New Member with a 98 Red NB TDI

CrustyOreo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door 6MT
Picked her up off Craigslist for dirt cheap
Needed a clutch and some love. Previous owner did nothing but drive it. He put almost 250k of the 260k it has on it!.
Got all the parts from work (I don't know if you guys have heard of us, idparts.com? ;);))

There she is after I picked her up

During clutch install.

I put 4 new calipers on it as well as countless other stuff. But today I finally put my new wheels and racks on it :)

In a few weeks she gets some new brakes

And I hope to find some new seats (GTI/VR6 leathers) in short order.
Hope you like :)

CrustyOreo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door 6MT
Lots of updates. Did wheel bearings twice on one side, once on the other
EGR delete, SBC Stage 2 clutch, RC3+ (thanks Jeff!), PP520, 2.5 inch down pipe w/ cat and straight pipes and some other stuff :D
I may have broken my dogbone though! She's so much to rip around back roads.

rackaracka

Veteran Member
Nice car! Do you have ABS? Do you have a hydraulic hood strut? My 98 has neither. It's amazing how these 14 year old cars hold up over time.

CrustyOreo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door 6MT
Nice car! Do you have ABS? Do you have a hydraulic hood strut? My 98 has neither. It's amazing how these 14 year old cars hold up over time.
I'm slowly finding out that the 98 Beetle is the black sheep of the TDI family.

No hood strut, no abs, different mirror switch/d-pad, no front side markers, no temp read out with the clock, no backseat interior lighting.

CrustyOreo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door 6MT
Had an awful shudder in reverse; pulled the belly pan thinking I busted a dogbone and found 4 of 7 engine to trans bolts sitting in the belly pan!
:confused::eek::eek::eek::eek:

CrustyOreo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door 6MT

Shortly after that pic was taken it decided to grenade a left front CV shaft.

DO NOT BUY CHEAP CHINESE CV SHAFTS. It didn't even last 7k miles!
I didn't believe what everyone said about how they were sub par but now I have first hand experience.
The inner joint sheered right off and I Was stranded in a parking lot til 2am replacing the shaft; member Chill was kind enough to sell me an OEM CV Shaft at 10pm to get me going.
I removed the shaft and all the balls and the little "cage" fell right out with a piece missing :eek:

rackaracka

Veteran Member
I tried those and took them off because the gas pedal fit poorly and slid up and down and the brake pedal had a rubber piece that stuck back and would hit my foot coming off of the gas. I still have the dead pedal installed, but have the pedals in a box.

CrustyOreo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door 6MT
Really? Mine had no issues. The accelerator pedal (get it, they don't have "gas" pedals ;)) was a pain to install but I've had no issues.
They aren't Audi TT pedals per sa. They are listed as Accessories under the VW Beetle catalogs :dunno

Out of curiousity; why are you only on a RC3 tune with an 11m pump and a VNT17? Seems conservative, no?

rackaracka

Veteran Member
Mine were the Audi TT pedals, which explains the problem! Thanks!

Yes, the RC3 is probably conservative, although I don't want to break anything... I bought the ECU pre-chipped with the switchable RC2/RC3 tune.

wort

TDI
98 VW Beetle
Good to see another 98,

I agree on the black sheep, or red headed stepchild. And you might as well not even have a light in the car with the output of the mirror light.

Fortunately i just figured out how to take the soft touch paint off the plastic, (isopropyl alcohol) unfortunately i had already sanded the passenger side by the window. Oh well time for the buffer( as a note, little old ladies and a car full of little dogs with sharp nails reek havoc on the crappy plastic paint that vw used)

Slowly customizing and upgrading as parts break or wear out.

Nice Wheels BTW.

CrustyOreo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door 6MT
Some updates, managed to demolish a deer with the front end.

Yes, that is a Teddy Bear in my headlight. I had to come up with some way to protect the HID wiring I did while I find another HID housing.

I've replaced the hood already.

More recently I put an Audi TT steering wheel in it which is great improvement!