You know you're obsessed when....

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
You know you're obsessed when you track the years and miles you have been driving diesel vehicles.

Today (5/15/2018) marks my 16th anniversary of driving diesel cars. I first drove my 2002 Golf TDI off the dealer's lot on 5/15/2002. The Golf was my 2nd VW and my first diesel. After 16 years and over 800k miles of diesel car ownership, there is absolutely no way I'm ever going back to a gasser again if I can help it. All future vehicle purchases of mine shall only be DIESEL vehicles.

VW really screwed the pooch with the Dieselgate scandal. VW not returning with TDIs simply means I won't be returning as a customer. I'm a lot less brand loyal than I used to be. I welcome diesel vehicles from any and all manufacturers. I'm into BMW Advanced Diesel now. :cool: Owning only diesel vehicles has emerged as top priority. Absolutely no more gassers for me. :) Whatever I own and drive absolutely HAS to be diesel powered.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I bought my first diesel 40 years ago this month. 1978 Rabbit, brand new at Kendon VW in Torrance, CA. My first new car. Drove it for six years and then sold it at 130K miles because I didn't know better. Got a Peugeot 505 diesel a couple years later, and then IBW in '02. Gassers in between, but I'm all diesel at this time. I don't see buying a gasoline car, but electric may be in my future for local driving.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
For me it started in March 2000 when my wife and 11 year old daughter decided we HAD to have a New Beetle. For whatever reason my wife also decided it would be diesel. She grew up on a farm so diesels were not new to her. For me, the closest I'd ever been to a diesel was the few times I'd driven my uncle's or my father in law's tractors. In those 18 years, I put on about 325,000 diesel miles on three different cars. 2010 JSW replaced the beetle around 140k miles and it has a little over 130k miles on it now. The 2011 Golf was my wife's car that went back to VW with almost 50k miles on it. Should have kept that one and given VW back the wagen. Since Feb, there is now a 2017 Ram Ecodiesel in my driveway. It's sitting with just over 4000 miles on it today. The only gasser I still own is my youngest daughter's 2005 Corolla with just over 180k miles.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I forgot my first diesel was one of those crappy General Motors 350's in a station wagon I purchased off of a used car lot. It was an auto trans and one day it went into runaway mode and died shortly after. I was working 30 minutes from home and I thought it was a good cheap choice, even though it required two 12 volt batteries to start it. It was another one of those infamous $500.00 cars...

ketchneddy

TDI
2014 Golf , 2004 Jetta
my first diesel was an 84 rabbit. it was wonderful in every sense. i literally drove the wheels off of it. at just shy of 300k, the cv joints failed and i couldn't afford to fix it so i sold it for a song. 20ish yrs later...a sweet 300d, then a crd...then a sprinter...then a 2014 golf, then...well...you know how it goes. current tdi is a 2004 jetta wagon.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
There is an almost perfect 2002 Jetta sedan for sale with 314k miles on it and every repair receipt for years done at the same great shop. It does need the clear coat fixed on the hood and the top, but the inside of the car is pristine and everything works. They are asking $2000.00 for it. If I had the cash, I would jump on it myself. The car was a commuter and 98% of the mileage was freeways.

n1das

TDI
You know you're obsessed when you track the years and miles you have been driving diesel vehicles.
Today (5/15/2018) marks my 16th anniversary of driving diesel cars. I first drove my 2002 Golf TDI off the dealer's lot on 5/15/2002. The Golf was my 2nd VW and my first diesel. After 16 years and over 800k miles of diesel car ownership, there is absolutely no way I'm ever going back to a gasser again if I can help it. All future vehicle purchases of mine shall only be DIESEL vehicles.
VW really screwed the pooch with the Dieselgate scandal. VW not returning with TDIs simply means I won't be returning as a customer. I'm a lot less brand loyal than I used to be. I welcome diesel vehicles from any and all manufacturers. I'm into BMW Advanced Diesel now. :cool: Owning only diesel vehicles has emerged as top priority. Absolutely no more gassers for me. :) Whatever I own and drive absolutely HAS to be diesel powered.
You know you're obsessed when you keep track of the years and miles you've been driving diesel cars. To add to my earlier post, I'm at 16 years and over 900k miles of diesel car ownership.

• "Only" 361k miles in my 2002 Golf TDI. The car is still on the road today in the hands of the second owner with over 400k miles on the odometer.
  • 170k miles in my 05 PD Jetta Wagen TDI. Now owned by TDIclub guru mrchill.
  • 102k miles in my 2010 Jetta SportWagen TDI. Now owned by mrchill.
  • 25k miles in my 08 Ford F350 SuperDuty 6.4L PowerStroke Diesel truck. I miss that truck and now wish I had kept it. At the time it was hard to justify owning 3 vehicles when I'm the only driver of them. I'll probably have another one again someday.
  • 105k miles in my 2014 BMW 535d and climbing.
  • 140k miles in my 2012 X5 35d. The car was a CPO deal in 2014 at 52k miles. Now at only 192k miles and climbing.

Current total of 903k miles of diesel car ownership and climbing. :cool:

Total miles driven in my life to date (I'm 56) = 558k miles in gassers + 903k miles in diesels (since 2002) = 1461k miles = 1.461 million miles :cool:

When people ask me why I prefer to own a diesel car instead of a gasser, I can tell them it is based on 16 years and over 900k miles of diesel ownership experience. :cool:

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
You know you're obsessed when you keep track of the years and miles you've been driving diesel cars. To add to my earlier post, I'm at 16 years and over 900k miles of diesel car ownership.

The compulsive obsessive disorder is really nothing to brag about. It is in all reality a mental disease and can be treated so you will be ok. I have bought my diesel cars starting in 1970 with a 1967 MB 200D just because I wanted something that was different than the status quo. Nothing more nothing less and certainly not obsessed. :D

Last edited:

n1das

TDI

You know you're obsessed when you track the years and miles you've been owning and driving diesel vehicles.

Today marks 17 years and over 900k miles of diesel ownership. As I have said many times, I am absolutely NOT going back to a gasser again if I can help it, VW Dieselgate scandal be damned. The scandal has only strengthened my resolve to continue owning only DIESEL vehicles. I am becoming more of a truck guy too and my next diesel vehicle purchase will likely be a diesel pickup truck if there are no more diesel cars to choose from.

The diesel pickup truck market does not appear to be threatened at all. Diesel pickup truck drivers are our friends here. I wish I had kept the 08 Ford F-350 SuperDuty truck I had a few years ago with the 6.4L V8 PowerStroke Diesel. I love my BMW diesels and they are long term keepers but I miss the truck. It was too damn useful for those times when I really needed a truck. At the time it was hard to justify owning 3 vehicles when I am the only driver of them. I didn't think I would miss the truck as much as I do. I have no buyer's remorse for getting the truck but I am having seller's remorse for selling it. That means I probably will have another one again in the future.

Yes, I am obsessed. Guilty as charged. :)

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
You know you're obsessed when you track the years and miles you've been owning and driving diesel vehicles.

Today marks 17 years and over 900k miles of diesel ownership. As I have said many times, I am absolutely NOT going back to a gasser again if I can help it, VW Dieselgate scandal be damned. The scandal has only strengthened my resolve to continue owning only DIESEL vehicles. I am becoming more of a truck guy too and my next diesel vehicle purchase will likely be a diesel pickup truck if there are no more diesel cars to choose from.

The diesel pickup truck market does not appear to be threatened at all. Diesel pickup truck drivers are our friends here. I wish I had kept the 08 Ford F-350 SuperDuty truck I had a few years ago with the 6.4L V8 PowerStroke Diesel. I love my BMW diesels and they are long term keepers but I miss the truck. It was too damn useful for those times when I really needed a truck. At the time it was hard to justify owning 3 vehicles when I am the only driver of them. I didn't think I would miss the truck as much as I do. I have no buyer's remorse for getting the truck but I am having seller's remorse for selling it. That means I probably will have another one again in the future.

Yes, I am obsessed. Guilty as charged. :)
I like my Ram Ecodiesel better than my JSW. Well, except for spirited driving. hard to get much of a thrill pushing a truck into and out of the corners. I'm really interested in looking at the new Chevy 1500 diesel but won't trade the ram in for a similar vehicle. The new jeep gladiator is supposed to get the diesel next year. My wife's already thinking about the need for something larger since the first trailer we really liked is well over what the 6 cyl diesel will pull.