need complete brake fluid swap procedure.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Hi all.

I was looking in the bentley and couldnt find the info on brake fluid change. I plan on completely flushing everything, including the abs and clutch. Anyone able to give the appropriate directions or link to such, will be greatly appreciated.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
The Bentley CD has the directions on all that. But it won,t let you cut and paste them. You also need the Vag-com to do the ABS module

Fast_SilverTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, 2000, Satin Silver
It's really simple. To bleed your brakes, simply start with your passenger rear wheel, driver side rear wheel, passenger fr then drivers front, then clutch. When you're pumping the pedal, make sure you put a block of wood under the brake pedal so you don't push it past what you normally would with regular braking. This will prevent damage to the master cylinder by dragging crap on the piston through the seals. Then bleed your clutch. Make sure you DO NOT use DOT 5 fluid. You'll destroy your braking system by doing so. You might want to buy yourself a one man bleeder kit. It's a check valve that allows you to push fluid out but it won't allow any air back into the lines. This way, you don't need 2 people to do the job. Also, most importantly don't let the resevoir empty out otherwise you'll have to re-bleed all your calipers and clutch again because it'll let air into the system. Always keep it topped right up!

Good luck

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
IF you allow one part of the resevoir to run dry YOU have to Bleed the ABS module according to the bentley CD. The Vag-com runs the ABS unit while you bleed both front brakes at the same time and gets any air trapped in the ABS pistons out.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
right, I have the vag-com, an oil extractor,
and its associated brake fluid vac-bleed attachment.

I guess what I want to know is, when do I do the abs pump, before I do the front brakes, after the back brakes, and before the clutch, or what?

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
nevermind, we must have posted at the same time birdman. So let me understand.... I bleed the back brakes, then the abs which will in turn bleed the front brakes, then the clutch.

Correct?

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
IF you want to BLEED the abs pump you need a vag-com no way around it. you should also have the Bentley CD which explains in detail haw to to it. I can't print and fax the info or i would. When doing the pump you do BOTH front wheels at the same time then do the RT rear, LF rear. RT front ,LF Front, just like any car normal. As stated above you only have to bleed the ABS unit IF the reservoir has been empty.

Dean_S

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 535d x-drive
Bleeding the brakes is something most folks don't look forward to. But you can get much of the benefits by removing the fluid at the reservoir and replacing once a year. These euro designed systems with reserviours vented to atmosphere suck. Thats how moisture gets in and the most moisture contaminated fluid will be in the reserviour. In any case, you should do this before bleeding, as this will prevent pumping the worst through the length of the system. If you want to get extreme about it, you can empty it, then force the caliper pistons back and emtoy again. With the rear brakes you would have to remove the pads and use the proper tool to get the piston back in, and that is probably too much unless you are replacing the pads anyways.

And don't forget that block of wood behind the brake petal!!!

jettajim

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Golf 6-spd, '12 Passat gasser:(
Everyone: look at the Bentley. The brake lines from the wheels go thru the ABS and then to the res. OK, now what happens to the fluid in the res as you suck it out of a brake line? The res fluid drops. This simply means that when the car is off, the ABS is a straight thru by-pass to the res. Another meaning of this setup is this: when you bleed the brake lines, you are also bleeding the ABS. The only thing you need the vagcom for is if you actually replace the ABS electronic module (this is secured to the hydraulic unit) and only to code the unit to communicate with the ECM.

Do as someone above stated and drain the res (but not dry of course) first before bleeding the brakes. Fill it up with fresh DOT 4 and begin. It's just like any other car.

edited for this info: I have tried several different 1-man brake bleeders and they all suck (well, not really, they're just not worth the time or money). Bleed them the old fashioned way--with 2 people. It's MUCH faster and not nearly as messy!

Another item cosmic's post reminded me of is the clutch. You might as well do this at the same time since you're already in there

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
oldpoopie asked for the proper way according to the bentley to bleed the ABS , brakes , and clutch. I have tried to relay that. oldpoopie I have bleed the ABS the proper way many times and if it were my car Leave it alone UNLESS one of the chambers on the resevoir goes dry. I would get as much out of it and fill with fresh before starting. You may find the Information on Bleeding the ABS unit under 01 On Board Diagnostic (OBD),ABS ITT Mk 20 IE On Board Diagnostic (OBD) program. Not under brakes on the CD bentley. It may be in the same place in paper version. Sorry for the bold don't know why it did that.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
well, here is the deal, back in the fall, when I did the vr6/1.8t front brake swap, I bled the brakes, but didnt know what I was doing, and the res went dry, so yes, I got that gurgle gurgle sound.....

Yes, I am a stupid man.

Now to the point, I want to... have to do a complete brake flush, and since I did such a bad job last time and my pedal feel is so crapy, I want to do it complete and by the book. Thanks for the info birdman, much appreciated. I should have the super blue by friday, so I'm hoping to do this next monday.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Note long post. Hope this comes through so if you can,t find it in your paper Manuel you will have some idea what to do and why you need the Vag-com. The Vag-com will walk you through it just keep hitting the up button after each time you go through the process.
Basic setting, initiating

Special tools and equipment

V.A.G 1869 Brake filling and bleeder unit

Function 04 "Initiate basic settings" performs several functions:

Display group 001 is required to bleed the hydraulic system Page 01-91

Note:

The basic setting to bleed the hydraulic unit is only required when one chamber of the brake fluid reservoir is completely empty.

The basic setting is used to bleed the hydraulic unit only. The brake system must be bleed separately.

Repair Manual, Brake System, Repair Group 47

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

01-92

Display group number 01: Bleeding hydraulic unit.

Note:

All functions which could previously be performed with V.A.G 1551 can also be performed with the tester VAS 5051.

- Connect brake filling and bleeder unit V.A.G 1869.

- Connect V.A.G 1551 Scan Tool and select (address word 03) "Brake electronics" with ignition switched on; Page 01-23

Rapid data transfer HELP

Select function XX

Indicated on display

- Press keys 0 and 4. (The function "Initiating basic setting" is selected with 04).

Rapid data transfer Q

04 - Basic setting

Indicated on display

- Confirm entry with key Q.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

01-93

Basic setting HELP

Enter display group number XXX

Indicated on display:

- Press keys 0, 0 and 1
- Confirm entry with key Q.

System in basic setting 1

Depress pedal and hold...

Indicated on display:

- Operate pedal with substantial foot pressure and hold.
Pedal moves down
Hydraulic pump runs
Pedal comes back

System in basic setting 1

Rel. pedal; FR/FL bleed screw OPEN <3>

Indicated on display

- Press key 3 on VAG 1551 or arrow up key on VAS 5051.

System in basic setting 2

Please wait...(10 secs.)

Indicated on display

Hydraulic pump runs

System in basic setting 2

Depr. pedal 10X; bleed screw CLOSED <3>

Indicated on display

01-94

System in basic setting 3

Indicated on display

Pedal moves down
Hydraulic pump runs
Pedal comes back

System in basic setting 3

Indicated on display

System in basic setting 4

Please wait...(10 secs.)

Indicated on display

Hydraulic pump runs

System in basic setting 4

Indicated on display

01-95

System in basic setting 5

Indicated on display

Pedal moves down
Hydraulic pump runs
Pedal comes back

System in basic setting 5

Indicated on display

System in basic setting 6

Please wait...(10 secs.)

Indicated on display

Hydraulic pump runs

System in basic setting 6

Indicated on display

01-96

System in basic setting 7

Indicated on display

Pedal moves down
Hydraulic pump runs
Pedal comes back

System in basic setting 7

Indicated on display

System in basic setting 8

Please wait...(10 secs.)

Indicated on display

Hydraulic pump runs

System in basic setting 8

Indicated on display

01-97

System in basic setting 9

Indicated on display

Pedal moves down
Hydraulic pump runs
Pedal comes back

System in basic setting 9

Indicated on display

System in basic setting 10

Please wait...(10 secs.)

Indicated on display

Hydraulic pump runs

System in basic setting 10

Indicated on display

01-98

System in basic setting 11

Indicated on display

Pedal moves down
Hydraulic pump runs
Pedal comes back

System in basic setting 11

Indicated on display

System in basic setting 12

Please wait...(10 secs.)

Indicated on display

Hydraulic pump runs

System in basic setting 12

Indicated on display

01-99

System in basic setting 13

Indicated on display

Pedal moves down
Hydraulic pump runs

System in basic setting 13

Indicated on display

System in basic setting 14

Please wait...(10 secs.)

Indicated on display

Hydraulic pump runs

System in basic setting 14

Indicated on display

01-100

System in basic setting 15

Indicated on display

Pedal moves down
Hydraulic pump runs
Pedal comes back

System in basic setting 15

Indicated on display

System in basic setting 16

Please wait...(10 secs.)

Indicated on display

Hydraulic pump runs

System in basic setting 16

Indicated on display

01-101

System in basic setting 17

Partial bleeding ended

Indicated on display

- Press key.

Rapid data transfer HELP

Select function XX

Indicated on display

- Press keys -0- and -6- to end output.

Rapid data transfer Q

06 - End output

Indicated on display

- Confirm entry with Q key.

Rapid data transfer Help

Enter address word XX

Indicated on display

- Press C key.
- Switch ignition off.
- Disconnect connections to V.A.G 1551 Scan Tool.
- Bleed brake system.

The basic setting is used to bleed the hydraulic unit only. The brake system must be bleed separately.

Repair Manual, Brake System, Repair Group 47; Bleeding brake system, vehicles with and without ABS

jettajim

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Golf 6-spd, '12 Passat gasser:(
birdman, so what's the proper way to bleed the ABS? I read my paper Bentley and read nothing about specifically flushing the ABS unit. They only mention having to use a vagcom when switching units--and that's only to code it. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Jim

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well i wish i had kept the paper back sometimes. It comes in handy to keep in the car if i don,t have a laptop with me. Also the CD is a PITA to find things. Like the Brakes, bleeding the ABS is under a completely differant section than the Brake system itself.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Justin,

This is why you need to come to the GTG on May 03!!!
We could give you a hand.

L

andrewc

Veteran Member
TDI
none :( ....(gone) 98 NB 6spd
Justin,
I've had good experiences with doing a pressure bleed of the brake system. I made a low pressure bleeder similar to the one described here: http://www.bayarea02.com/techtips/brake_bleeder.html

A quick web search turned up a more fanatic approach that combines a pressure bleed with the brake pedal pumping approach:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/914_bleed_brakes/914_bleed_brakes.htm

http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/braketool/bleeder.htm

If you need a pressure bleed tool let me know - you are welcome to borrow mine - we can meet some morning at your choice of NJTP rest stops....and if you need a place to work that's possible also.

andrew

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
thanks, but I think I'm gonna attempt this down at my shop. I have a bypass oil filter kit to install at the same time.

jjvincent

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2K, Green
Just do the pump method. You car isn't old enough that you have to worry about pushing the pedal to the floor. Just don't push it to the floor for about the first 10 pumps and you'll be OK. Just go to a race sometime and watch how the teams bleed their brakes. On production based cars (even with ABS) they just pump them. Using the pressure bleeders are fine if you have unlimited funds to purchase brake fliud. Trust me, pumping works fine and I do it pretty often (especially when the pads only last about 6 hours).

zanzabar

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW 5spd (dual duty track car and daily driver beater)
Dudes, the Motive pressure bleeding system is really cool. Follow Cosmic's sweet procedure writeup from above, and you can bleed all four calipers and the clutch in 20 minutes! (After the car is jacked up and the wheels are off). I've not done it the way you all are describing, but it sounds time-consuming.

I'm confused by this "bleeding the ABS" talk. Doesn't this happen simply by flushing the furthest caliper (right rear) from the master cylinder and then each nearer one in succession? Doing this you really get lots of fluid from the right rear before new stuff comes out. Then the front left is super quick, since there's not much old fluid in the lines/ABS, right?

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
DD: if you're going to Bump this thread up for new-bies, you should also try and confuse them by mentioning that order of flushing the brakes has been reversed in the newer cars...

All the best,

Yuri.