swoosh swoosh = timing belt, alternator, water pump?

alex_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI GLS, 2001, Blue
Hi,

I last replaced my water pump and alternator about 7 years ago.

January 2006 @ 64k = timing belt (100k version) / water pump (plastic) / serpentine belt
February 2010 @ 118K miles = water pump (metal) due to plastic pump failure
October 2010 @ 126k = alternator (Bosch)
March 2011 @ 131k = timing belt (100k)
January 2018 @ 180K = serpentine belt (Continental)
February 2018 @ 181k = idler pulley (serpentine belt side)
September 2018 @ 184k = current mileage

I started noticing a swoosh swoosh sound on cold morning starts recently.

The timing belt alooks good to me, but the sound makes me a little nervous.

Here are the videos with the engine running:

https://youtu.be/xfyWctx9LYw

https://youtu.be/9YSpvPayc5U

The water pump and alternator has about 60K and 8 years on them. The timing belt/tensioner/pulley has about 50K and should last 100k.

I checked the alternator and it spins smoothly. Found out it was a solid pulley. I replaced the idler pulley too but the old one spun smoothly and the sound didn't change.

I don't want to start throwing parts at it willy nilly, so what do you guys recommend I do?

Thanks.

Alex

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Hmmm alh timing belt, 100,000 miles or 5 years 7 at most. Sounds to me like you’re over due.

I just reread your post also, why does the water pump have 60k and the belt have 50k? The water pump, rollers, tensioner and stretch bolts should all have been done together.

Last edited:

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
I can't tell where the wooshing is coming from, but I agree with Tdijarhead.
Your best move is have the timing belt and serp belt replaced along with all the rollers/idlers water pump, etc. That's all done during a normal TB replacement.
Check
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=130044
for a mechanic.
Also, not sure but it looks like there's some play in the fuel pump sprocket. Even if it's something simple like the serp belt tensioner wheel, you should really have her re-done.
At least have a Trusted mechanic look at it.
EDIT: Just re-read your service list. Not replacing the TB and water pump together is not recommended. All that poop should be done at once.

Last edited:

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
As I said in the other thread, touch the SIDE of the belt when the swooshing sound is being made with a candle or other wax thing (e.g. zipper wax works too.) If the sound STOPS or changes you have something in the timing belt system that is causing the belt to run slightly cockeyed on the pulleys -- and that is bad news.

The usual culprits are the water pump or tensioner bearings, although it could be one of the rollers as well. In any event if you have a failure in there you're buying a cylinder head, so.... yeah. It sounds like you're due for timing belt replacement anyway, but if you want to make sure it's not in the serpentine path remove that belt temporarily and see if you still get the sound.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
It is almost-certainly not the tensioner, but removing the belt is a good idea since it COULD be one of the pulley items in the serpentine path (e.g. power steering bearing going bad.)

The "swoosh" sound comes from the side of the belt in question intermittently "skidding" on the edge of one of the pulleys; it makes the noise each time that deformed piece of the belt gets to the pulley in question. It indicates that the belt has stretched or deformed unevenly and that comes from either a defect in the belt itself or misalignment somewhere in the path. The reason it stops when the car warms up is that the edge of the belt gets hot from that friction and the edge slightly melts and conforms -- which is double-plus un-good, and then when the car is off for a while it cools back down and starts making noise again. If you hit the edge with a dry (and safe) lubricant like wax and it stops you have a positive ID on what's going on (but not which pulley or item is causing it)

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
From what I could hear, it sounded similar to my decoupler crapped out on me. Are you certain it's a solid pulley and not a failing decoupler

Happened after it sat for a few months

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

alex_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI GLS, 2001, Blue
@Genesis -- yes, I will try the candle trick. I just need to find a candle. I didn't want to hijack the other thread, so I started this one.

@grattanboy -- so I can just take off the serpentine belt and start the engine? That won't harm anything?

Last edited:

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
@Genesis -- yes, I will try the candle trick. I just need to find a candle. I didn't want to hijack the other thread, so I started this one.

