2.5 Jetta Won't Start--Any Suggestions?

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
My son left the lights on and ran the battery down on his 2005 2.5 liter Jetta. He then jumped the battery and the starter turns normally, but the engine will not fire. He says there is a VERY strong gasoline odor as well. I figure the engine is flooded, perhaps from the battery voltage being too low to spark the plugs as it was cranking. Just a guess, though. I suggested he let it sit a while and then attempt to start the car later with the accelerator floored to clear the gasoline out.

Anyone have any experience with this engine not starting and have ideas on what to do? It does have some wierd aftermarket alarm system the previous owner inistalled that may prevent the engine from running as well (I plan on ripping it out as soon as I can), or perhaps the ignition switch or ignition is not working. It sure is getting gas, though. I am at a loss. I am not familiar with this engine at all.

Thanks.

--Nate

Last edited:

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
I would focus on that aftermarket alarm thingy. Sounds like fuel is injecting but spark may be getting interrupted? Maybe also try disconnecting batt, touching leads and reconnecting. Some electronics freak when volts come up slow. I too know nothing about that motor.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
First order is to see if there is spark at the plugs. Take one out, put a straightened paperclip in the plug boot, hold it a 1/4" from a ground area and crank the engine. If there is a strong, blue spark that arks,that is good. Then look at fuel supply.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately my son had his car towed to the VW dealer and for $75 they are "dignosing" the problem. From my son the dealer tech has said conflicting things, so I plan on calling the dealer later when the service advisor gets in. My son was told that there is poor, or no, compression. Then he was told it might be less severe and a problem with the aftermarket alarm system (they told him that when he went to have the car towed to my house so I could look at it.) So he let them look at it some more, but under the understanding they wan't charge any more without authorization. But the dealer was pretty sure about the compression being poor. I had no idea how this could happen without the car running (would not start when jumped because the battery ran down, Son said it turned over fine, just would not fire and it flooded.

But I reasearched the 2005.5 2.5 liter VW engine and there are rampant problems with failed timing chains (actually its the chain guides or tensioner) in the 70,000 - 100,000, miles range. His has 85,000 on it. There is a design flaw that was corrected by 2008. And his car had the tell-tale cold rattle of the chain going, I believe. If this is the case, its a $5000 plus dealer job, because the cylinder head valves get trashed too, and I read that the engine has to be removed to get the clearance to replace the chain:eek:. So I don't know if I am up to tackling this, or not. My guess is that the previous owner was onto this problem and sold the car in the nick of time.

I think I'll let him have it towed to my house and make the best of it. I may even attempt the cylinder head rebuild myself. I've replaced valves and valve guides and seals in the 1.6 liter diesel and it would be awsome if my VW special-purpose valve spring compressor, 8 mm valve guide punch and seal tools worked!

I have a new and appreciative view of the trusty TDI after this!

--Nate

Last edited:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Oh boy-my nephew has one of these 2005.5 Jettas w/ 2.5 and between 90k-100k on it. Next time I see car I'll have to listen to see if I hear anything.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Doh! My son just told me he tried to push start the car IN REVERSE, BUT USING SECOND GEAR, because the jump start with the battery did not work. Since it was backed in to a parking space on a hill he rolled it backwards and popped the clutch with the transmission in second gear! This made the engine turn backwards. He attempted this a couple of times and the last time, the engine "Stopped abruptly". Maybe that is when the chain let loose and the valves got munched! I hate to say it, but I thought he was smarter than this. At least he should have tried reverse.

Got it in my garrage last evening, put it on a battery charger and later gave it a start. The engine just spins over extremly fast like the spark plugs are removed. No compression pulses. Just an uninterrupted whir. Absolutely no compression:(. There are no interference sounds either, so I may be lucky. The timing chain(s) must have let loose. Oddly, car drove fine when my son parked it and turned it off.

My son bought the car (paid $7000) without me looking at it (although I may have not noticed any issues) and has driven it about 500 miles since bought. When I did ride in the car, the engine sounded absolutely flawless and had ample power. What a bummer.

I have the Bentley CD on order and will review what is involved in replacing the timing chain and I'll decide if it is worth it to fix it our put a used engine in it or what not. I'll also look at the lifters and see if I see obvious damage. This is an interference engine.

--Nate

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
If it's an interference engine an spinning like crazy, then you can bet some head parts (valves) and maybe pistons are damaged. Good luck!

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
I would like to think an engine can tolerate some reverse spins without damage. Heck I'm not sure the TB tensioner on my ALH will keep belt tight rotating in reverse.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
This is probably what happened, the chain was probably on its way out when your son did the reverse screw up. That was probably enough send it over the edge and totally fubared it.

And yes, the engine has to come out to fix it because the chain is on the transmission side. Big $$$. Common issue with the early 2.5s.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
"And yes, the engine has to come out to fix it because the chain is on the transmission side".

:eek:That's why! I thought it was a lack of clearance on the "normal" timing belt end (even though its a chain). I was looking at the passenger side of the motor, trying to figure out how to get the cover off! Wrong end.

--Nate

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
This is probably what happened, the chain was probably on its way out when your son did the reverse screw up. That was probably enough send it over the edge and totally fubared it.

And yes, the engine has to come out to fix it because the chain is on the transmission side. Big $$$. Common issue with the early 2.5s.
What he said. You can leave the engine in and remove the transmission instead, though, if you like. If it is a stick you won't be able to get the engine out by itself anyways I don't think. The clutch/flywheel assembly won't clear the bellhousing, because the other end of the engine is jammed up so tight against the body already.

I'd also put a new vacuum pump on it, they go bad and start barfing oil too. That is a great engine... for about 75k miles. Then you'll wish it was a TDI, LOL.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks Oilhammer. That is a good tip. I can handle that. Question: If I replace the timing chain and related parts, will the new parts be improved where the engine should not have this issue again? (I read the issue was resolved for the 2008 model year on the 2.5 L)

Also, being an interference engine, can I simply look for cracked/dimpled lifter faces and if all looks good, avoid removing the head, or is this a "must do" regardless? Do all valves have to be removed from the head and checked for straightness? Can I just check the ones with obvious lifter damage?

And if I remove the head, is valve replacement something I could do? (I've replaced the valves, guides and seals on a 1.6 L diesel before, myself). Do the guides have to be replaced in locations where a valve bent?

Thanks.

--Nate

oilhammer

TDI
The head is gonna have to come off for sure. Get me the engine code and I can look up some parts for you. It is a BGP or BGQ.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
What a cheery thread. I have a 2007 Jetta 2.5 that was born in Feb 07. Has 74,000 miles on it. Any way to tell if mine has improved parts or is it a time-bomb? I'm tempted to sell it and get a new 2.0 Jetta bottom feeder for longevity and better fuel mileage.

oilhammer

TDI
Basically all the BGP and BGQ engines (which were in use through the 2007 model year) are the more problematic ones.

2008 is when the CBTA/CBUA engines came out.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Basically all the BGP and BGQ engines (which were in use through the 2007 model year) are the more problematic ones.

2008 is when the CBTA/CBUA engines came out.
Can the CBTA/CBUA bare long block be swapped in if I use all of the stuff on the original engine? I read a post on some other forum where someone said they installed the engine from a 2008 2.5 liter in their 2005.5 Jetta and they also stated that 2008 was the model year when VW had this issue fixed.

--Nate

Last edited:

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The head is gonna have to come off for sure. Get me the engine code and I can look up some parts for you. It is a BGP or BGQ.
Thanks Oilhammer. After I ascertain what I need, I may take you up on that and then buy the parts from 1stvwparts.com. I have a three-day weekend coming up and on Friday I'll dig in.

--Nate

Last edited:

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
PD, I'm sorry I kinda hijacked your thread. If you figure this out and fix it, please post the progress. Good luck! :)

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'll post progress. Especially if this is a do-it-yourself repair. I just hope my Bently arrives by Friday (I have a 3-day weekend to work on it). If its not a do-it-yourself (and the need for cost prohibitive special tools may determine this), I'll consider a salvage engine. I did some pricing and for $2000 or so I can get one. My concern with that though is I may buy the same problem--A 2005/2006 engine that will throw the timing chain again, or one that was damaged or in bad shape. I read a post on another forum where someone installed a 2008 engine, but its a different code and I need to be absolutely sure it will fit/work. By 2008 VW fixed this mess with the 2.5.

--Nate

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This is What I Found

The good news: The compression between cylinders does not vary at all. The bad news: The compression is absolutely zero (0) on all 5 holes:eek:, tested with my trusty 35 year old gasoline engine professional grade guage that I have not used in 22 years.

I pulled the valve cover and oddly, both camshafts rotate when cranking the engine. This engine has roller lifters (or rockers), so I can not tell if there is valve damage. Oddly, if I rotate the engine in the reverse direction (using the clutched alternater pulley and my serrated bit for the TDI), the exhaust camshaft rotates some, stops, jumps forward and makes a clicking noise when it jumps. The intake camshaft rotates about half a turn and just stops when I keep turning the engine backwards. Perhaps this engine was not meant to be rotated backwards.

My guess is that the engine had an ignition problem, would not start, and my son ran it in reverse by popping the clutch in second with the car rolling backwards and the valves got fubared when the camshaft(s) stopped turning.

--Nate

Last edited:

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Sounds like a good analysis. Bent valves, timing obviously off on at least one cam, chain fubared. On a gasser with canted valves, when they bend, they really bend.

Head off, gearbox and flywheel off to get to chain hdw. Sounds like motor needs (or should) come out for fix due to clearance issues. But you need to do that anyway if you swap a motor.

Go ahead and start pulling it, maybe price out a whole bucket of valves and the chain stuff.

Maybe you have some free kid labor available for one of those "learning moments"??

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yea. Bummer. Question, though. I was looking at BGP engine parts online and IMPEX lists this motor as having a rubber cogged timing belt:confused: also fits some 2.0 liters, as well. Is it a belt or chain? I thought a chain.

Supposidely my Bentley CD for this car will be here today or tomorrow. If I don't need too many expensive special tools, I may give the valve and valve guide replacement a shot myself.

--Nate

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
It is a chain. That's why it is such a Failboat. Two chains, actually. A lower and an upper, similar to the VR engines.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
^^^how did VW "fix" this in 2008? Are the tensioners, ramps and other bits upgraded? If that is the case, can the new parts be retrofitted to the two earlier lumps?