Winter Power Service Minimum

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
I just read a review of anti gel additives that said the Power Service white bottle winter formula only works to the mid 30s F.

Is this accurate?

otm646

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 AHU Jetta.
This is the link you want
http://powerservice.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/dfs-bulletin.pdf

At 1:400 PS say it drops the pour point to -70F

"16-OUNCE (PART NO. 1016)
At temperatures above 0°F., add entire contents (16 ounces) to 40 gallons of diesel fuel. When temperatures drop below 0°F. or when using biodiesel blends, add entire contents (16 ounces) to 20 gallons of diesel fuel."

Could you link to the review? Did they do any laboratory testing?

Anecdotally I've used ~8 oz in my Mk3 down to -15F and never had a problem.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Heck, there is a dude on the Facebook TDI group saying to NEVER use power service in a CR because it contain alcohol and will grenade your HPFP.

Advice on the internet, worth exactly what you pay for it.

dandywriter

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon 6M
I've used 4 oz PS White to 10 us gals of fuel down to -40F (or -40C if you prefer) and not had gelling. I start in September and end in April; early to get rid of any water that may have got in during the humid months.

I assume that stations blend in anti-clouding agents according to upcoming expected temperature (or by month).

I also carry a small bottle of Power Service Diesel 9-1-1 (red bottle) in case a station doesn't adequately treat their fuel. I have never had to use it for me, but have for a RAM 1500 EcoDiesel I came across at -35C. Half in the fuel filter, half in the tank, and they were back on the road...

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
Yeah, it was bad info. Power Service told me that different size containers have different concentrations. For the 80 oz. jug I need 10 oz for temps under zero.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Unlike prescription products additive overdosing isn't harmful. PS white bottle formula doesn't contain alcohol but has lubricity additives and cetane boosters. Extra is better than not enough...
The 911 red bottle product is emergency thaw product which probably may contain alcohol. Use only when absolutely necessary-perhaps never in a CR.

Last edited: