Buying a used TDI FAQ -- please add

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Matt Miks (UserID MiksTDI ) is in Kenosha, WI... send him a PM and perhaps he can take a look at the car for you.

Good luck,

Yuri.

BDison

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
Another thing to look out for is a leaking heater core. I have a 2000 Jetta TDI with this problem. Test by driving the car around and warming it up, then put heater control in the full cold position,the fan speed at around level 2, and the vent control turned to where the air is coming from the upper vents (blowing from center vent, blowing in your face), and note any smell coming from the vent. Do the same but this time but put the heater control in the full hot position and note any odor coming from the vents. If you notice a funny smell (coolant) coming from the vents in ONLY the full hot position...it more than likely has a leaking heater core. It is a major job to do and costly too, cost to have the dealer replace the heater core is roughly $1100. An ind. shop might do it for around $800. Most of this cost will be labor. VWOA MIGHT do a goodwill replacement on it, but good luck on that one because as with me they wouldnt help me out at all. If the VW you are thinking about buying has this problem, pass it up.

Last edited:

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
As for bent or damaged license plates, be advised there are some states where the plates stay with the vehicle and others where the plates stay with the owner. In addition, the plates may have been replaced as the result of the owner moving, or a periodic licence plate replacement program in the state of issue.

For instance, in Minnesota the plates stay with the vehicle and are replaced every 7-8 years, while in Wisconsin, the plates remain with the owner. Check with the DMV of the state where the vehicle is registered and your home state's DMV for more information.

Therefore, in some situations, the condition of the license plates may not be a good indicator of accident damage.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
In California,the plates stay with the car- forever. I have the originals on my 67 bug - not pretty, but only 3 letters and 3 numbers!

Normando

TDI
Spice Red Jetta Wagon GLS TDI TIPTRONIC
What the maintenance history should look like.

Maintenance history is important. I was a VW machanic in the mid 1990's. Other than salt killing off our cars I would focus on bringing in the TDI to a machanic for 50 to 100 $ and looking it over. Away from the power train (the sound of a warm engine and a five min test drive is all I need to give advice) A TDI is just another car so get the brakes, suspension and exhaust looked at. I look for the original parts like the tie rod or somthing, give it a good pull and you will see how the car was driven in the past and if you need some steering components. In most cases a 180 000 miles engine will be in O.K shape for the next 50 000miles, even if the engine has been really neglected. It is the rest or the components that usually rack up the bills.

I live in Canada and SALT is my biggest problem. I take care of my Jetta's and wash them every month or so but the salt is just killing them off. The rust around doors and trunks looks bad after around 7 to 9 winters in Canada so this make the car look like garbage.

I purchased a 1986 GOLF GTI rusted out in 1993 and drove it from around 125 K miles to 200 K miles nothing ever broke, brake pads, fluid changes and a clutch that it. I sold the car for 450$ Canadian less than I bought it for. I got it for 3200$ CND in 1993 it was a steal. So even old Diesel's can hold there value up to 10 or 12 years. The car may have been an 1985 I can't remember that far back....

Last edited:

BoogieDown

I'm new to VWs and looking to buy a faily new(02-04) TDI. I found one at Carmax. Problem is they don't keep the maint. records from the previous owner, how can I tell if the proper oil has been used?
Its an '03 jetta GLS 5spd w/47kmilse mint condition their asking $17,147 before tax,tag,title. Also its in Jacksonville so if I wanted a test drive and didn't like it for what ever reason I'd eat the $150 transfer fee.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
FYI, to my knowledge the AHU engine never appeared in the NA spec B4 Passat. They were all 1Z. AHU engines appeared in the 1998-1999 A3 Jetta. :)

TDI Aztec

I guess I shoulda read this before buying. I'm happy so far but I need an '05 Passat Wagon owner's manual. Where can I buy one? Dealer only? Thanks.

MarcSays

TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI
robertohess said:
Hi,

I am a newbie to this forum and have the following questions:

1. As a California resident, is it legal for me to buy a used diesel TDI Golf out of state (say, in Nevada) and register it in CA? Even it is legal, are there any other issues I should be aware of?

2. Does anyone know a car dealer in the LA area that specializes in diesel-powered VWs? I once found a guy somewhere in the southern part of the city, but can no longer track him down.

My basic problem, as you might have guessed, is simply finding a Golf TDI (manual) in my area.

Thanks
I just bought 2 04 Jetta's GLS TDI and drove them back from Miami. Selling one of them or both, if the price is right. Not a problem in registering them.

coloradowingsboy

TDI
'02 Jetta GLS TDI
Great info - thanx!!!

I've owned a couple TDIs in years past, but the most recent one was a '98 Jetta so my knowledge is a bit out-dated.

A couple questions...

1. Can pre-2004 TDIs be upgraded w/the new injector pump (rather than the old rotary pump) to bump up their horsepower? Or is that cost prohibitive or just plain impossible???

2. Given that the Passat is a bigger, heavier car than the Jetta/Golf, does it's performance suffer as a result? One of the most endearing qualities of the VW TDIs is the fun-to-drive, "tossable" nature they exhibit due, largely, to the high torque.

3. I am in the market to buy a used TDI. Judging by the used car classifieds, the Jettas seem to be very common, Golfs somewhat less so, and Passats extremely rare. Can anyone recommend a good source for good, reliable, used TDIs? I live on Colorado's Front Range.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
coloradowingsboy said:
1. Can pre-2004 TDIs be upgraded w/the new injector pump (rather than the old rotary pump) to bump up their horsepower? Or is that cost prohibitive or just plain impossible???
You'll find that the rotary pump is preferred by many here, as it doesn't require special 505.01 oil, and it is better for biodiesel use. ;)

However, to add the PD system to a car with the rotary pump... you'd have to do the radiator cap mod. Take the radiator cap off, remove the engine, put a PD engine in, and put the radiator cap on. Nothing's impossible, but this is totally pointless, when you can just buy a car with it. ;)

coloradowingsboy said:
2. Given that the Passat is a bigger, heavier car than the Jetta/Golf, does it's performance suffer as a result? One of the most endearing qualities of the VW TDIs is the fun-to-drive, "tossable" nature they exhibit due, largely, to the high torque.
The 2004 and 2005 Passat has a larger engine that has 134 hp instead of the 100 of the PD engine in the Jetta and Golf. ;) In other words, it may be heavier, but it's also more powerful to make up for it. I've never driven one, though.

coloradowingsboy

TDI
'02 Jetta GLS TDI
"Radiator Cap Mod", eh?

ROFL!!!! That made my day - I'll remember that one!

Thanx for the good info. With any luck, I'll be buying one within the next month or so. Still need to sell my wife on the whole diesel idea. Sadly, she's one of the unwashed masses who still thinks that diesels are limited to 18-wheelers and Dodge pick-up trucks. :eek:

I aim to change that little misconception soon, though! :rolleyes: Putting $45 worth of petrol in my gas-guzzling Jeep Cherokee every four days is getting really, really old. I'm sure I can make her see the light!

slayer

TDI
about to buy one
Smoke from Oil fill after driving....worn piston rings????

HI Guys,
Just new to this forum, and trying to find a GT Tdi 130 at the moment.
I've driven a few and they have all had smoke come from the oil fill after driving.I was told this means worns piston rings and will cost a ball of money to fix. I've read all the faq section and guide to buying tdi's, excellent reading and thanks to the guys who dd it. The cars were all up around the 80,000 miles mark. Just wondering if anyone could help me with any info they may have.
thanx

slayer
:cool:

certifiedwreckedvwtdi

TDI
2005 Jetta (341,+++ miles)
2005 certified wrecked vw jetta tdi

Don't think just because your buying from a VW dealer that they are on the up and up with customers about the cars they certify.
I asked them if the car had been wrecked, they say no. They tell me the 2005's didn't come with Jetta or TDI on trunk.
Check the car out more than I did!
Make sure you get all keys!

Last edited:

TeachGreen

Selling above Kelley Blue Book

Hello, I am new to the site and have joined because I am very serious about buying a tdi in order to run it on biodiesel. I have found a 2003 VW tdi with 71,000 miles that is listed for $17,500. This price is >$4,000 over the Kelley Blue Book for this model in excellent condition. Is this usual?
I'm in Santa Barbara, CA.

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Auto Sedan
Teachgreen, the premium is because you're in California. Find a better price online, buy a one way plane ticket and take a day trip. I know someone who flew to NC from CA to buy an almost new New Beetle.

Liko

TDI
None, so far!
Golf, Jetta or Passat?

Hello, I'm looking for a TDI and am trying to decide what to really put effort into finding: Golf, Jetta, or Passat. I would be fine with driving any of them and don't really need more power or space... I do wonder if, in general, if one of these is easier/cheaper to maintain or service than the others. Or are Passats more expensive to fix or get parts for? Any advice would be welcome.

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Auto Sedan
The Passat's parts shouldn't cost significantly more. Its a heavier car and gets worse mileage though. Also, since most of the people here drive Golfs and Jettas (variants of the same car) most mods are for the Golfs and Jettas. Finding Passat specific information won't be as easy.

gasnazi

TDI
looking for Jetta
treedweller said:
I just came from having a mechanic check out a used 02 beetle and in addition to the above he:

disconnected hose from EGR valve and wiped out black crud with rag. He said this one wasn't bad, but that they can very quickly become clogged with baked-on crud. This is worse, he said, with non-synthetic oil, so it can help verify that proper oil was used. If caught early, cleaning it out can be enough, but in some cases the part must be replaced (at about $225 + install, I think he said).

