Power loss,LOUD turbo noise,heavy smoke

EAGLESVAN

TDI
2002 VW TDI
My 2002 TDI is now deadlined due to severe power loss. I was accelerating up a slight hill when I heard a loud Bang. I actually thought I hit something or something got caught under the car. Well the turbo noise got very very loud and I lost all but enough power to get off the roadway.

Some tests done since this show that up till 3000 RPM the turbo is silent and after 3000 RPM the turbo is very loud and kicks out excessive white smoke.

I just have the timing belt replaced about 500 miles ago and have a warning light on for a bad glow plug on #3

I looked at some of the LIMP MODE threads and none of them foucused on this type problem As my car is not drivable at all ..

Any clues for this newby ... be kind

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Well, who did the TB?

First check to see if ALL the hoses are attached EVERWHERE. But with the white smoke either your turbo blew and that is oil smoke ot the TB wasn't right and you bent/blew something possibly breaking the GP and injuring the injector.

First check the timing manually to make sure it all lines up. Including the cam. Then pull the turbo inlet and look in there with a mirror for damage.

Sounds bad because if a pipe blows off they blow black smoke.

jasonTDI

TDI
oh, DON"T drive or attempt to start the car until you do this. You could possibly cost yourself an engine.

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Variant TDI Black w/Gray
EAGLESVAN said:
My 2002 TDI is now deadlined due to severe power loss. I was accelerating up a slight hill when I heard a loud Bang. I actually thought I hit something or something got caught under the car. Well the turbo noise got very very loud and I lost all but enough power to get off the roadway.

Some tests done since this show that up till 3000 RPM the turbo is silent and after 3000 RPM the turbo is very loud and kicks out excessive white smoke.

I just have the timing belt replaced about 500 miles ago and have a warning light on for a bad glow plug on #3

I looked at some of the LIMP MODE threads and none of them foucused on this type problem As my car is not drivable at all ..

Any clues for this newby ... be kind
Your description sounds exactly like that of a blown turbo. I'd say that's all it is except that the TB was recently changed. I generally don't believe in coincidences so I'd be suspicous

EAGLESVAN

TDI
2002 VW TDI
Thanks for the quick response.It is currently at my friends garage and I am trying to avoid taking it to the dealer. My warranty ran out TWO days and 5,000 miles ago .. so Im screwed on that. We will check the turbo and intake tomorrow. The turbo still spins and makes alot of turbo noise but obviously something is not right..

jasonTDI

TDI
The dealers TB warranty is 12/12.

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
did you pop a hose off the turbo? or the intercooler to the intake?

bugablue

Veteran Member
TDI
98 beetle
Check the ducting from the turbo to the intake. I am sure you blew off a hose. If you can hear the turbo, obviously its still working, but just think of how loud it would be if all the air is being evacuated right on the other side of the firewall. I know the sound and I know the result and the way you described is the exact thing my car did when my lower intercooler hose blew off.