@grattanboy -- so I can just take off the serpentine belt and start the engine? That won't harm anything?
It won't hurt anything, just won't have AC, power steering or charging, you'll see the battery light but won't hurt anything

alex_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI GLS, 2001, Blue
So I took off the serpentine belt and started the engine, no sound!
I rotated all the pulley and rollers and they all spin pretty smoothly without sound.
I did notice some gunk stuck in the grooves of the alternator pulley. Picked it out. It was tiny, about the size of two gains of sand.
Put the belt back on and no more sound!
However, this morning it was colder and the same sound is back but much much less perceivable. So I think I will just change the alternator pulley since it's either a solid one or a clutched one that's gone bad.
Thanks for all your help!

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Could the gunk stuck in the grooves be belt coming apart?
I would brush/clean the grooves all the way around and try a new belt, if the pulley feels good
alternator has about 60K and 8 years/
Alternator should last >100k IME
The belt itself is cheaper, unless you're 100% sure it's not been deformed maybe start there.

Last edited:

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
So I took off the serpentine belt and started the engine, no sound!
I rotated all the pulley and rollers and they all spin pretty smoothly without sound.
I did notice some gunk stuck in the grooves of the alternator pulley. Picked it out. It was tiny, about the size of two gains of sand.
Put the belt back on and no more sound!
However, this morning it was colder and the same sound is back but much much less perceivable. So I think I will just change the alternator pulley since it's either a solid one or a clutched one that's gone bad.
Thanks for all your help!
You could try spraying some pb blaster in the decoupler and see if it stops making noise, either way it seems like it needs to be replaced... especially if you can't get it to free spin a little while holding it and rocking it back and forth. If it's in the car when you check it, don't smash a finger like I did...that sucked

alex_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI GLS, 2001, Blue
@stdoubt -- I think it's from the old belt which I replaced 4k miles in January. The new Continental belt still looks good. I will clean it a bit more with a wire brush or something this time.

@wildchild 80 -- When I last tested the pulley, I stuck in a screw driver into the alternator so the coolin fins won't move. I then tried to turn it both ways. It didn't move both ways. With the screw driver removed, it spins quite smoothly.

Good idea on the PB blaster on the decoupler (I'm assuming that's aka pulley). I will try and report back.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
@wildchild 80 -- When I last tested the pulley, I stuck in a screw driver into the alternator so the coolin fins won't move. I then tried to turn it both ways. It didn't move both ways. With the screw driver removed, it spins quite smoothly.
The pulley should move in one direction and not the other. So your pulley needs replacing.

And that still leaves you with a 50k mile 7 YEAR old timing belt. As i mentioned earlier, though you are well within the 100k mile limit, 7 years is about the time limit on these belts.

Edit: I just saw your other thread where you’re planning on doing the belt.

Last edited:

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
The bearings and one-way mechanism in the pulley are supposed to be sealed. If PB Blaster helps then the seal is obviously no longer a seal and the pulley requires immediate replacement anyway.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
The bearings and one-way mechanism in the pulley are supposed to be sealed. If PB Blaster helps then the seal is obviously no longer a seal and the pulley requires immediate replacement anyway.
Assuming it's not a solid pulley. Is there a solid pulley that would screw onto the shaft that takes the decoupler? I've only ever messed with alternators with decouplers in VW flavor

vandermic07

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf 5 spd, 03 Jetta Wagon
I had the same sound/problem on mine a few years ago.mine eventually was making noise all the time. I ruled out the timing belt line by removing the serp belt and the noise went away. Turned out that it was the alternator bearings. I found that out after i replaced every other pulley and decoupler in the serp belt line. I replace the alternator and the noise went away.

alex_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI GLS, 2001, Blue
Darn it! So the sound is back. Same loudness as before. Maybe it's because it was cold last night, down to the low 60s.

So I popped the hood and tried to look at the pulley. First thing I noticed is that there is no cover that the clutched pulley should have. I do remember reading somewhere that solid pulleys don't have coves and is mounted with a nut.

So I then put my finger in the cavity (couldn't see it from above) to try to feel the 33 point serrated edge. Nothing. I did feel something like a nut. I'll have to jack the car up this weekend or use a mirror to get a closer look.

If it is a solid pulley, can I replace it with a clutched pulley? Or is it just the alternator bearings going out and I should start looking for an alternator. It's been 8 years but less than 60K miles since it was replaced.

@ToxicDoc -- I have the Continental belt. What brand belt gave you the noise?

Last edited:

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
I like continental belts, I use them for timing belts and aux drive belts

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
It shouldn't be a solid pulley. If it is the bearings locked up. That is hard on the crank and tensioner of it is solid.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk