have this even when the key is not is the ignition, so I'm looking for guidance on what to do next, to locate the source of the problem.

Could someone talk me through what readings I should be getting at the connector on the wiper motor with the ignition on / off / wipers on etc

Is there are way to check that the 3rd smaller diameter (data) cable is providing the correct voltage? Is there another fuse for this cable?
Is there a way to check the motor?

Thanks in advance for any help
Tom

tom_h

TDI
B6 SW 1.6 TDi 16V FAP BlueMotion 105 cv
WIPER UPDATE: all working now - I was a bit stupid and was looking to see if the wipers worked with the hood still open!!!.

Scubanero

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
By way of explanation: When you turn the wipers off they keep going until they get to the park position, which is why you saw +12V even with the key off.