How to block your front grill with pipe insulation

Thirstyturtle328

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
Yes, your stat is opening early. It will cost you mileage, so the sooner you change it, the sooner you will start saving cash.
Well if mileage is the only thing I won't worry about it. I consistently average 45mpg over 700-mile tanks so I don't think an early t-stat job will save more than it costs. I'll look into doing it early though, thanks!

jayoldschool

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
For the minimal cost of a stat, I would say you will make it up quickly. Low engine temps can also accelerate wear, and cause moisture buildup in the engine. I can post some nasty pics if you like.

steffen707

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS TDI
AC won't engage below 35F or something like that.

The engine air intake is on the drivers side, above the top slat of the top grille (the one with the VW logo). You only put the pipe insulation in the middle and bottom gaps in that grille.
Is this true? When I turn my A/C on it helps defrost the windows much faster than just the air blowing. I do this when the car is at any temp. The last few days in wisconsin have been in the -10 to -20 range, and upwards of -55 windchill factor. It seems to help putting the A/C on....

Also, my idparts VW mk4 winter cover kit that I got covers up the air intake area on the top right of the grill, just where the hook comes down. No known adverse effects yet. Still has plenty of power and get the same mileage. Of course its probably not covering it 100%, but then again, neither would pipe insulation.

jayoldschool

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
I don't think anyone has shown that the dealer stat operates better than an aftermarket stat (but I'm all ears). Let's be honest, these are all OEM stats that aren't working to design spec ;)

steffen707

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS TDI
I don't think anyone has shown that the dealer stat operates better than an aftermarket stat (but I'm all ears). Let's be honest, these are all OEM stats that aren't working to design spec ;)
"This is a comparison between the OE thermostat ($66 at my local dealer) and an aftermarket thermostat ($19). The aftermarket thermostat will not attach to the flange (pictured below). The pointy end is not big enough to catch on the 2 pins for installation. I recommend going with the original VW thermostat. The aftermarket one comes with a new O-ring. Tthe VW one did not so purchase an o-ring separately."

this came from http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a4/thermostat-ALH-VW-TDI-engine.htm

Now i've never replaced a thermostat in a jetta tdi, so I don't know if this guy just had a crappy oem $19 tstat or what, but when you keep hearing stuff about using VW parts, like the coolant temp sensor, i start to think that using VW parts is best.

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 MK4 Jetta (ALH) "Betty" (sold), 2005 MK4 Jetta (BEW) "Stinky-Pete"
a thermostat isn't designed for unlimited heating/cooling cycles...
doesn't matter which thermostat you choose just take the extra step in testing the operation in a pot of water that you bring to a boil on the stove.

jayoldschool

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
The aftermarket thermostat will not attach to the flange (pictured below). The pointy end is not big enough to catch on the 2 pins for installation. I recommend going with the original VW thermostat
Yes, I have read that, but I have yet to see where the OEM stat offers a performance advantage.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
I put in a Stant Superstat when I redid mine a year or so ago. Yes, of course OE is the best option, but I was in a hurry and the stealership on my way home didn't have one in stock. Advance did, and I was also able to use a coupon code to make it less expensive.

Seems to work fine. Time will tell if it continues to work for 6 years like the OE one did.

If working on someone else's car, I have only ever used brand new OE thermostats, water necks & o-rings... I can live with a redo on my own car but not on someone else's.

andy7079

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan, 2014 Touareg
Does anyone know how blocking off the front affects a regen on the CR's? I'm considering blocking off the front with foam, but I don't want to cause the under-hood temp to go too high during a regen. I know the radiator fans will turn on to move air under the hood. Blocking the front would seem to prevent this air movement.

During the last cold spell I had a regen start up while driving to work. It certainly helped bring the car up to temp. Otherwise after soaking in the parking garage at work in 0 deg F for 10 hours, the engine only reached about 170 on the 45 minute drive home (surface roads 30mph, plenty of stop lights).

jayoldschool

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
It's going to be cold again in Ottawa this week, and I've started daily driving my Jetta, so I stopped and picked up some pipe foam on the way home from work. $0.79/3' at Home Hardware, BTW. Got it in place in about five min working in my warm garage. I'll update tomorrow with coolant values. I've been watching closely without the foam.

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Maybe I missed it in the thread but has anybody noticed a change in their fuel mileage with the car heating up faster?

Also, has anybody with a defeated EGR & EGR Cooler blocked the radiator? Did it come up to operating temp faster and actually stay there?

Last edited:

jayoldschool

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
I'm back with an update. I'm not sure how much my foam has helped. Might be warming up faster, but no warmer on the top end. I'm still running about 66C-70C. I also replaced my coolant temp sensor.

RockRockRock

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW M6
I noticed a drop in MPG. Not sure if it's due to the winter blend changeover, or drop in temps. Went from 41 to 36 and I'm back to 39 but I have had to change my driving habits.

I did suspect it was caused by confusing the mapping tables. (IAT MAF and coolant are probably in places they don't normally reside)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LarBear

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG
installed foam right in front of the radiator yesterday because when it went on the grill the car looked like it had contracted a terrible disease. Got insulation for 3/4" copper pipe, but had to used a piece of 1" insulation on the bottom to keep the rest of the pipe from migrating down, and a couple of pieces of foam core placed vertically to keep the foam up against the radiator. Put it back together and went for a drive of about 12 or 13 miles, and it got up to 185° -190° F after 8-9 miles at 50-60 mph with the external temp at +16° F on the MFD. Mileage was about what I'd expect on the MFD so no apparent change there.

Not happy with the installation and I'm going to try foam core to block the radiator without dismantling the front of the car. Taking off the belly pan on the '13 doesn't allow the front of the radiator to be accessed.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I put some foam pipe insulation from Home Depot ($3 cheap stuff) on a few weeks ago. road trip to vt and back from va gave me 5 mpg more in similar below freezing weather. I did not cover the top gap, but did bottom and one row of the top.

as far as regens, the fan is needed when you are not moving, and unless you cover the whole thing, it should not be an issue. the fans should move enough air to take care if it.

benwah

TDI
2012 JSW CJAA
I know I'm late to the party, but I just did this 2 days ago (wish I did it in November), and needle off cold in 5 minutes / 2 miles, 190°F in about 12 minutes (forgot to look at mileage). This will do until I get my Frostheater installed.

Only covered the lower grille, all 4 bars of it.

Oh, and mileage SEEMS to have gone up. I'll confirm in a few tanks / weeks.

steffen707

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS TDI
Keep the insulation with the Frostheater. You'll get better MPG if you don't use the frostheater (leaving work, grocery store) and also it'll keep the coolant warmer. Just cold air blowing into the engine bay while idling lowers the temp of the coolant. I've noticed this with my scangauge.

I have the winter front for the top grill and use the pipe insulation below, because it covers the slots better. I have it all blocked, only noticed overheating when towing, and then its a 10 second job to take the top winter front covers off.

Tom W.

Veteran Member
TDI
mash-up GettaTDI150, 1986 Jetta Delux D, 2005 Passat TDI sedan
vw used to sell a grill cover.

anybody know why vw stopped selling winter grill covers?

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Winter is here...putting this To The Top!
Good call. I got fresh ones....last year's are missing/over-cut. I just do the bottom three, helps keep the heat in when idling for minutes at a time and keeps intercooler icing at bay. :)

(Temps monitored via Torque app.)

Ronstarman

Veteran Member
TDI
2/99 VW Jetta 1.9
Whatever floats your boat.Doesn't matter what color it is,it is only on for the cold months.Almost sounds like there is no snow or crappy weather that would make it dirty. If it works I don't care,i will put it on my car simply because I don't have the block heater and this will warm engine faster when driving.
Hell,i'm all for it and will tackle that job soon as rain stops,going to be a bit warm then insta-cold is coming soon. And for under $2 even a tightwad can afford it.
Ron
99 Jetta TDI 1.9 5 speed

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
It's time again, folks.

Installed mine last week - no more plummeting coolant temps when idling at red lights. Faster warm up, better heat retention, dirt cheap & effective!

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Any MKiV folks that did a radiator block with Coroplast AND pipe insulation in the grill?