Trailhead's BEW PD 5Spd Wagon

trailhead

Veteran Member
TDI
05sPD-BEWagon "Diesel Girl"
Trailhead's 2005sPD BEWagon

Back in April I bought this little gem and set about fixing it up. I bought the car cheaply and with the knowledge I'd have to service a few things before any mods could begin.

It's been a while now and I've fixed most of my problems and started to upgrade and personalize so it seems like now would be a good time to start a thread on the car.:)

This car came to me with 7 codes, all fixed. I've replaced the flywheel and clutch (VR6/G60), cv boot outters, timing belt, water pump, tensioner, idlers, acc belt, pads and 4 rotors, r ebrake cable, lr caliper, fuel filter, engine coolant temp sensor. I've also had Malone do the VNT delete so I could pass emission testing. It's been at the dealer for a glow plug recall and replacement. I've also changed the oil and filter as well as spent some coin on upgrades to my tool kit ( this is my first VW in a very long time). I plan to keep this car forever if possible.

Last edited:

trailhead

Veteran Member
TDI
shifter and steering wheel

Today I shortened the throw on my shifter, I picked up a spare at the wrecker;

Also, switched to the old style, less sloppy, shifter links;

Tonight I also replaced my steering wheel with a leather one with controls;

Last edited:

trailhead

Veteran Member
TDI
Today I replaced my engine air filter, cabin air filter and ordered 4 oem mud flaps.

I'm loving the short shifter, it's so fun!

trailhead

Veteran Member
TDI
Today I removed my 10w interior (overhead center) light and replaced it with a 35w LED triple and filter. 1 down, 7 to go. Most of the rest will be straight replacements. Except the rear cargo, I'll put another 35w there.

Edit August 13,13

I ended up going to a more ghetto approach to dome light. The built in version became unstable without its heat sink so I switched to a simple replaceable system. It's now held in place with an o-ring;

Last edited:

trailhead

Veteran Member
TDI
I picked up a few MR16 7w 12v led's (35w equiv) from a fixture in a house being demolished. I then take them apart and mod up custom bulbs for the car with the guts.

trailhead

Veteran Member
TDI
Started on my headlights today. I'm going with glass lens'. I'd like to put some kind of super efficient Led into the blank spot to be day-time running light but, I'm light retarded, mostly and don't know what to use:). I would like something super bright where my oem bulbs are now for the cottage roads. I'm also considering painting the non-reflector surfaces. Any advise would be greatly appreciated:)

craby1925

TDI
2003 Jetta Tdi
As an fyi, that chrome when used with painters tape, will rip right off . I know people paint the non reflector areas but I don't know how as that chrome will just rip off. My advice is experiment with a tape that won't peel away the chrome.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

trailhead

Veteran Member
TDI
As an fyi, that chrome when used with painters tape, will rip right off . I know people paint the non reflector areas but I don't know how as that chrome will just rip off. My advice is experiment with a tape that won't peel away the chrome.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
Thanks for that, you just saved me some angry swearing!:)

trailhead

Veteran Member
TDI
Today I had my front bumper off to inspect a couple things so, I painted a spare grill and switched it out. I still have a chrome VW badge I could put on it. I think I like the blacked out look better. I'll keep it this way until the next time I have the front end off.

trailhead

Veteran Member
TDI
Picked up 2 sets of 16's (summers pictured) so I can start planning big brakes. I've had them on for a couple days now and I'm very glad I went with 16's, they really are the sweet spot between ride and performance.

K-nuts

TDI
2013 JSW TDI
The dash cam got a 1 out of 5 stars on that website. It won't show the comments/reviews unless I log into the site. What is your take so far on that cam?

trailhead

Veteran Member
TDI
Their site sucks, I can't read the reviews and I have an account!

I'm not electronics geek but, it does what I wanted. The auto on/off is what appeals to me most. I haven't even plugged it into my pc yet to check picture quality. I figure it doesn't matter how low the picture quality is as long as it shows who hit who.

trailhead

Veteran Member
TDI
update

I occasionally need to load my Jetta to the roof and beyond. Wife, two kids, Golden retriever, 4 bikes, 4 coolers, 4 suitcases. I picked up this handy 21lbs (carries 250lbs) aluminum roof rack on sale for $100. I have to tarp it to protect the luggage but, I'll only use it for that 2-3 times per summer. Rest of the time it'll be off the car.

Last edited:

trailhead

Veteran Member
TDI
Most of the time my back seats are folded down for my dog. She rides with me most days. I also carry a lot of tools for my trade so I built a divider to keep her safe. The seats just fold back up with out removing the divider. I haven't carpeted it yet as I might replace it with a sub-woofer box.

Lazy dog!

Last edited:

trailhead

Veteran Member
TDI
Update

Replaced my in-tank lift pump. She's running much better now! Sadly I still have a slight hesitation around 2k. I'm gonna have to clean my turbo and intake next. I also did a ventectomy today.

trailhead

Veteran Member
TDI
Did a little winterizing today; Snows, Frost heater, ATE Front rotors, Swapped my headlights for the ones I rebuilt myself.

Last edited:

Wannabridin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Wagon, 5-spd, Desert Beige
How are you liking the ATE rotors?? I have a set of fronts awaiting install along with some Hawk pads.

trailhead

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm lovin' the rotors. Super smooth. The vents make a cool noise when I get on 'em. Having the non contact surfaces remain rust free is really nice as well. Should look cool when my mags go back on in the spring.

trailhead

Veteran Member
TDI
I used my cargo tray on Dec 22 to deliver food and toys to families in need here in the big smoke. The tray worked a charm and my 2 little Grinchs had a good time and felt good about themselves afterward.

trailhead

Veteran Member
TDI
Here's a couple pics of my frostheater plug. I back into my driveway as there's junior school very close. I haven't driven away with it plugged in yet ( oops; just jinksed myself) but, I'm hoping the bumper flexes enough to release the plug w/o damage.

trailhead

Veteran Member
TDI
I picked up a full set of leather GTI seats from PHAT_DUB today. Just had to switch out the seat belt latches as my car has the newer 4 wire connectors. Very pleased to have gotten the exact seats I wanted! Thanks Dennis!