funny emissions warning ?

peiphil

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat GLS TDI and big old Dodge Cummins TDI
The odd time when I first start the car I get yellow engine light and emissions info on dash
I only have an obd2 reader that just says p000 for a code
If I clear it it will never show up again that day or sometimes 2 or more days
How could it detect an emission problem just 2 seconds after starting it ?

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
The odd time when I first start the car I get yellow engine light and emissions info on dash
I only have an obd2 reader that just says p000 for a code
If I clear it it will never show up again that day or sometimes 2 or more days
How could it detect an emission problem just 2 seconds after starting it ?
Buy a vag-com, then scan it. Your OBDII reader is not giving you the proper info.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
I have both the vcds and torque pro. The torque pro is very nice but only does 25% of what the vcds does. I also have less than 20 bucks in it. It's great for live data and checking/clearing cels. It also runs off my smart phone which is easier to use driving than my lap top. My kid loves the hp calculator, while it's not accurate i think it's important to get the kiddos into car diagnostics at an early age. He likes to scan through all the live data gauges.

I also like that the torque pro works on all my vehicles at work as well as my 7.3 excursion diesel. My vcds fits my budget as i have many vw diesels(engines), if i only owned one and didn't turn my own wrenches i wouldn't consider it a must have item. Even then i waited to buy one that was used.

peiphil

Veteran Member
TDI
still wonder how it could do it so quick ?
Hard to justify buying a vagcom for a 12 year old car at my age !

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
buy a new car, the 04 and 05 Passat tdi's are really nice cars but at some point you throw in the towel. Life is so short why hamper yourself with a car prone to any number of failures, start fresh.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
buy a new car, the 04 and 05 Passat tdi's are really nice cars but at some point you throw in the towel. Life is so short why hamper yourself with a car prone to any number of failures, start fresh.
I disagree. If your 04/05 Passat TDI is in good shape, keep enjoying it. There is nothing to replace these cars with. I gave up on mine when the body was just too embarrassing to drive. The good news, it will be reincarnated at some point in AWD. I have the car, engine and correct trans sitting here....

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
This from a guy that drags totals from insurance pool yards and cobbles them back together again. :p

Seriously, if an MIL on is cause for "throwing in the towel", I'd have a lot of people with a lot newer cars doing so every week.

There isn't anything on the BHW I have ever seen that commands the MIL on that is a huge issue to remedy. Heck, half the stuff that many cars have that CAN turn on the MIL, the BHW isn't even equipped with! :cool:

peiphil

Veteran Member
TDI
Well guess its time to check glow plug wires when weather gets a little nicer !
It only does it on the odd day on first start up
I can drive it all day starting it as many as 20 times with no cel ever coming back on.
The car is very low milage and no rust never painted and drives perfect
When the light is on it don't make it act any different.

oilhammer

TDI
So... ignoring the scan tool comment then. Going to be difficult, time consuming, and costly to guess at what is wrong with the car. :(

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Customers that guess what's wrong with their car due to lack of tools/equipment/ability to properly diagnose repairs make up 35% of my yearly parts sales.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
^^^there are a lot of dumbxss mechanics that do the same, they throw parts at the car hoping one will fix it.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
You'd be shocked at the elementary questions small back yard technicians (who have ran their own shop for decades) ask me.

oilhammer

TDI
^^^^like I said buy a new car

Yep, that's what this guy did:

Made it just out of warranty.... and now he has to pay me to replace this:

Ah, new car indeed.... full of Chinese parts. This car has officially smoked past (no pun intended) my "old" Passat in terms of repairs, and it is over a decade newer! LMAO!!!

(oh, and there are not one, not two, but THREE Chinacool HVAC motors buried in the dash of the NMS Passat!). :rolleyes:

oilhammer

TDI
Sad thing is, the above pictured car has already had its water pump replaced too. And that is a HUGE job.... 5.9 hours labor. Yeah, there is no timing belt... but like that really makes a difference when the water pump fails LONG before a timing belt would be do AND costs more to do.

I tell ya, anyone that complains about something on an older car makes me laugh.

Oh, and the 2013 Chevy Cruze in the bay next to it.... getting its third turbocharger. :p Amazingly, it is somehow still on its original engine. A lot of the 1.4L turbos don't make it much past about 80k miles it seems.

peiphil

Veteran Member
TDI
Buy a new car is not very good advise for an older person on a pension
Just thought someone may have seen this same thing before ?
No one around here on this island has a vagcom
Any way not going to throw any parts at it still runs normal

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
Lots of people have seen an MIL before. Nobody can know what it means until a scan tool is used. OBD has been around since the early '80s, and although VAG was a little slow to embrace it, even they have been using it in some form or another starting in the late '80s, and by mid '90s everything they sold here had it... so be default EVERY TDI has it. So it isn't exactly anything "new".

Your car is 13 years old... who has been taking care of it up until now? What car(s) did you have before this? I would find it hard to believe that with all your years of wisdom under your belt that this is the very first time a warning light has shown up on one of your cars' instrument panels, but maybe it is?

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
Buy a Vagcom. Just think of it as a necessary part of the car, like a spare tire.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Buy a Vagcom. Just think of it as a necessary part of the car, like a spare tire.
The Pontiac solstice/saturn sky didnt think a spare was necessary. It came with a can of fix a flat

oilhammer

TDI
Lots of cars don't carry spare tires. I've never needed one myself. And we get cars towed (rollback) in here every day with flats, even when they DO have one. So what's the point? :p

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
I have an oem size spare in my excursion but 35s on it. Im not sure how well a spare will work asside from a back road limp home. I keep AAA.

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
I have needed them way to often to be without. 10 minute job verses What?

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
ahhh new car...the smell is infectious. Picked up a 2018 Equinox Premier for the wife, nice car, had a couple of guys in the back seems I unknowingly froze their bxlls off, pushed a few buttons then I froze my bxlls off, car in front of me braked a little quick, three bright red leds blasted on the heads-up along with a siren telling me to brake, in reverse you get a birds-eye view of the car alongside the tri colored goal post that bends as you turn, the drivers seat vibrates, car may have been ordered for a pimp? haven't figured what the vibrations are for? just a few modern conveniences that you find in a new car, wife is 75, your never too old for a new car, so keep plugging away at your dinosaur and remember you only go around once

I would have to do some major body work on my 09 Sky to fit any sort of spare in the trunk, if I get a flat Uber will get me home.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
In a couple of weeks I'm taking my 05 on a 1500 mile road trip, one way. I have 175000 miles on it, I treat it well, give me odds I make it there and back with no problems or should I take the wife's car?

Last edited:

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
If she's running trouble free I'd check fluids, air pressure and hit the road