TDIFest 2010, the location is Portland, OR

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
This year we had two very strong proposals from Chicago, Il and Portland, Or. With good locations and some experienced individuals behind each proposal it was a very tough decision. In the end I decided to select Portland, Oregon as the location of TDIFest 2010 (September 3-5th) and it will be hosted by the following people:

Lead Organizers: Shalon Fraser (Zippy_car) and Brian Webber (Jetpuf)
Committee Members: Keli McCoy Weltchek (Keli_OR),Philip Schroder (Farfromovin),Pierre Bigras (tothemax),Justin Grow (oldpoopie) and Michele Vasquez (TDI Blue Meenies)

I'll be posting more this week from the proposal and we anticipate having registration up and running in early in the new year once a few more items are tweaked.

As for the Chicago proposal, it was very strong and I hope to see this proposal resubmitted for next year's event. Related to the selection process, I'd like to move the due date for proposal submission forward by about 4 months. This will enable the announcement of the next TDIFest location to take place at the closing dinner at the next TDIFest. For those that have been patiently waiting since Labour Day, you'll have just that much more time to plan.

Congratulations to the this years crew!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Congratulations Portland! You all are going to do a great job. I can't think of a better group of folks to plan a West Coast TDIFest. :cool:

Also, thanks to Fred for the invitation to be on the TDIFest Steering Committee. I'm honored to be able to help out in this capacity.

Let there be West Fest! :D

JetPuf

Veteran Member
TDI
White '98 Bug, Gray 2010 GL350
Thanks Fred! I speak for our group that we are truly honored to be the choice for TDI Fest 2010. I know the Chicago group put together a excellent proposal, and your decision was a tough one.

mblhrmn

TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI, BLK
Woohoo! Looking forward to the great, long drive next year and our first TDIFest. :) Way to go OR crew! Maybe I can even get that maple bacon donut I keep seeing on the Travel channel!

airwolf

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Congrats Portland team! Having done two proposals now, I know the work that is involved.

Feel free to contact me us at anytime if you need help with anything along the process.

Look forward to watching your progress and help out where ever I can!

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
mblhrmn said:
Woohoo! Looking forward to the great, long drive next year and our first TDIFest. :) Way to go OR crew! Maybe I can even get that maple bacon donut I keep seeing on the Travel channel!
Voodoo donuts??? :D :D :D

I am proud to be a part of organizing the 2010 TDI Fest! Thanks for the opportunity Fred.

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
Thanks, Fred for the announcement. I know it was a tough decision for you.

Thank you to the Chicago group for their support. You are an incredible group of people to have put on the biggest fest in TDIclub history last year, only to turn around with the same energy and enthusiasm to put together another bid this year. well done.

It was a TDIclub first, 2 proposals submitted for 1 fest. We're glad to see that so many of you gave support to both bids. Best of luck to the Chicago group in the future. :)

We hope that this fest will draw in crowds from all over the western seaboard in both the United States and Canada, as well as many members from all over the country. This is the farthest west that TDIFest has ever been and we believe it is a great opportunity to bring everyone together to show support for TDIclub and the hard work and dedication that Fred and so many other members have put forth to keeping this club going strong! We hope to see many of you there!

Thank You for your continued support! See you in 2010!

Last edited:

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Well it's put up or shut up next year for the left coasters that wanted a closer "west fest" Lets see 400 at this one.

I might come. If I can fly 1st class. cattle hearded size seating does my back no favors for 4 1/2 hours. It's not the leg room...it's the width....Big people flying these days! I may be wide but I'm not wide enough to take 2 seats like the people next to me on the last 3 flights! Bent into the seat next to me for 4 hours sucked!

Keli_OR

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 black Sportwagen SE, '01 silver Jetta GLS, '00 green Beetle
Thank you very much Fred for giving us this opportunity.

I am so looking forward to participating in hosting this Fest and showing people the beauty and hospitality of the great Pacific Northwest.

I need to rest while I can, because I get the feeling that the next 9 months are going to be a blur!!!!

:D :D :D
Keli

OldGreaser

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta
Portland... I'm already packed.

Thanks Fred,

The left coast folks thank you.

Big thanks to Zippy_car, Jetpuf, Keli_OR, Farfromovin, tothemax, oldpoopie, and TDI Blue Meenies for putting yourselves out.

Yikes the work has just started...

I'll be there !!! Put my name on a group rate list for motel room for a week.

Last edited:

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
And now I am left debating whether to drive or fly, knowing that getting there is half the fun, as the saying goes, but it would be a three-day drive for me, unless I can get a co-driver. I definitely would have driven alone to a Chicago fest. I'm looking forward to the Fest in Portland, and plan to make the trip.

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I'll be driving.
And no matter if I go North or take a southern route I'll have to fight traffic the whole way.
Canada Day or Fourth of July traffic on the way out west, and Veterans Day / Rememberance Day on the way back home.

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Wow...so the west it is....there BETTER be a lot of cars... Big states, lots of Tdis. I will have to fly there...I cant take 2 weeks off from work. What is there to do in Portland anyway?(besides the inordinate number of strip clubs). Of course...we will have to visit Rich and Marcel....and my buddy Phillip.

JetPuf

Veteran Member
TDI
mrchill said:
Wow...so the west it is....there BETTER be a lot of cars... Big states, lots of Tdis. I will have to fly there...I cant take 2 weeks off from work. What is there to do in Portland anyway?(besides the inordinate number of strip clubs). Of course...we will have to visit Rich and Marcel....and my buddy Phillip.
There is tons to do! But what's wrong with strip clubs :)

Lug_Nut

TDI
I just found a short-cut!

I-84 west to the end in Wilkes Barre, PA, then the hyperspace wormhole warp jump to re-emerge on I-84 where it resumes just east of Salt Lake City.
This bypasses that cornfield in-between.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Unfortunately i'll be missing out on another fest.. Portland is quite a bit too far outside of the realm of possibility for next year.

Oh well, hopefully we can get it going in Chicago for '11.

SilverDieselDemon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW 2 Door Golf 1.9L
Lug_Nut said:
I just found a short-cut!

I-84 west to the end in Wilkes Barre, PA, then the hyperspace wormhole warp jump to re-emerge on I-84 where it resumes just east of Salt Lake City.
This bypasses that cornfield in-between.
I have good friends in Mountain Top, PA (Wilkes Barre). Its a shame, they make really great, what is a safe word, Spirits/firewater perhaps. ;) I might try your wormhole on the way home it would be worth the long ride home. :cool:

mblhrmn

TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI, BLK
The drive really can't get much better for us. Out of TX, through CO, touching WY, SLC, and across OR. Make the full circle down through CA, touching the 1 perhaps. Straight across AZ and NM. Could be one of the best drives I'll experience in the country.

And who do I have to thank for planning these TDIFests at the same time as my anniversary? I DO appreciate the idea of that!

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
I am so excited that the 2010 TDI-fest will be in Portland I will finally be able to attend a TDI fest, Kudos to the crew that put the proposal together , Zippy, Phil, Pierre, Jetpuff, Justin and everybody else involved. I am sure that Portland will be an awsome place to have the fest in the West Coast, ..Great work guys.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Now I have to figure out the logistics of getting to and from Portland. I want to drive out there with Jason, see the country along the way, then pop up and visit my mom's family in Seattle after Fest... but I don't know if we can take 3 weeks off of work. :eek: (Well, I can, but I don't think Jason can.)

JetPuf

Veteran Member
TDI
Has anyone with alternate transportation thought to put their car on a train or truck, then fly out here, pick up their car, and drive it back??

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
For those who are intrigued about the possibility of attending the PDX fest but aren't sure how to get there. There are options. Drive, plane, train.

I've flown out to the last 3 fests ('07, '08, '09), it can be done... and for relatively cheap. I'm poor, I shop for cheap tickets... and I'm just that stubborn and determined enough to make it to fest that I find ways. It can be done, just gotta do the research. ;) I REALLY hope to see many of you there. Matter of fact... I look forward to it. :D It's the highlight of my year.

for the NE'ers... come to the left coast and let me show you why I wanted to move out here in the first place. :D

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
Driving a TDI is fun and if you have 2 people, it would be a quick trip, work as a team just like the big rigs, no log books.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Zippy_car said:
It was a TDIclub first, 2 proposals submitted for 1 fest.
But it won't be the last.....;)

This will be a flying trip for me. I don't think Cheryl and I like each other enough to drive that far together. :p

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Well I dont think I want to go by train (too claustrophobic), nor by plane (too claustrophobic, too "fluffy" and too much of a wuss) so if I do go, I would be driving.

It would be a beautiful drive, and my wife was already hoping for Portland as she goes through Chicago all the time. But we will have to see what work/money/school dictates at that time. I'm sure the PDX crew will put on an excellent event.

ecodean

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf, 85 jetta(sold), 03 jetta(sold)
YA HOO:D , Its been 16 years since I've been to Portland, and 28 years since I've driven a car across the USA. Back then it took two months. I better get packing. Sounds like its road trip time.

Lug_Nut

TDI
Zippy_car said:
for the NE'ers... come to the left coast and let me show you why I wanted to move out here in the first place. :D
I actually like New England better than almost anyplace I've ever been, that's why it's 'home' for me.

goTDIcandy

Veteran Member
TDI
white 05 Golf
My last time to Portland was Dean's & my '93 cross-country bicycle trip. It was almost 3,000 miles, and took us 2months from Ocean Grove, NJ to Seaside, Oregon. The whose-car-to-drive debate continues and get it trip-ready!, 'tho I think I can guess....
Looking forward to the Agenda & Hotel pictures!
Congrats to all, and good luck. I know it'll be good.
Kristina