Removed plastic cover over engine to inspect underneath.

Ran car with hood up (with and without AC) to listen to it.

Drove car on surface streets and freeway, checking performance and listening for odd sounds (such as from bad wheel bearing).

Checked under front of car for damage to plastic shield there (right next to intercooler, which he pointed out as a potential problem someday because the bug is so low). He recommended an aluminum replacement cover from www.dieselgeek.com

Warned me (in Texas) against a black car because they get hot enough to damage some plastic and rubber components of lights, etc.

warned me about ease of breaking plastic (such as when replacing headlight) in cold weather.

Looked into crankcase from above with a flashlight. This one was very clean and thus it was a bonus bit of info, but I don't know how long before one should expect it to take befor it would look grimy there.

A lot of this applies to any car, of course, so maybe it doesn't fit the thread, but overall I was impressed that he really checked things out. After I'd spent two days really looking things over, I still learned a lot by watching him. Also saved me a little time getting oriented to the car (which wife is buying now) since he pointed out all the main parts and a few common pitfalls as we were going along. I felt lucky to be allowed in the shop with him while he was working.

Anyway, just my observations of his inspection. Take it with a grain of salt as I'm not an expert mechanic and I've never owned a VW before.

Keith
If you don't mind me asking: how much did he charge to inspect your car? I'm asking because I'm thinking of buying a priviet sale 2002 Jetta and I was thinking about haveing someone look at it before I buy it.
Thanks

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Liko said:
Hello, I'm looking for a TDI and am trying to decide what to really put effort into finding: Golf, Jetta, or Passat. I would be fine with driving any of them and don't really need more power or space... I do wonder if, in general, if one of these is easier/cheaper to maintain or service than the others. Or are Passats more expensive to fix or get parts for? Any advice would be welcome.
The Golf and Jetta TDI are more common than the Passat TDI, so there may be more owners, or mechanics who have dealt with them. The b5 Passat TDI was also available only with an automatic transmission; the non-DSG automatic transmissions tended to take a large penalty in fuel economy compared to manuals.

Note that the Beetle TDI shares the platform and engine as the a4 platform Golf and Jetta TDI, so that further expands the number of owners who may be have common maintenance needs with the Golf and Jetta TDI.

Liko

TDI
None, so far!
Re: Golf, Jetta, or Passat?

tjl said:
The Golf and Jetta TDI are more common than the Passat TDI, so there may be more owners, or mechanics who have dealt with them. The b5 Passat TDI was also available only with an automatic transmission; the non-DSG automatic transmissions tended to take a large penalty in fuel economy compared to manuals.

Note that the Beetle TDI shares the platform and engine as the a4 platform Golf and Jetta TDI, so that further expands the number of owners who may be have common maintenance needs with the Golf and Jetta TDI.
Thanks, tjl and Fortuna Wolf for the replies. You've confirmed what I've been thinking and my preference is a Jetta or Golf. Yesterday I stopped at a dealership to see an 05 Golf TDI (with no fancy upgrades really) and he wanted $1K less than what my local VW dealer is asking for a new (06) Jetta TDI with pretty much the same features! I'll be on the lookout and will check some of the other threads for ideas on where/what to buy... Thanks all.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Tools to check a car.

What tools do you think would be needed to do a decent once over if looking at a used car with TDI power and what would they be used for?

The ones I can think of:

VAG-COM --- to scan the car for codes and check timing if time allows, also to check the MAF, again if time allows.

Flat blade screw driver --- to pull the intake tube off of the intake and take a peek if the clamp has been changed.

Water pump pliers or hose clamp squeezers --- to pull the intake tube off of the intake and take a peek if the clamp is original.

Small flash light --- For peeking at everything.

10 MM deep socket with ratchet --- to pull the engine cover.

Small inspection mirror --- To get a better look at things like the intake manifold and the brake pads.

Small ruler --- to measure tire tread depth.

Sheesh, that's a short list. Since I haven't spent much time in/under/around the pre-2004 cars, could someone add to this list. I'm sure there are lots of small tools that could be taken on an inspection.

Last edited by a moderator:

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
whitedog said:
What tools do you think would be needed to do a decent once over if looking at a used car with TDI power and what would they be used for?

The ones I can think of:

VAG-COM --- to scan the car for codes and check timing if time allows, also to check the MAF, again if time allows.
If not available, a loaner generic scan tool from AutoZone may at least get the codes from a check engine light. A check engine light can be used as leverage on the price, but knowing whether it is likely to be a serious / expensive problem or a cheap problem is certainly helpful.

Small narrow ruler can be useful to measure tire tread wear (for whether it is even on each tire and across all tires) and brake pad thickness. Though the latter may require removing a wheel.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Maybe a small mirror on a stick like this:

It can be used to get a better look in the intake and maybe even to get a better look at the brake pads.