Golf TDI Power loss

joshua1976

TDI
Golf Mk5 TDi
Hi all,
I've recently bought a mk4 2001 golf TDI, I've noticed theres a real power loss at around 2500/3000 revs. The car drives ok around town but on the motorway its really noticeable.
I've tried disconnecting the MAF, when i do this i lose the initial power i've got in those revs upto 2500/3000 but beyond that the performance is just the same. Could it still be the MAF or is it likely to be more serious.
Thanx in advance for any help/advice.
Jay

Rustynuts

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Jetta 2.0ltr Sport TDI
How many miles / kilometres has it done. If it's up to 50k or so. it could be the intake blocked, unless it's been cleaned already. Here's a link to how to clean it. Here's another, look at "Intake manifold cleaning 101". See if these help.

Welcome aboard.

Regards.

Rusty.

joshua1976

TDI
Golf Mk5 TDi
Its actually done 88000 miles, fairly high for its age, but should still have plenty of life left in it.
Occasionaly the car does seem to get the power back that it should have but only for a brief second, then it just goes.
jay

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
It's still possible that you have a bad MAF. You want to check the air path... from the snow screen and air filter to the intake manifold. Also, you should confirm that the VNT rod on the turbo is working. Try moving it by hand (not easy), or have someone use Vag-Com to test it. Could be a sticky rod or a bad N75 valve.

JettaTDI777

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold It
I had the same symptoms on my 01 jetta tdi took it to the dealer and they replaced it. There is a service bulletin for the mk4 body style i believe.

joshua1976

TDI
Golf Mk5 TDi
Thanx everyone for your advice, it has been much appreciated. I have just fitted a new MAF sensor, got an exchange from vw 75+vat, the car now drives loads better, no loss of power at 2500revs.
Thanx again,
Jay