UP of Michigan

kurps

TDI
06 Jetta, Reflex Silver
Getting my 5k service done next thursday at the stealership... (First one free,then i'll handle it all myself). But back to the point, I am going to head towards the UP of Michigan from southern MN.

Any suggestions on things to see, unique places to stay, eat, good fuel stops etc.

As of now the plan consists of just getting in the car and driving, and thats it.

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
The U P is a pretty big area actually. At the western end you've got the ski areas of Bessmer/Ironwood rich in the Gogebic Iron mining tradition. In the Middle toward Lake Superior you have the very SNOW RICH "Copper Country" where Compu 85 mentioned MTU(Michigan Technological Univ) in Houghton...Annul snowfest is quite the show....North of that you've got National Park very historic rugged country where you'll find the best Pasty's. Farther East you run into Marquette and Munising (Home of the first Great Lakes Underwater Preserve....Great Shipwreck diving) and kayaking though in winter its totally taken over by snowmobiles and some good cross country skiing. Definately stop at Tino's in Ispheming and get a Cudaghi!!! Farther East still you actually will come to Paradise just North of which is one of the best Shipwreck Museums around...has the Bell from the Edmund Fitzgerald. Across the bottom you have the Lake Michigan shore....lots of historic towns across the middle a few almost ghost towns since the mines have closed up.
Sturdy Hardy good people in the UP. Don't expect to see much city life the beauty is in the country.

AlaskaRanger

Veteran Member
TDI
wannabe...right now a 7.3...
lrpavlo said:
Definately stop at Tino's in Ispheming and get a Cudaghi!!! .
OK, I'll bite: What is a Cudaghi? A kind of a beer? A kind of pasty? A kind of massage:rolleyes: ?

I really like driving through the UP. Pretty nice country for being down in the tropics...:D

ARBY

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Sportwagen - really want a F-150.
I went to MTU for a while before transferring, can't go wrong in the Keweenaw...THE best place in the UP (no offense you Marquette people). The drive up to Eagle Harbor from Calumet along the Western shore of Superior is the best...two lanes, blind off-camber turns, very little traffic. Open it up and fly. Shoot up Cliff drive and do some climbing; go to Hungarian falls and chill; head up to Bootjack and...well...tell all your friends to went to a place called 'Bootjack.' ;) I could go on and on...oh yeah, you can to go to Gay, on the eastern part of the penninsula and go to the Gay Bar. Seriously.

Man, I really want to go back.

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
AlaskaRanger said:
OK, I'll bite: What is a Cudaghi? A kind of a beer? A kind of pasty? A kind of massage:rolleyes: ?

I really like driving through the UP. Pretty nice country for being down in the tropics...:D
Cudaghi (could be spelled improperly....sorry lyme brain here!) is an Italian spicy sausage sandwich....and yes it goes really well with BEER!!

In winter while I lived in Houghton I put chains on the pickup and never took them off till spring. Still got stuck lots of times heading up to Copper Harbor for ice diving...So I'd recommend you carry a shovel and lift that TDI for winter driving in the UP!

cptmox

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS, Silver 5-spd
All this talk about pasty's make me think one of two things:

You are talking about some delicious pastries.

-or-

Talking about a gentlemen's club where the ladies wear pasties.

Either one sounds like a great reason to stop. :)

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
Check out this site!

http://pasty.com/

Hmmmm, I can almost smell them now....I like em with ketchup but will certainly not turn em down with gravy on em!!! :)

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
cptmox said:
All this talk about pasty's make me think one of two things:
You are talking about some delicious pastries.
-or-
Talking about a gentlemen's club where the ladies wear pasties.
Either one sounds like a great reason to stop. :)
Delicious pastries...with meat-n-taters inside.

I would be very wary of gentlemen's clubs in da U.P.... :eek:....the girls are of a 'heartier stock' up dare, ya hey....

TDIx2

Veteran Member
Saginaw Mi ~ looking out for deer and dangerous pe
TDI
2014 Jetta
Da UP eh....... Don't forget to fill up in Bay City Mi at BP station 3790 N. Euclid Ave if you want some BP~ B-20 power blend.

Lots to see in the UP like the Soo Locks. They are neat to see for the first time. Nice burger at a small restaurant called Antlers by the locks too. A ton of water falls and light houses too.

http://www.mackinawinfo.com/tahquamenon_falls.htm

http://www.michigan.org/travel/

Here is the latest weather report for Mackinaw Bridge.
http://www.michigan.gov/som/0,1607,7-192-33010-85112--,00.html

Wow! I wish I was going there too, enjoy your trip.

buttonfly

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI GLS Wagon
in da UP

If you have time before you go, hit your local bookstore and/or library, and pick up a copy of "off the beaten path" or "off the beaten track" or something like that. It lists out-of-the-way sights to see and places to eat. A trusted guide to authentic pastys, fresh smoked whitefish (yum!), and unique watering holes.

Have fun!