MN Chat Thread

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Made the mistake of not going out for lunch at work.
dead cold engine starts a lot harder than "last ran 4hr ago" engine, heh
luckily I had a can of everyone's favorite air freshener... engine was so cold it didn't even do the normal violent knock on start that ether brings, just started as if it were just nicely warm

Really should get around to getting some uncut pistons back in my engine.
Lower compression isn't necessary with modern injection timing control.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Made the mistake of not going out for lunch at work.
dead cold engine starts a lot harder than "last ran 4hr ago" engine, heh
luckily I had a can of everyone's favorite air freshener... engine was so cold it didn't even do the normal violent knock on start that ether brings, just started as if it were just nicely warm

Really should get around to getting some uncut pistons back in my engine.
Lower compression isn't necessary with modern injection timing control.
haha! kicked mine over this morning at 1 degree first two rotations of the starter were sadly slow, and then she sped up and started within 4 seconds of cranking. I think ill be looking at new injector nozzles come spring... or maybe a tad sooner. I can't wait to try my frost heater, but it could at least wait another month until it's that cold.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
oh man, I've only got a 750w tank heater on mine, but plugged in it only needs about half a crank revolution to be running
with the ether, it is a solid 40 seconds of cranking to get it from the air cleaner through both turbos and intercoolers to the motor
Really should put a tee in the HP wastegate line to get it a huge amount closer to the intake manifold. Might just drive a different car in the cold.
Just popped up on Craigslist: 2003 Golf 2-door 5-speed, 214k, $2200, in North Branch.
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/cto/d/north-branch-2003-vw-golf-tdi/7012223866.html
heh neat, that's pretty much my car but in much nicer shape
I'd love another, but $500's my 'buy' price

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I saw it on there!!:eek: it's sooo close i want to go look at it so bad, and would absolutely love to buy a black or blue golf!! but i'm in college and don't have much tdi free time:( (for mods and upgrades). someday i'll get more!!
If I had not recently bought an '03 Jetta TDI wagon I probably would have at least had a look at it.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
If I had not recently bought an '03 Jetta TDI wagon I probably would have at least had a look at it.
Same car as I have. 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 198,000 miles totally stock. The battery just died and so did the alternator. Changed it over this past weekend, that was fun.

Whenever I can find Nick he is going to swap the Auto in it to my 5 speed with WaveTrack LSD, + PP520's and an a RC3 tune. Will be around 140 hp when I am done.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Same car as I have. 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 198,000 miles totally stock. The battery just died and so did the alternator. Changed it over this past weekend, that was fun.
Whenever I can find Nick he is going to swap the Auto in it to my 5 speed with WaveTrack LSD, + PP520's and an a RC3 tune. Will be around 140 hp when I am done.
I would like to do a similar thing with the glowbug (mines a manual so no swap tho), but it probably won't happen anytime soon. I am planning on pp520 in the next year, and would like a malone stage2 someday, but a southbend stage 2 clutch and flywheel is kinda pricey if i'm not doing the work myself, and idk if im mechanically ready for that kind of job.

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
My wagon is getting the 11mm IP that I already had, plus DLC764 nozzles and a Malone Stage 3 tune. Eric Merker is doing the work -- I have neither the time nor the expertise to do more than just basic maintenance. But it's a rust-free car from Washington by way of Texas, so worth spending a few bucks to make it right.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, nice. Mine is full life MN car, has two nickel size spots of missing paint and a 5" scratch on the passenger door but neither have gotten any worse since i bought the car 3 years ago. But because it's green it is a bit sun-faded one of the reasons I have a hard time wanting to put a bunch of upgrades in it just because cosmetically it's not Mint. on the other hand since it's at 235,000 miles I'm still planning on having it a few more years, even then I think it would be really fun to pull the motor and put it in something else once the body's gone or restore it completely.

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
But it's a rust-free car from Washington by way of Texas, so worth spending a few bucks to make it right.
saw you in the red golf a couple weeks back on 88

the guys at work didn't believe me when I said it had like 750k on it :rolleyes:

Redlabel6

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta, 2005 Passat
05 Passat

Hi everyone,
I'm needing to divest myself of a few vehicles. One is my B5.5 TDI Passat. it was original a Texas car. I've replaced the cam, done the balance shaft delete, replaced front wheel bearings, installed a Frost Heater, rear calipers, lift pump, and tandem pump. VW replaced the deck lid, hood, both front fenders and repainted one rear quarter under the rust warranty 2 or 3 years ago, so there is no rust. All oil changes since I have had it have been with the proper oil.

I also have just about everything you would need to convert it to a manual transmission except the transmission and clutch. The auto is still running fine in it. I also have spare filters, glow plugs and other items that will go with it.

I average between 35 and 38mpg with regularity. Currently is has 274xxx miles on it. I thought I would see if there is an interest here before I put it on Craigslist.
What is the consensus on a price for it?

d

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
sighting. anyone seen a red lifted beetle here in MN? sounds like a 2+ inch lift maybe...

Also anyone got an ALH sitting around that maybe was in an accident, or is just MN eaten? (just not worth fixing or getting road worthy again) but has a good motor. Im looking for a spare parts motor, and trans just to have around... kinda sounded like a good idea.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
sighting. anyone seen a red lifted beetle here in MN? sounds like a 2+ inch lift maybe...
Brandon who used to work with Merker had a red lifted NB. Last I heard he was having engine problems, but since he IS a VW mechanic it could have been fixed.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I thought I would see if there is an interest here before I put it on Craigslist.
What is the consensus on a price for it?
sedan or wagon?
I'd be interested at an insulting price point. :p
no idea on pricing, as I only pay attention to the 500 dollar range

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
you'll have to find a zeroed out cluster to swap in once you hit all 9's
That's not how it works. The cluster can only convert kilometers to miles up to one million kilometers. So the cluster was already rolled back shortly after the odometer reached 600k miles. It was rolled back by exactly 400k miles, so the next time it reaches 600k it will actually be one million miles. (Approximately, as there is some variability due to different tire sizes and diameters.) That assumes that I can keep it running another 206k miles. But right now it is running fantastically and it keeps making money for me.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
well my loan from my toatled car was finally paid off. took forever for gap to pay. i like my replacement. 2011 jsw tdi with sunroof and nav, its blue. been working by deerwood. got it with 88k, and it has 93k, had it bout 2 months. finally got my replacement pano shade. I have also personalized my car some. tinted windows, blue neo crome headlight vinyl, made a strong hitch, red footwell lights, smoked bumper park lights. helper bags in the rear. door warning lights. i have aspherical mirrors and a auto dimming mirror coming. will be adding puddle lights in the summer. Fog-lights with yellow bulbs. Ordering a flashzilla and do a .5 tune. I have to replace the rear hatch switch as well.

If ya see me give a honk and a wave.

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
That's not how it works. The cluster can only convert kilometers to miles up to one million kilometers.
huh, the ALH beetle ones would read 999999, wonder why the golf/jetta would be different (said anyone who has parted out a beetle, about all sorts of parts that should have been interchangable)

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Saw an ad on craigslist a couple weeks back for a parts jetta in his yard, seemed like it was listed by a customer, for what little that's worth.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This person has a TDI club license plate frame. Are they on here? Seems like a good deal, but concerning to be selling after less than a year.
He could have inherited the license plate frame from the previous owner. The car seems clean and reasonably priced.

Farmboy

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf SE TDI 6spd 109k miles; '00 A4 NB 5spd 216k; '96 B4 Passat Sedan 220k
Looking for local set of four (4) 15x6 5x112 steel wheels/rims

Anyone have a helpful suggestion where/how to get a set of four (4) 15"x6" steel rims, 5x112 bolt pattern, offset of 43, local to the Twin Cities, that will fit on a a 2015 Golf TDI SE? -- Don't need the cheapest source, don't need to find the most expensive one, though, either. New is not out of the question . . . Thanks in advance . . .

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
plenty of partouts on cl
dunno how common 15s would be with that pattern though

ITSPREZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 5spd
Anyone have a helpful suggestion where/how to get a set of four (4) 15"x6" steel rims, 5x112 bolt pattern, offset of 43, local to the Twin Cities, that will fit on a a 2015 Golf TDI SE? -- Don't need the cheapest source, don't need to find the most expensive one, though, either. New is not out of the question . . . Thanks in advance . . .
It has been a several years since I got my steel wheels but found they on tirerack.com

ebain21

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6M
I'm sure you've done your homework, but it's worth mentioning... do 15" wheels fit on the 2015 golfs? the smallest I can go on my 2012 is 16" because of the brake size.

Farmboy

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf SE TDI 6spd 109k miles; '00 A4 NB 5spd 216k; '96 B4 Passat Sedan 220k
[486]/ITSPREZ - Thx!
Ebain21 - thx! I’m doing as much homework as I can, yep . . . as you indicate, it sounds like it is either impossible or very difficult to put wheels smaller than 16s on the MkVI. From what I can tell so far, the lighter MkVII Golf/SportWagen was/is generally fitted with smaller (288mm?) brakes than the MkVI (size ?), except for the MkVII R & AllTrac models which had/have bigger brakes and apparently - like all MkVI models - cannot fit wheels smaller than 16.
It seems to be the case that the lowest cost initial year MkVII (2015 2 door) 5 speed manual gas version (can’t remember the name of it) was sold with 15x6 43 offset steel rims and 195/65-R15 tires. It also seems that the hub, etc. on this model are all the same as, or similar enough to, my 2015 4 door SE TDI 6 speed manual. I hope this to be the case though I am not in a position to prove it yet.
VW is offering new - or at least listing - the rim I’m hunting for at something like $190 a piece . . . I might ultimately break down and buy a set of wheels from VW, though I’m hoping I find a good yet less expensive option new or used (VW? Audi?, Benz?, all apparently have models that use 5x112 rims, though I haven’t found out what other cars might have a usable offset). All that said, I can’t pretend to be nearly as knowledgeable about VW and/or tires/wheels as many others, especially on TIDclub.
It gets hard fast to dig up info beyond what I’ve laid out above, at least for me, so I’m hoping someone much more knowledgeable than I happens to notice my query and can help me find what I’m hoping to get my hands on . . . I’m starting local, and depending on how things go, I’ll end up up maybe posting a WTB in the buy/sell forum and maybe posting on the MkVII forum for feedback from farther afield.