02 alh won't keep running

JoeTDI65

TDI
2002 Golf
So it got cold here, went to start the alh one morning. cranked won't start. Tried it enough times killed the battery. Remembered i hadn't changed the fuel filter in more than 20k miles. put the filter in, filled it with diesel replaced the o rings on T fitting. Might have had a little bit of air in the system. Cracked all the injectors open to purge air when cranking. I've done it a few times now, still won't run. Acts like its going to run for 1 second then dies. I feel like its not getting fuel. IP is not leaking and it definitely is pumping to the injectors. I guess where i'm at is testing the flow from the tank to the filter. How often can the sending unit get clogged? Just wondering if that is what it is?

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I want to say temperature sensor, however, last time I threw that out it ended up being the crank sensor. So you should check the rpm on g28 and verify temp as well.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
2X on the ASV.
Mine fluttered a bit then cranked slightly faster.

I cleaned the inlet area of mine with a shop rag and brake cleaner. Worked OK again.
Others didn't like the idea of the rag loosening grit up & it getting sucked into the engine.
I didn't go much past where the valve closes.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
2X on the ASV.
Mine fluttered a bit then cranked slightly faster.

I cleaned the inlet area of mine with a shop rag and brake cleaner. Worked OK again.
Others didn't like the idea of the rag loosening grit up & it getting sucked into the engine.
I didn't go much past where the valve closes.

I've cleaned the "throat" of several Intakes with no ill effect. I removed the EGR assembly and cleaned it extremely well. The owner(s) did not want to pay for an Intake removal cleaning. So, with warning, I cleaned the area just down stream from where the EGR bolts on. I "feathered" the crude down flat to reduce turbulence in the transition. The first one I did was at least 10 years ago. The guy is still driving the car with no problems.

Yes, I know this is not the recommended way to do.......... I've done several Intake removals and cleanings! Just sharing my story!

JoeTDI65

TDI
2002 Golf
well it got down to 0 deg. but its warmed up since and it just wont get past a quick spurt of running. i'm pretty sure it has to do with fuel supply. its just dark and cold when i get home in the evenings. I need to hook up a vacuum to the tank supply line to the filter and see if its flowing or not. I filled the filter with diesel a couple times now, so its pulling from the filter at least.

i will also take the advise and check the asv and see what its doing.

JoeTDI65

TDI
2002 Golf
Hang a jug and supply it with fuel from above. If it runs then it's likely jelled.

Its warmed up since. Its 50 deg today. I'll mess with it tonight since its warmer and check the asv, and also see if i can pull fuel from the tank easily.

JoeTDI65

TDI
2002 Golf
Did you get fuel spray when you did this?
yes it did. afterwards i checked the filter and the fuel level was low in the canister. so i dumped more into the filter. that is what makes me think that there's a restriction between the fuel tank and the filter. The thing that gets me right now is the time of year and it just happens that i parked the car in the driveway. There's enough of a slope that i can't push it in the garage, so i get home in the evenings and its dark and cold so it's not my priority when i get home.

Last edited:

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
If you're getting air in the filter then you need to look at sure getting in the fuel system. Look at all fuel lines to and from the pump, injectors, and the tank.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
yes it did. afterwards i checked the filter and the fuel level was low in the canister. so i dumped more into the filter. that is what makes me think that there's a restriction between the fuel tank and the filter...................snip...............
If you got spray at the nuts, you're getting fuel, it should start. Could also be air restricted or a big pipe has come loose.
If you're getting air in the filter then you need to look at sure getting in the fuel system. Look at all fuel lines to and from the pump, injectors, and the tank.

He did just change the fuel filter, so there would be some air.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Agreed, but if you disconnect stuff there will be some air, not enough to keep it from starting.
Dumb, but weather related, air filter is wet and froze.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
You didn’t mention if the GP light comes on when you attempted a start, does it light?
If not has the 109 relay been changed? If it’s black than it’s the old style and should be changed to the newer gray ones?

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
an ALH M-TDI in a MK2, a 2000 Jetta, 2003 wagon
Pretty common to see air in a fuel filter.
Air has a hard time going through a diesel soaked piece of paper.
So when the filter is new it will have more air
than when the filter is worn and vacuum is higher.
When it's pulling fuel harder more air gets pulled through the filter.
Clear fuel lines?

jackfolstam

Veteran Member
TDI
MkI Rabbit ALH swap
12v at the IP solenoid? When i swapped to 11mm I forgot to hook up the solenoid. I could bleed the fuel lines and the unions would leak fuel but it wouldn't fire oddly enough.

JoeTDI65

TDI
2002 Golf
Checked ASV, it's open, so doesn't seem.to be that. Will be looking at the fuel lines today. Got the cat pushed into the garage last night. Thanks for all the replies.

JoeTDI65

TDI
2002 Golf
I'm stumped. Fuel is flowing fine. Car sounds like its going to run and then shuts off. Its doing weird things now. The running lites come on now before the e brake is released and the immobilizer lite stays on the instrument cluster.

Solved. It was the immobilizer. The key fob lost contact with the ecu. I saw a similar issue someone else had posted. Anyways put the key in the ignition turn to the on position leave it for 10 minutes and boom it reconnects with the computer. Killed the battery, but charged it and car started on the first try. I'm so relieved. Hoping I didnt hurt the starter after all this.
Anyways thanks for all the constructive ideas!

Last edited: