Mercedes E250 Bluetec

What interests you about this thread?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

*zepman

TDI
Former 2012 Passat TDI SEL Current: 2014 e250 Bluetec
Do you think the radar braking saved you from a collision?

maybe, it applied more pressure to the brakes faster than i may have.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
Also reminder never paddle shift if there's a bad traction situation, weather, rain, cold, ice, water, debris, etc. Paddling will interfere with all the wonderful integrated automatic traction control and braking systems.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
horn

I don't like the horn knob. It's too hard to press real quick and sometimes it is turned past my hand and is a step away rather than right under my hand which is a split second too far. I guess I'll get better at it but it's a minus definitely. There's another problem which I have learned past, I confused the shift lever with the windshield wiper. I was and rarely still do cut the auto to neutral while driving, or get forward or reverse wrong. Very rarely now for me, but it has been in the press too. I overall really like the auto stalk, but it takes getting used to. The real wiper lever on the left is confusing too. It has too many click levels which don't do anything. I finally figured out the button on it makes a wipe. Going for the brights sometimes makes me mess with the cruise control. The climate control is wacky and annoying. I just use the fan level switch to run the heater, or I hit the Off button if not. At first I found myself looking around for the AC switch which kept coming on when I tried to turn on the heat, a serious problem any time you take your eyes off the road for that second. Now I mostly just feel for the fan switch to turn up the heat. The buttons on the roof are confusing. I can feel with my thumb for the moonroof switch, and I've learned to just use the center button for the map light if I'm parked. At first I'd hit the emergency call button, which can be cancelled by hanging up the phone, I use a cigarette lighter charger, I think it's faster than the usb. I took out my ash tray. Wow, talk about retro, and sickening. I like to keep my wheel all the way out and down on the adjustable. I'm tall so I slide the seat belt adjustment on the wall up. I keep flares and flashlights all over the car. I need a better tourniquet. I have a cheapo first aid kit, and the Mercedes first aid kit doesn't have a tourniquet. I also have tire inflater cans, triangle reflectors, duct tape,reflective vest, jumper cables, snow chains and a few tools in the trunk. I always have aspirin and ranitidine. Autozone has these 4"x1.5"metal led flashlights I really like. My key chain has a mirror on it. Got to get one of those window smashers.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
VW says (about CARB/EPA) "the new American tests have effectively added 40 per cent to the total emissions detected in tests". Hence the cancellation of the 2017 Bluetec until the 2018 can meet the new requirements I suppose.

Quote from:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/news/age-engine-downsizing-says-volkswagen/

Ok, no smaller engines it says. I'm not sure whether he's implying something about 4cyl diesels. If so, he's delusional that VW is the "trend" setter when they failed to make a clean 4cyl diesel, lied about it and got kicked offshore (diesel-wise). Other brands did succeed in meeting EPA/CARB visionary regulations, kudos to them all. They are the trend setters, MB and BMW and maybe Chevy. I haven't heard any despairing coming from them, they are investing in the future of clean diesel.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
There is a lot of buzz re who goes after VWs diesel market. Namely Mazda and Chevy seem to be zeroed in with Chevy having the recent track record here. I think this fall they announce thier 2018s with a diesel option. MB may too, then or later in 18.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Mercedes Announces 2018 E220 with Bluetec Option

at the Detroit Auto Show with a "four-cylinder diesel engine that can deliver up to 194 hp." I don't need a new car. I don't need a new car. (It's working.) I don't need a ...

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
I think only the diesel coupe is coming here for now. Not sure.

Coupe:

https://video.search.yahoo.com/sear...iew&id=1&vid=40529a4bebab70717a1f8ccd3d73e8d5
The old "you only live once" bit just can't cut it this time. I've got a car. There's also "drive to live" not "live to drive". So no, short of finding a million in a trash bag or something, I will not own one of these. But if I was 20 years younger, would probably just grab it and realize I'd have to pay for it when I paid my taxes, no wait I just did that. Somebody point out that there's more to life than a shiny new car. Right? I'm sure I feel that way, deep down inside, there's a me I'm proud of, with values of sacrificing for love, or even for the collective good, he's there,good boy, stop, what are you doing, that's the Mercedes Dealer, not Jerry's Kids.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
If I was buying this car now, I'd get a used one with 20-50k miles on it for $35-40k. Even if the E220D comes out, I'd wait to buy it used. Simple fact is I have a car I'm satisfied with. I bought it new in August 2015, maybe I should have shopped used even then, but now I have a 2015 with 20k on it, worth 40k if I sold it. I don't have any solid reason to want a new car, if I total my car, I'd still get the used E250BT unless some dealer would make me a deal I couldn't refuse, which is phantasy. I won't be owning the E220D for at least another 4 years when it may start coming off lease, and I'd still have to have a reason such as the 2015 is off warranty and becoming a money pit, which I highly doubt based on it's 100% record so far. I may be retired in 4 years and the idea of spending on a shiny new car may not have the appeal it still does.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Seat modifier #392

Once again, I changed my seat. I now have a large O'Reilly's lumbar cushion laying thick end back on the seat covered by a bead mat. The mat has a seat and back bead part joined by cloth in the center. The two piece mat allows me to fold the mat on the rear of the seat. The lumbar cushion and mat makes a hump on the rear of the seat under my pelvis which raises my hips off the bolsters. I had to lower my seat a bit but that is OK especially in that I don't feel cramped by the wheel. So far looks like a winner. If I make it so far this time I forget it's there I'll post the pictures. I always like bead mats since they lower in/out friction and are ventilating. It's not that I'm too cheap to try a CONFORMAX seat cushion, it seems I have to try everything else first for some reason.

Last edited:

*zepman

TDI
you can always borrow my comfortmax cushion as i'm not currently using it.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Good news is I am very happy with my current fix and will post pictures soon. Massive win on the seat issue.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Pictures of the great seat fix!

See post #344 for description of the pictures. I have been sitting on this for about a month now and it seems to be smoothing out it's little edges by me sitting on it. If I take a road trip in it and it holds comfort for hours I'll declare victory. For now the truce is holding.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
There are 5 or more owner members here:

Inquiring minds want to know, how are your cars?

*zepman

TDI
car is good, i've noticed some fading on the Burl wood trim, so i have to take it for a trim replacement.

Which dealer do you use for warranty service ?

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
08 R350 gasser
My TDI guru is doing maintenance for this one as well
Presently I'm happy that it's not a Bluetec- chain stretch, oil cooler leaks, turbo, and injector seal leaks.
Gasser version is less problematic, it seems
The seats are very comfortable IMO and the cabin is very spacious.
I've never had anything this big. It's a wonderful road machine.
Passat is still my DD. R350 is for long distance travel.
I will miss the diesel, but I think my anxiety level will be lower
Over time I will be watchful for how the new 4cyl MB diesel pans out.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
08 R350 gasser
My TDI guru is doing maintenance for this one as well
Presently I'm happy that it's not a Bluetec- chain stretch, oil cooler leaks, turbo, and injector seal leaks.
Gasser version is less problematic, it seems
The seats are very comfortable IMO and the cabin is very spacious.
I've never had anything this big. It's a wonderful road machine.
Passat is still my DD. R350 is for long distance travel.
I will miss the diesel, but I think my anxiety level will be lower
Over time I will be watchful for how the new 4cyl MB diesel pans out.
None of the problems you list have occurred on the E250 Bluetec.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
car is good, i've noticed some fading on the Burl wood trim, so i have to take it for a trim replacement.

Which dealer do you use for warranty service ?
DTLA. They have been A+ so far. Loaners are new gassers just to remind how nice a diesel is. I have the Black Ash I think it's called. No problems so far. Looks great with the chrome and the beige dash and seats.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
De-Car Move

Think getting out of the car is a no brainer? Not for my brain. So here's the move: Plant left foot outside towards back as is convenient, then push off with right foot against the center well wall, thus shifting weight onto left foot. before lifting right foot out. I used to use an inferior technique: plant left, then shift weight out by hooking left elbow outside door.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Ding Ding Another Owner Here.

2004PassatTDI is the 5th or 6th E250 Bluetec owner here. Congratulations. Hope to hear all about it soon. Other owners here: bobdfsh, drivebywire, *zepman, camarones, ssamalin and now 2004PassatTDI. Let's drive coast to coast tag team. That's a half a tank each. Easy. camarones is a GLK 250BT owner actually I think. Hope everybody checks in about their cars soon.

Last edited:

*zepman

TDI
2004PassatTDI is the 5th or 6th E250 Bluetec owner here. Congratulations. Hope to hear all about it soon. Other owners here: bobdfsh, drivebywire, *zepman, camarones, ssamalin and now 2004PassatTDI. Let's drive coast to coast tag team. That's a half a tank each. Easy. camarones is a GLK 250BT owner actually I think. Hope everybody checks in about their cars soon.

Checking in... currently at the stealership, replacing the fading burl wood trim and the drivers seat, as the the tech found that the foam has collapsed.

now with a gasser e300 '17 - hopefully not for long

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Checking in... currently at the stealership, replacing the fading burl wood trim and the drivers seat, as the the tech found that the foam has collapsed.
now with a gasser e300 '17 - hopefully not for long
You mean they are changing the foam on your seat, or your whole seat? I don't think my problem with my seat had anything to do with collapsed foam. In fact, I am using a foam lumbar cushion under a folded bead mat in the back of my seat (see my pictures above). I'd be interested if I could switch to a different seat. I'm giving my seat a B right now, having found the right cushions/beads. I really haven't thought about it since I first used my setup about 6 weeks ago. Occasionally when I drive I adjust how I sit, but there's no pain. I'm waiting for a road trip to really test it out since I rarely drive for over an hour at a time around here.

Last edited:

*zepman

TDI
You mean they are changing the foam on your seat, or your whole seat? I don't think my problem with my seat had anything to do with collapsed foam. In fact, I am using a foam lumbar cushion under a folded bead mat in the back of my seat (see my pictures above). I'd be interested if I could switch to a different seat. I'm giving my seat a B right now, having found the right cushions/beads. I really haven't thought about it since I first used my setup about 6 weeks ago. Occasionally when I drive I adjust how I sit, but there's no pain. I'm waiting for a road trip to really test it out since I rarely drive for over an hour at a time around here.
Got a call from the service adviser, who said they are having trouble with the seat, i don't know if they've replaced the whole bottom of the seat, or just the foam, i presume it's the foam. - i'll let you know.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Got a call from the service adviser, who said they are having trouble with the seat, i don't know if they've replaced the whole bottom of the seat, or just the foam, i presume it's the foam. - i'll let you know.
My supplies to mod my seat at O'Reilly's: the lumbar seat cushion and bead seat cover, about $39. It even looks good with my beige naugahyde. Trick is the lumbar is a wedge shape and I place the thick end toward the seat back, and the bead cover has cloth between the bead sections so it folds there without a lump. These place the hump I build back against the seat back and under my pelvis, not on the front of the seat where it would press into my legs. This is a lot of solution to a mean problem for 39 bucks.

Last edited: